Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Little Boy, Jackson, Has Cancer

Paws Forever

My dog Jackson was diagnosed with cancer just before Christmas. He just had another ultrasound last Friday and tumors on his spleen and liver have grown much bigger in such a short period of time. I'm having a real hard time dealing with the inevitable. Jackson has been my constant companion for 12 years. He has gone to work with me every day for that 12 years. I don't know how I'm going to get through the loss and deal with the enormous hole that will be left when he's not with me anymore. My last dog also died from cancer -- in March of 1999. That just seems to make this time even more unbearable.

P.

Dear P,

I am so sorry that your buddy has been diagnosed with cancer. Our pets are family members and the threat of losing one is frightening and sad. I have been down that road and I currently have an 8 1/2 year old Golden Retriever who is assisting me with the loss of my husband. You will get through it. You came to a good place as all of us here are dealing with loss and really support each other. Hope you come back as you will get embraced as you go through this.

Peace,

Mary

My dear friend, I'm so sorry to learn of Jackson's serious illness. As you can see, you are among kindred spirits here, since we are animal lovers of the first order, so at least you are not alone as you face the difficult and challenging days ahead. If you haven't found it already, you might want to visit Kerry Malak's website, Georgia's Legacy, a Canine Cancer Resource. It is packed with useful information. Meanwhile, please know that we are pulling for you and your buddy

Marty, this site is incredible. I have always wondered what will get Bentley in the end thinking that cancer might be it as his father and mother died with/of it. I try not to dwell on it but having this site in my file will be so helpful if I ever have to deal with this. Cancer is very common in Goldens. Thanks, Mary

Hi and I am so sorry for what you are going thru! I know it is aweful to focus on the ending and life after they are gone. For me, I had to MAKE myself dwell instead on the wonderful life they had with me (I have had four so far) and how empty my life would have been without them. The loss has stayed with me, that spot in my heart will forever be theirs. I count the moments till I can join them at the rainbow bridge and sometimes I hate this life without them. But here I am stuck in one more day of doing what ever, so I make it count for someone still alive. I help with feeding pets whose owners are stuggling, have a therapy dog to replace with work of one I lost (no one could replace Junebug) and in 15 minutes I am going to talk to animal techs about the value of Hospice and what hospice can do for the families of pets.

I hope you will share your journey with us, we have all been there (and in my case anyway, will be again). Please know that what ever you are feeling you are so welcomed in this group. We will be there for you as much as you let us!

What are you doing now to treasure time with him?

Hugs

CJ

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful replies. I'm grateful to have found this website and discussion group. I'm sure I'll be visiting and writing often as my time with Jackson grows shorter. I've already felt some comfort just knowing I've found a safe place to share what I'm feeling. To CJ, I don't miss a single opportunity to kiss Jackson on his cute little noggin and tell him I love him. Though he sleeps a lot, he will still bring a toy to me so I can throw it for him and I always stop what I'm doing - even at work - to spend a few minutes playing fetch.

Anyway, thank you again, all.

P.

I am sorry to hear you dog has cancer. I lost my cat, King George, to cancer at the age of 19. It is very hard to watch our pets suffer, but going through that last bit of time with them is very special. My prayers are with you as you go through this, I know it's hard. We're here whenever you want to talk.

Dear Paws -- I am so very sorry to hear your sad story and know the sorrow you already feel wih Jackson's diagnosis.

Our beloved companion, William, was put to sleep on Friday. I am finding help here. Please know you will be embraced during your journey. Please come back and let us know how you are doing.