Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Strange Dream

First, let me say that I don't believe in ghosts or spirits of our deceased that follow us around. I believe that Eric's soul/spirit is in heaven standing next to God watching over everything the kids and I do.

That said, last night I had a very strange dream. It was very brief. I heard and felt Eric breathing on my right cheek very near my ear. I woke up and looked around my room, hoping there wasn't some strange person in my room breathing on me. It didn't "creep me out" like my teenage daughter thought because I don't believe Eric is "haunting" me. But it did rather startle me.

I just wanted to share that. I know it's completely normal, but it was strange all the same.

I agree with you, I don't believe they are here haunting us or hanging around, they are in Heaven and watching the good times in out life. I have had a similar experience, a few weeks ago I was about to fall asleep and I heard my name in Karen's voice. Of course I woke up and layed there in bed for awhile just listening for her to say more. Nothing else was said but it was strange none the less. My sister experenced the same thing right after Karen died, for a couple nights in a row she heard her name in Karen's voice. She would answer back saying yes but nothing else would be said. Like you said this is normal and happens to a lot of us but it is strange when it does.

Love always

Derek

Sometimes there is what they call extra sensory perception, and that is when our spirit is so on the same plane as someone else's, and these peculiar things happen. Forty years ago this month, my sisters had a very horrible accident. My parents and I were following behind in our car, about a half hour behind them. All of a sudden my mom turned around and asked if I'd called her name...she had a panicked look on her face. I thought (as all 15 year olds do) that she was just strange. She turned back around and said, "I thought I heard Peggy calling my name out". A few minutes later we came upon the accident...the cops told us "one of them died" but wouldn't say who (it was by 3 year old nephew). The rest of them had already been taken by ambulance to the hospital. We found out that the exact time my mom had heard my sister crying out to her was the exact time of their accident. Maybe sometimes we are just so close we can reach across the normal barriers to each other.

I have had only a few dreams myself probably a total of about 3 or 4. None of them were of her saying she was safe. I am a firm believer that once you accept Christ as your savior then you are going to Heaven and Karen believed the same. So to me I didn't need a dream to know that she is safe and happy. Each person is different and I can't say what is right or wrong. Just remember each of us will experience death in different ways. Some get confort from talking to the one who had died. Some get confort from prayer, and the list can go on and on. Don't worry too much if you haven't had a dream about Walter it is ok.

Love always

Derek

I've only had one or two dreams in the nearly 27 months since he died...I wouldn't worry about it much. They say you have to awaken even momentarily in order to remember your dreams so maybe I am a deeper sleeper and just don't have recollection of my dreams. It doesn't much matter, I know he's fine...it's me I'm not quite so sure about sometimes. -_-

Thank you, Marty, for sharing those links with us. As I read through the one, it mentioned that we sometimes get a message through another way (hummingbird, rainbow, or other sign) and I recalled having such a thing happen to me shortly after George died by viewing a rainbow just when I was praying/asking for a sign that he was okay. The night he died there was a fantastic storm followed by multiple rainbows...he really did go out with a bang! So the rainbow was naturally the thing that would speak most loudly to me. I think God sent or allowed it in answer to my need.

Last week I had a very bad emotional week and was crying alot. At one point I looked at Steve's picture and told him he definately had to find a way to contact me to at least let me know he is okay and that as long as I knew he was okay it would help me to heal. Well I have to tell you, I don't know why but I never really had dreams about my husband even when he was alive but this is the dream I had. He and I were walking up the very steep hill that goes up to the house he was living in before we got married with his Mom, now mind you we were together but I could not see him next to me. We for some reason had to sneak in the house as his mother had people over and they were comforting her and we did not want to be seen. I then remember being in the next room and I didn't know where Steve had gone and on 2 separate occasions someone would walk in the room but to my surprise they did not see me. I remember then trying to sneak out of the house but having to go back in as I realized my wallet was not in my purse. ?????? (weird) and then I just remember leaving the house by myself wondering where Steve was. Now his Mom no longer lives there and has only called me once since Steve's passing even though I sent her flowers for Mother's Day. I want to say I almost take this as a message telling me his Mom is grieving too but I didn't ask for him to show me that, I asked to know he was okay and watching over me. Any thoughts on this crazy dream or do you think that is all it was is a crazy dream?

Wendy

It sounds like it was telling you two messages...one that he was still with you, and two, that yes, his mom is also grieving.