Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Heartbroken

Smb

I lost my dog on 1/6/2015. I was out of town and my boyfriend didn't tell me until I got home. I came in expecting her to greet me and asked where she was. When I heard the news I didn't believe it at first and was frantically searching my house for her. I had a bond with Piper that was probably stronger than one with a person. She was my shadow. She was so loving. I feel guilty that I went out of town and wasn't there for her when she needed me most. She just collapsed in the snow on her daily walk.My boyfriend rushed her to the vet, but it was too late. They think it was either her heart or brain. I have been a disaster since finding out. I'm unable to sleep and I had to call off work. I was hoping for any sort of advice that you guys can give with ways to help with grieving. I layed on her dog bed just so I could try and smell her again. I even have called her name hoping to hear dog tags coming my way. I've bought a couple books but they really haven't helped. My heart just feels empty. The other dog is depressed too which makes me feel bad because I've just been crying. Thanks for listening.

Dear Smb,

I am so very sorry for your loss of Piper. How very tragic for you. It is way to soon for you to not be heartbroken. I am sure you have many things you want to attend to. Was Piper’s remains saved for you so you can either bury her or have her cremated? You can always have a service for her and be sure and have your other dog present. Animals do miss those who have been part of the family.

What you are experiencing is very normal. Anyone who is an animal lover understands the pain of losing their precious pet.

Anne

Yes, I know this must be so hard for you. I am glad you have Piper's paw print and some of her fur.

It must be so hard to have had no warning. Keep posting. When I lost my Benji I thought I'd never get over it.

This forum helped me and I'm doing a little better even though I'll always miss him.

Anne

My friend, your Piper died just two days ago ~ and suddenly and unexpectedly at that. It's no wonder that you're still in a state of shock and disbelief. You've already done one of the best things you can do for yourself, which is to find fellow animal lovers, right here in this forum, who understand this kind of grief because we've all experienced it, too. In time we will point you to some articles that will help you to better understand your own reactions, along with suggestions on what you can do to manage them. For right now, please just let yourself sit with the pain of all of this, and know that you are not alone. We are here for you, and we care.

I am so sorry, that is one of the hardest losses there is, we are so close to our dogs. To have it happen when you're away just seems doubly hard. It must have been horrible for your BF too, not knowing how to tell you and feeling terrible over it.

It's all still so raw and fresh, you can expect it to hurt for quite some time, but little by little it should get easier to cope...easier to cope, but you'll still miss her. I'm glad they made a paw print and you're having her cremated. I hope it brings you a measure of comfort to have her ashes with you.