Grief Healing Discussion Groups

List Of Books I Have Read Or Are Reading

Hello to all,

I wanted to share some information with each of you - in the hope that somewhere in what I am about to provide there are some answers to the passage we all find ourselves manuvering through. Since my partner died on 7-31-05 I have found help from many different sources - reading, writing (journaling, poems and songs) individual counseling, freinds and family and soon - a group counseling session. Below please find the list of books - and authors - of books - I have read or am in the process of reading. It is really a great source of information on grief. I hope some of it finds its way to your bedside reading material - and into your heart. It is one piece of the puzzle that has helped me learn and guide me through the healing process.

Here is the list:

Grief Bibliography

1. Surviving the death of your Spouse - Livinson

2. Care giving * - McLead

3. Grief’s Outrages Journey - Caplan

4. Life and Loss - Deits

5. Chicken Soup for the Grieving Soul - Canfiled/Hanson

6. Wherever your go – There you are * - Kabat-Zinn

7. Unattended Sorrow * - Levine

8. Surviving Grief and learning to Live again * - Sanders

9. The Mourning Handbook - Fitzgerald

10. Healing your grieving heart - Wolfelt

11. Life Lessons * - Kubler-Ross/Kesler

12. How to go on living when someone dies * - Rando

13. A year to live * - Levine

14. Letting go with love * - Connor

15. The dying time * - Furman/McNabb

16. Companion through the darkness * - Ericsson

17. Don’t let death ruin your life * - Brooke

18. A time to grieve * - Staudacher

19. Too soon old too late smart * - Livingston

20. The art of Forgiveness, Lovingness and Peace * - Kornfield

21. Grieving mindfully * - Kumar

22. When your Spouse dies - Curry

23. Five good Mnutes - Millstine

24. Healing After Loss (I have not read yet)- Hickman

25. The Power of NOW (I have not read yet) - Tolle

26. Gay Widowers – life after the death of a partner* - Michael Shernoff

27. A Journey through Grief (I have not yet read) - Alla Bozarth

28. When Bad things happen to Good people -

(I have not read yet) Harold S. Kushner

29.The Grief Recovery Handbook (I have not read yet) - John W. James & Frank Cherry

30. Ambiguous Loss (I have not read yet) - Pauline Boss

31. The Precious Present (I have not reed yet) - Spencer Johnson

My best to each of you,

John - Dusky is my handle on here

John,

Thanks so much for this extensive list! I think I've read the one by Hickman, but don't really remember if I liked it alot or not. If you remember, how did you find "A Year to Live" by Levine? I've often thought I should read that one, but don't know if I could accomplish what's in it very well. What's "Unattended Sorrow" about? I have read "The Power of NOW" by Tolle, and would think it would likely be a good companion to "Grieving Mindfully" as it deals with ONLY the Present....not something I'm good at, either. I've also read "Wherever You Go..." but again, haven't managed to apply those ideas much, either.

I'm currently reading "Easy Death" by Avatar Adi Da Samraj, and am having nothing but problems with this one. It's bringing up so many fears, it's not funny!

You do so much for so many, John, as well as all the past and ongoing things in Jack's memory....you're one heck of a person and I admire your strength and determination in your oh-so-challenging journey. I'm sure Jack ( or his energy, however it works )is just beaming with love for you, as your efforts radiate outward in unceasing circles. God Bless.

Edited by Maylissa

John....Thank you for the list .......I have ordered one book and I am always looking for some other way to help me through this terrible path.....I went to a one night counseling session on surviving the holidays but somehow it is much easier here to bear my feelings and fears.....

Thanks to everyone that contributes to this web-site.....you all have been a great help....

Funnyface

John,

Thanks so much for this extensive list! I think I've read the one by Hickman, but don't really remember if I liked it alot or not. If you remember, how did you find "A Year to Live" by Levine? I've often thought I should read that one, but don't know if I could accomplish what's in it very well. What's "Unattended Sorrow" about? I have read "The Power of NOW" by Tolle, and would think it would likely be a good companion to "Grieving Mindfully" as it deals with ONLY the Present....not something I'm good at, either. I've also read "Wherever You Go..." but again, haven't managed to apply those ideas much, either.

I'm currently reading "Easy Death" by Avatar Adi Da Samraj, and am having nothing but problems with this one. It's bringing up so many fears, it's not funny!

You do so much for so many, John, as well as all the past and ongoing things in Jack's memory....you're one heck of a person and I admire your strength and determination in your oh-so-challenging journey. I'm sure Jack ( or his energy, however it works )is just beaming with love for you, as your efforts radiate outward in unceasing circles. God Bless.

Maylissa,

The Book "A Year to live" by Levine - is an excellent book - well worth anyones time to read. "Unattended Sorrow" is also very good and takes the reader through the greif process. levine is an excellent autor and any of his books are worthwhile.

When I sent out my list of books I had put (*) next to the ones that I found especially useful - and both these books by Levine have that mark. I think they would be good ones for you to read.

I wish you peace.

John - Dusky is my handle on here

I must say a heart Amen to that! John (Dusky), you are really incredible, we appreciate you!