Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A New Year Filled With Healthy And Healing Choices

mfh

As we begin a new year we frequently see it as an opportunity to make some new choices especially in self care. This article on getting better sleep might be helpful. A good night's sleep can be challenging during the journey through days of grief. And sleep is absolutely essential to healing. So, I start this topic for suggestions to create health and healing in 2014.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/27/cant-sleep_n_4480216.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

I like this link. I just read some of the articles again over the last few weeks. One of my favorite ones is “My New Year’s Gratitude not Resolution List” by Jan Wagner. I like her wit and can relate to how she talks to herself. Something I do all the time – talk to myself. I sometimes have to talk myself into getting out of my pjs on physical therapy days – like today! Benji has been fed, had his play time and I sip my morning coffee watching the fire glow in the fireplace in the early morning and would just love to stay right in my chair but that’s not going to happen today – it’s off to get dressed and then to PT.

I really like this thread - Tools for Healing. I hope others find it as helpful as I do.

In Mindfulness meditation, one begins by stating "wishes" for ourselves, then for someone we have a difficult time with, then that special person/s we love so much, then those around us (home, village, city), then those on the planet and finally all living beings (I include Mother Earth in that) everywhere. Here is one version (your can create your own, of course) of this "prayer". Just change the person as you repeat it.

"May I be safe and protected.
May I be peaceful and happy.
May I be healthy and strong.
May I have ease of well-being, and accept all the conditions of the world.
May I love myself just as I am.
May I sense my worthiness and well-being.
May I trust this world.
May I hold myself in compassion.
May I meet the suffering and ignorance of others with compassion."
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Second time: May xxxxxxx be safe and protected. Third time....substitute your beloved and other beloveds. Keep going inserted new names/people/groups each time.

May all here experience healing and peace in this new year.

Mary

Stop! Look! Go!

The Recipe for Grateful Living

by Br. David Steindl-Rast OSB

A blessed New Year to you and to all those close to your heart!

Let’s open our eyes and recognize 2014 for what it really is:
A wonderful tree heavy with harvest -- every day of all four seasons.
And let’s practice the trick for harvesting this abundance of gifts.
The trick is: STOP / LOOK / GO -- the recipe for grateful living.

Stop! -- so that you will not hurry past the gift this moment offers you.
Look! -- so you will recognize this gift: the opportunity available now.
Go! -- that means: Do something with this precious opportunity!

Practicing stop, look, go! -- over and over -- that is the recipe for true joy.
May you experience this joy that springs from living gratefully, in 2014.

For all of us at A Network for Grateful Living (ANG*L),
Your brother David

post-15704-0-46924700-1388527159_thumb.j

post-14525-0-83098300-1388677293_thumb.j

It is frequently the little things we do each day that helps us go forward. Taking a nap, meditating for just 5 minutes, calling a friend when we need to talk, posting here, saying 'no' when it feels right....the list is long but those little choices make a huge difference on this journey through our labyrinths of grief.

Thank you for all these great articles and ideas. I've never been a fan of New Year resolutions because they never worked and just made me feel worse about myself. Recently, I read an article about focusing on how to change habits rather than goals that were too big and vague. Combined with my memory of the first New Year after the death of my daughter, it inspired me to write an article, "Looking for Hope in the New Year". Small, baby steps to inspire new, healthy habits when faced with overwhelming grief.

Good Morning, Maria. What a beautiful post to wake up to. Thank you for writing such an inspiring article remembering your beautiful daughter. I am so sorry for your loss. Margareta has such sparkling eyes.

I found that your article has many doable ideas about what we can do when we have lost a loved one. Resolutions have definitely taken on a different meaning for me. I really like the idea of "changing habits" and I believe that we can move ever so slowly toward a more positive life as we continue to carry our loved ones in our hearts.

I loved the beautiful, colorful pictures of your Margareta in the article "Fun With Coloring" - how precious.

Happiness to you this New Year.

Anne

Maria, Thank you for the wonderful article you shared here. I do like the idea of small goals that people will actually be able to accomplish. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet daughter. I do understand how your first New Year's was so difficult...i.e. starting a new year when you are devastated.

I wish you peace on your journey,

Mary

• 2 months later...

Sleep....one of our most helpful tools as we grieve.

Here is what happens when we sleep: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/07/your-body-does-incredible_n_4914577.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000030