Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Help Why Can I Not Cry Infront Of Others

STARKISS

Hi All,

I find it hard to cry infront of other people, why is that I start to cry and stop myself and tell myself you have to be strong... I think about how people say that crying is for people who are weak...Can anyone give me some ideals to help me... Thank you and Take care Shelley

i say just cry if you have to. i do. i do try my best at work not to cry but sometimes i have to go to the bathroom and cry. i think it helps you to cry, i say it cleanses the soul. don't be embarrassed of crying, you are crying b/c you loved someone so much. there is nothing wrong with that. just think of me when you are crying b/c i am probably doing it also. lori

Hi Daddyslilgirl,

Thank you so very much for your input, It is always so nice when others are their to help when you need it... Thanks again and Take care Shelley

Hi Lorikelly,

Thank you also for your input, It was very nice of you to take the time to reply... I will just try and cry when I need to... Thanks again and Take care Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chickyfarmgirl,

Thank you for replying to my post, It is so very nice to know that people really do understand and care about what you are going through.. I am keep everyone in my prayers and asking God to give us all the strength to finish our own personal grief journeys, Take care Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am writing again about this subject because I think it is important to find out why some people can not cry in front of others... I am one of those people and I find it very upsetting that I can not cry infront of others... I was told by a friend that it is because you do not trust others as much as you trust yourself... Who really knows???????????

Hi Shelley,

When my dad first passed away a month ago I cried in front of whoever I was with, but for the past few weeks I have found that I don't cry in front of other people. I cry everyday but when I am at home alone, or as sooon as I leave work and get in my car. For me I think it is because other people don't seem to understand, I feel like they expect me to be better already and don't talk to me about what happened so I just keep my grief to myself. It would be nice to have someone to talk to about it and to cry with. I live with my boyfriend and about a week ago we were trying to figure out what to have for dinner, and I had been thinking a lot about my dad that day, I started to cry and he couldn't figure out why. He thought I was upset because of dinner?? My dad just passed away, i miss him, that's why i was upset but I guess I have been doing so well at hiding my grief it comes as a shock when I cry now.

Take care

Chrystal

I have a lot of trouble crying in front of others. It's my childhood conditioning -- my father hates to see anyone cry, so would yell at us when we did. He even yelled at my mother when she cried when her own mother died. I cry just fine by myself, but even had trouble crying in front of my grief counselor. It's just the way it is -- I just make sure I cry when I need to, if not in public, then when I get home. It's not healing for me to cry if I'm all embarrassed about it. My ex-husband was about the only one I felt okay about crying in front of, and he's the one who died.

Ann

Hi, Shelley: I think it's probably a number of things. When my Dad first passed away, I didn't care who I was around when I cried. I was hurting and I just had to let it out. As time has passed, however, I'm more selective about the people I "let my hair down" around. I guess I just feel some will be more understanding than others.

Hugs,

Leann

Hi all,

I hate to cry in front of other people too. I think it's all the things everyone mentioned. I just feel foolish and embarrassed, and I think that's normal. As long as we can cry when alone, I don't think it matters that we can't cry in front of people. I look at it as a way my mind is trying to help me cope with the outside world. I think, by nature, grief is a private thing.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi All,

I believe with me it is that I think people will think I am weak and just a big baby... Some people do not understand that I am still grieving even after a whole year has passed... Take care and I am sending out hugs to All, Shelley