Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief group

Degasgirl

Just wanted to share that I found a grief support group for daughters who lost their mothers. It has been wonderful. It's only been twice but I am finding it to be a source of comfort to sit with others who are going through the exact type of loss as I am. I know these kind of groups might not be for everyone but I just wanted to share my own experience in case anyone is considering one. It's been a very positive experience for me. I wish none of us even had to think about any of this but it's nice to be around others who totally get what you are going through.

That's great.  If I lived anywhere near the city, I might have considered one myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I am finding that in the Nashville Tn area there are no group grief counseling places unless it is religion based.  Religion and I are no longer friends.  We do not speak. I have called Hospice, every funeral home within 50 miles, and they are all for suicide grievers.  

I will keep trying.  My daughter and I thought we found one but nope - suicide again.

I am finding that in the Nashville Tn area there are no group grief counseling places unless it is religion based.  Religion and I are no longer friends.  We do not speak. I have called Hospice, every funeral home within 50 miles, and they are all for suicide grievers.  

I will keep trying.  My daughter and I thought we found one but nope - suicide again.

I have found this same thing in Chicago! I found it very depressing and I have pretty much given up the search. I found a hospital that was somewhat close to me, called their bereavement department and never heard back. For some reason it makes me even more depressed that I have chase them down at a time like this. Everything I come across is for suicide grievers, or death of children. Those are the top two, than then death of a spouse or pet. I was looking for general bereavement or death of a sibling. Those are almost nonexistent.

I thought about starting one of my own but am not that type of leader, nor am I in that state of mind to want to run something or have the time. And churches and hospitals have things posted in their websites but when you call around they don't know what you are talking about, as they usually have it on an "as needed" basis which means they don't have it all. I feel sad that I can't find that kind of support. Even online has had slim pickings as a lot of sites or chat rooms, either people post comments days and weeks later or it's been months since the last posts. It's frustrating and very upsetting.

Unfortunately, despite the lack of energy we feel when we are in mourning, sometimes the only way to find the support we need is to keep on searching for it.

Hollowheart, have you considered contacting The Compassionate Friends? They have chapters all over the country. See The Compassionate Friends: Grief Support for Siblings

The Open to Hope foundation offers resources for bereaved siblings as well. (Its Executive Director Heidi Horsley is herself a bereaved sibling.) See: Hope After Loss of a Sibling

See also some of the resources listed on Grief Healing's webpage here: Death of a Sibling or Twin

MartyT, yes I have looked at Compassionate Friends. I actually found out about them from YouTube videos and someone referred me to them. The location is very far for me, I'm on public transportation, but I might end up checking them out at least once out of desperation. It depends on how I feel. Just even more frustrating having to hike across the city for this stuff too. Ok, I'm just in a grumpy mood today. I'm just sorry I have to deal with this at all.

I found a place in Nashville from Hospice.  They allow other people to come. The cost is only 30 dollars per session.  They have individual and group.  We are going to a discussion on how to handle the holidays together on the 19th. They will have new group discussions in January. 

I'm so sorry to hear of the trouble some of you are having finding the right group. I was very lucky to have found a group so specific (daughters w/o mothers). The only other thing I can suggest is contacting hospice and asking if they would be willing to START one of these for you. Not sure if they will but could be worth a try. I am fortunate to have 6 other lovely ladies in my group. We will continue to meet on our own after our last 2 sessions I think. I am hoping you can find something or persuade someone into starting one.

• 5 months later...

This person hasn't been on here for a while...what city are you looking for one in?  Also, Marty has some links posted above, have you taken a look at them?

According to her profile page, Degasgirl is from Bloomfield, NJ ~ so I assume the group she mentioned was in that city.

I would suggest that, if you're looking for a "Daughters without Mothers" support group, you contact your local hospice to see if they have a list of grief support groups offered in your own community. Ask to speak to someone in the hospice's Bereavement office or department ~ they usually maintain good referral lists.

See also some of the resources listed on our Death of a Parent page, including Hope Edelman's website, which includes listings of Motherless Daughters Support Groups