Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Can We Talk About Good Feelings?

Hi friends.....I still feel, as always, the same love, caring, remembering that we all do but tonight I actually felt....I don't know what to call it....but such total love for all that I've learned so far, my friends here and at home and such total joy that my husband really is at peace, no inhibitions no anything else but just joy that he's so happy. It actually brings tears of joy to my eyes with this wonderful feeling. I love him so much, always will love him but he now is gone from me here, still sitting on my shoulder, but my goodness these tears are from joy. I don't know why but it's there.

Your friend....Karen

Karen,

How wonderful! Yes, I think we should talk about good feelings here too. It gives people hope to know that someone can actually feel joy again and makes us happy that you have. There can be a point where you feel a bittersweet joy that someone is gone (for many reasons...that they aren't suffering anymore, that they aren't around to have to go through any more bad times, etc..) and that's good. I'm so pleased for you. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Hugs,

Shell

Karen,

Such powerful post, you have hit a milestone, I rarely get a "good" feeling other than knowing Myrna is no longer suffering and is with God now, but it shows me that there is not always pain forever...

Blessings,

William

Karenb: An interesting post because just today I felt that life opened another door for me and it felt so full and more whole.You described it so well. I went through a week of crying a lot. It just wanted to flow and flow and surprised me. More of the reality of my second husbands death hit me, which from previous experience I knew was a good thing.(first husband died 5 years ago). I can't say why it hit me, it just did. Then this morning I felt refreshed, also happier for my DH (we knew he was sick when I married him.)

Today I signed a contract for Kung Fu lessons which I really enjoy.

Will I get sad again? You betcha. But it will be different. And you are right, they are at peace. A peace we can only imagine. It is strange when I think about it, but here we are alive, on the "good side", while they are where they are supposed to be (and we don't want to be yet) but we are the ones feeling awful.

I am very happy that you were able to connect to a larger reality.

doublejo

Karen...I am glad that you brought this topic up. Too often we are bogged down with sadness and morose regarding our losses. Once the initial shock and intence grieving is over, than the real work begins to heal ourselves. We owe it to our loved ones to activily live our lives and remember them in peaceful state. Yes...it takes time and it isn't easy. But it will happen if we decide how important our own life is...even without that person. Yes, there are always going to be times of sadness...something will remind us. But we need to move through the sadness rather than get stuck in it.

Thanks again for bringing up this topic!

Take care...Lori

• 5 months later...

Dear Friends,

I woke up today feeling refreshed. After many 'low' days, I am grateful to feel these good feelings. Life is still beautiful despite the heartaches and pains. I am thankful that i was able to experienced that kind of love..i am thankful for the memories..i am thankful for the many blessings that i have received. Oh, i can really feel him smiling at me from above. I feel so at peace and i feel good.

Have a good day everyone. Love you all. I consider you all as my family, and i want to thank you for all the help and advice you have given me. :wub:

Lyn,

Ain't that a relief?! I know whereof you speak. We need to report when we break out into the sunshine as well as when we go through the valleys. Thanks for sharing, and have a great day.

--Bob

Dear Friends,

I woke up today feeling refreshed. After many 'low' days, I am grateful to feel these good feelings.

Karen

Thank you for sharing that. You give me hope for brighter days ahead. It is so true that at least they are no longer suffering and I try to think of the separation as only a temporary physical one. We will all be reunited with our loved ones someday. You put a ray of sunshine in my day.

Suzanne

My mother died 6 years ago today and I too felt glad this morning when thought about what her life is like now. Six whole years in heaven! I truly am glad for her even though it is hard for me and my siblings to be here without her.

Thanks for your reminder of the good feelings that still come our way.

Kay