Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Why I Think Of You

kath

After bringing up a memory of my husband, a friend had asked if I always think of him when things are bad. My response was, "No. I think of him all the time." This is a poem I wrote in response to that day...

Why is it when I plant a seed in early spring anticipating the flower it will bring, I think of you?

Why is it when the day is done, and the cherubs tucked in with a kiss and a yawn, I think of you?

Why is it when I drive alone from a trip due north or hear of a death before a birth, I think of you?

Why is it when our child's on stage or I try to read books but just stare at the page, I think of you?

Why is it when I shovel snow or mow the lawn, facing the rays of sun at early dawn, I think of you?

Why is it when I walk the drive to get the mail or peddle my bike down a familiar trail, I think of you?

Why is it when I set the table and see your place and close my eyes to say the Grace, I think of you?

Why is it when the lightning pierces the dark of night, and Caitlin's tears reflect her fright, I think of you?

Why is it when your truck is sold and Zeus left this earth because he was old, I don't want to live without you?

Why is it when I dial your cell phone to hear your voice and struggle daily when making a choice, I long for you?

Why is it when the silence of you deafens my ears and the lack of your hugs bring me to tears, I want only you?

Why is it when the words of a song that cinch my heart, make me ponder the year we've spent apart, and I miss you?

Why is it when laughter threatens to split me in two, Mike's gotten taller, nearly filling your shoe, I smile for you?

Why is it when the winds of October send shivers of cold, anniversaries pass and we'll never grow old, I pray for you?

Why is it when your pillow sits empty at the end of each day and I can't understand why you went away, I sob for you?

Why is it when my mind wraps around your memory and wonders why my friends don't see, that in everything, I think of you?

by Kathleen Loeffler

Edited by kath

• 3 months later...

Kath,

What a very touching and loving poem. :) Thank you for sharing it!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear Kath

this is such a beautiful poem, and it is so true of all loved ones we have lost - we just seem to keep thinking of them in every thing we do, and no-one knows the invisible pain that we carry around with us, and we dont know if we will ever get over it...

Blessings and Love

Rachael.