Grief Healing Discussion Groups

People Helping People

I need to tell you all of the wonderful day I had yesterday. I have been a volunteer, as their treasurer, for our local food bank. We were to have a Christmas party for all our clients, with a wonderful meal, Santa, and parents would pick gift for their children, seniors would receive two bags on wonderful things, and adult singles got free gifts and could pick out whatever else they wanted. We have been plagued with snow for close to two weeks now, and I didn't know if I could even get out. My neighbor said she wanted to help so her husband got us to the party. We set everything up and the people started coming in. We wore Santa hats and it was so wonderful seeing everyone, in 14-degree weather with deep snow come in, eat, get their presents, and on top of that, due to the countless donations, we also gave them a $25-dollar gift card to local places. The joy in their faces was so amazing. And on top of that when I got there my daughter, her husband, my grandson and his girlfriend, and my granddaughter were all there to help. Helping and giving to others brought the Christmas Spirit to me so beautifully.

And then, today, after another foot of snow, someone knocked at my front door and a nice neighbor man asked me if he could shovel my driveway and walk - free of course. Then his wife came and then my other neighbor came, I put on my down jacket, gloves and boots and we all shoveled while the dogs play.....kind of "Mr. Rogers" morning. People are so very good.

I'm smiling a lot lately, and my heart feels good. Bless you all, and if I don't talk with you later....MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Your always friend, Karen :wub:post-2896-1229892535_thumb.jpg

Guest moparlicious

Karen,

Hello my dear

You are such a wonderful person. This year I am having a super hard time!!!! I am going up to prescott Valley(1 hour and 15 min from Phx.) and my mother in law, father in law and myself and 3 children will be working at St Lukes Church. We have busers,pot scrapers, door greeters and coat checkers. I am looking forward to helping others for this is what makes my soul feel warm and brings me great comfort. Love, Kim

Karen,

Thanks for posting that. So glad you are smiling and that your heartache is lessening. They say the best medicine is in helping someone else and I think your post proves that point. It gives others on this journey hope that the pain will lessen for us too. We need to celebrate our successes. Merry Christmas to you too!

Karen,

For all you are and all you do, this (((())))'s for you!.

Kath

Karen,

That is great! I'd like to know where you live, I want to move there too! :D (I want neighbors that offer to shovel walks...)

Kay,

Move to MN! While I was down with the flu Sunday, someone came over and snow blowed my driveway. It took me two days to figure out who it was!

Karen,

You really have been an inspiration. I, too, appreciate the smiling photo!