Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Am I Losing My Mind?

Guest babylady

Guest babylady

i talk to my late husband. i ask him if he wants to taste the food i'm eating. a little while ago i offered him some ice cream and asked him if he was going to watch "boston pops" with me.

maybe what i'm doing is healthy -- maybe it's not.

Who really knows what's healthy? I mean really. Dick has been gone for 4 years and I still talk to him. I tell him what I'm thinking, I am trying to get over a head cold and I tell him how terrible I feel and whine about that. Who else is going to listen to me? I tell him the pros and cons of decisions I need to make, I speak out loud. It helps me make the decision.

If I make something to eat that he really liked, I tell him how good it tastes and that I wish he was here to share with me. I ask him if he can see the silly things the dogs are doing and aren't they cute?

We need to find our own comfort to help us through a really terrible time. I believe that!

Anne

I think the rule of thumb here is to do whatever brings us comfort ~ In grief, that is a very individual matter, and each of us can best judge that for ourselves. Always remember that grief is not a pathological condition. It is a normal reaction to significant loss, and there is no right or wrong way to "do" it.

I can't see that it hurts. Anyone who would criticize hasn't been through it so their perspective doesn't matter anyway. I talk to George, write to him, think about him, he will always be with me, I carry him in my heart. I never thought to offer him food but I know he'd love that, food was of very high importance to him!! :)