Grief Healing Discussion Groups

• 1 year later...
On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, kayc said:

Well I guess we're all different, but I wanted to know if there would be any glimmer of light at all because frankly, it felt so damned hopeless in the beginning.  I guess you have to voice to people what to and not to say because no one can possibly know how to encourage you without that help.

It's also important to know what that phrase means..."get better" does not mean it will ever be okay that you lost him/her.  It does not mean you will ever stop missing them.  It does not mean you'll like your life better without them than you did with them.  It simply means that as you adjust, you will assimilate these changes into your life and it will no longer be such a huge shock to you, and you will little by little learn how to get by, doing the things the other person used to do for you, no longer expecting them to walk back into the door and hit you afresh with the knowledge that they won't.  It means years down the road it won't be such a jolt when you have to fill out your marital status on a form.  NOT that you'll like it!  But that you will gradually adjust and learn to smile and laugh again, which is important to do!

Thank you Kayc:  You said that well...somehow when I read your posts, they give me a little bit of hope.  For one thing, you say "years down the road," making it okay to be totally on top of it after a year or two...that is a comfort because I don't know about others, but I am really hard on myself thinking I "should" be on top of this by now.  Of course, having people suggest that you "should" also doesn't help.  I get so much comfort here....thanks to you and all, Cookie

• Upvote 3