Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Taking Stock.....After Forty One Days

Decided to take a constructive look at myself after 6 weeks since I lost my Angela....My concern is I developed a Morning habit of  drinking in the local Pub on a Daily basis. It's a morning chit chat session that is talk about News, Sports, and weather. But I do consume about 6 Beers without breaking a sweat. And I do find once you get the Beers in you , your motivation to do anything else but have a nap is gone. I sincerely believe this excessive drinking is a symptom of my Grief(coping mechanism) and should work its way through the process. On the positive side, I started going to the Gym at 5 AM to get the day started with a jump........that combined with my Golf walks should keep my Health in check., diet this time of year is 75% veggies and Dairy.......tomorrow I will slowly switch to low Cal Beer...hopefully maintain my Energy and feel a little better about myself.........The Grief will always be apart of me, and I will deal with it with a smile, it is something I'm proud of......Love you Ang 

Hi Kevin.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear Angela.  I'm concerned about your routine of drinking.  I pray you are seeing a trained grief counselor or will consider doing so.  He or she can help you learn coping skills to replace the drinking.  This journey is one very utterly raw and painful one.  I lost my precious Mary almost nine months ago.  My whole world.  

Many hugs and lots of prayers.  You may not believe in prayer but I do and will pray for you my friend in grief. 

Butch. 

Alcohol is a depressant...something you don't need right now.  Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel better, so going to the gym is a great choice.  I agree that a grief counselor would be a positive step in the right direction.

Day 51 according to my Journal and life is moving forward........Cut down on my Pub visits and concentrating on diet,exercise, and overall wellness....(Goal is to lose 15 # by Christmas). Approached by someone yesterday about condolences and I couldn't talk, now the next time I see her I will be OK.....it is always the first encounter I go funny with people......Got a note the other day, author was "Elizabeth Kuber Ross"...The reality is that you will Grieve forever. You will not "get over" the loss of a loved one: you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but will never be the same. Nor should you be the same , nor should you want to...........this is Good and to the Core.....

.The reality is that you will Grieve forever. You will not "get over" the loss of a loved one: you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but will never be the same. Nor should you be the same , nor should you want to........

I love this .. the healing part is the hardest to achieve 

Edited by Harleyquinn

It does take effort and time.  Loss and grief changes us.  In my honest opinion, I don't think altogether for the worse, I've seen good come through my grief journey, but it hasn't been easy or fun, and isn't something you'd wish on anyone.  Still, I'd say it develops dimension within us.

Kevin, I had been doing the same. For the past few weeks after losing my husband I had started my morning with half a bottle of white wine. Then sitting on the balcony until it would get too hot to be outside (austin, texas). Something about being inside our house in the mornings, it now being so quiet, was just impossible for me. Next week, I will start going to the gym first thing in the morning instead. As I had been doing for the past year until the day he went into cardiac arrest unexpectedly at age 30, 4 weeks ago