Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Mom's Cat

I guess i have to have my mom's cat put to sleep today. When i use to stay at my mom's house and take care of her, this cat would stay in bed with me all night. i promised her that someday i would repay her and i did when my mom had to go to the "home", I took her cat, Funky, as my own. That was about three years ago. She is a good cat and I love her so much. She is the last living thing i have of my mom's. Last night she got sick and now today i take her to the vet. I am sure i will have to have her put to sleep, she is by the way, about 17 years old. Just kind of like losing my mom all over again. I always felt my mom's spirit was inside Funky. Sounds dumb, i guess.

Anyway, wish me luck.

Hi Deb,

I completely know how you're feeling right now, I have a 20 year old cat, and a couple of months ago I thought I would lose him, but he recovered. I hope there is something they can do for Funky :closedeyes:

I know what you mean about sometimes thinking your Moms spirit is in Funky, I also think that my Dads spirit lives in my cat, sometimes in the way he looks at me, or comforts me, I'm sure it's my Dad !!

Well, just know that I understand, and I hope for a miracle for Funky. Please let us know what happens. If it does happen that they have to put her to sleep, perhaps you can look at it as -She and your Mom will be "reunited", and I'm sure your Mom would love that.

Wishing you Peace, and Love.

Jodi

Thanks to all of you for your good thoughts and well wishes, unfortunately I had to have her put to sleep yesterday. It was heart failure and not fixable. I did not stay with her when they put her to sleep, would have been too much to handle. They promised me to hold her tight till she went fully to sleep before giving her the second shot. They are good people there and i believe them.

Yes, I am choosing to believe that my mom and Funky are now reunited. That I was just taking care of her for my mom until Funky's day to go to Heaven. I believe that pets go to Heaven, though people say they don't have spirits. Why would God create such wonderful animals?

Thanks again for being here for me, as always.

Deb, dear, I'm so sorry for your loss of Funky ~ and you're absolutely right to think of her as an important link to your mom, even the embodiment of your mom's spirit, if that's what brings you comfort. And of course that's why this feels like a double loss for you, since you've had to let go of yet another physical connection to your mom. It's almost as if Funky was wise enough to extend her stay here on earth so she could help you adjust to your mom's physical absence. Such selfless, loving creatures these animals are!

What a beautiful thought, however, to think of your mom and her precious kitty reunited once again, and I know they will stay together forever in your heart!

This is only my personal opinion, of course, but I do believe with all my heart that these precious souls do go to heaven (wherever that may be) and they wait for us to arrive. As a very wise man once said, if our beloved animals don't go to heaven, then I don't want to go there, as it wouldn't be heaven for me. Just let me go wherever they do go instead

Deb,

I am so sorry for your loss of Funky. I love the thought of Funky reuniting with your mom. When my mother passed on, it brought some comfort to think that she was reuniting with her beloved cats -- Crissie, Skipper, and Willie, who was with her towards the end of her life. May have been others too. I have heard psychics talk about this happening. It is also a comforting thought for us too. Take care.

Hi to all I am feeling sad christmas is not far away and this will be the first without Mom. I know its going to be hard because I always decorated and made it so nice for her and dont feel like doing it now. At night I cry when I think of the past days and there will be no more holidays with her. Her death is still so fresh. Missing mom at home. Pattysmooth

Patty: here is what we do on Christmas. I take a small decorated tree to the gravesite for my mom and dad. This is only my 3rd Xmas without her and, sadly, I am getting used to her not being here. I don't understand that feeling and don't necessarily like it, but I do feel it. I miss her so much and love her more than words can say.

• 4 weeks later...

Deb didn't get a chance to go to the graveyard. It would have been too painful to put something on her grave. I just couldn't this year. Was very depressed on Christmas eve as we always opened gifts and she was so happy. I spent Christmas with other family members so that helped but felt bad that she was gone. Cried over the week and theres no getting over it. How are you? Hope you are doing okay. All we can do is remember there watching over us. Hugs.