Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Okay, We All Have Them...

Today is my Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day "I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." ( A humorous reminder that it’s our perspective that counts.)

I woke up thinking it was Saturday, and getting onto the dogs to let me be just a little longer...then an hour later remembered, "Wait a minute, I didn't have Friday yet!" and I jumped out of bed, late and in a hurry. I get dressed and proceed to do my makeup and get ready for work...that's when I discover that the hairdresser that supposedly "fixed" my hair last night made it look something like a brassy skunk in back. What the!!! It's got big thick stripes of brown and brassy gold. What am I supposed to do with that? I'm embarrassed to go out and she just left on an extended trip. I'm never letting her do wraps again! I discovered the cantalope I wanted to eat was rotten. It was predicted to be 84 today and the car windows were open and it's raining. My DVD was due back yesterday. When I put all my stuff in the car, it all slid around, making a mess. My gas light came on, bummer, just what I need when I'm late is to have to stop for gas. I get gas and discovered the prices skyrocketed even more. I get to work and my coworker starts telling me some of the stuff that's going on today...not a good start to today. And the worst part is that today is the fourth anniversary to my George's death...the worst day of my life. It is always a hard day and my family and friends don't remember, it's as if everyone's lives went on but mine will never be the same again, and hasn't been since he drew his last breath.

Oh Kay, I'm so sorry your family and friends don't remember, but know that we do.

It's at times like these that I REALLY wish we all lived in the same place, so that we could come round and give you massive hugs, listen to stories about George, and perhaps raise a glass or two to him.

Sending you love and massive huge bearhug

x

Oh Kay,

Have not been on here in quite awhile but I remembered when your anniversary was my friend. As I read your post all I could think of was that George must have had a very funny sense of humor. Honestly I got the feeling that he was trying to make you laugh at yourself on a day where you might otherwise be very sad. Right now, think back to all you just said happened, how would George have reacted if he were there to witness them? I have a very busy weekend ahead, my dad is up from Florida but hoping we can chat at some point this weekend as I miss you dearly. I hope you can get through today with a few smiles remembering more happy times than with too many tears and you know I am here for you my friend !

Love You,

Wendy

Oh Kay ~ I know that book! And sometimes we all have days like that! I'm so sorry yours had to fall on this day of all days! We're all thinking of you and pulling for you. One thing's for sure: The sun will come up tomorrow, and it's only a day away :wub:

Marty,

It's okay, I'm doing better now than I was this morning. My son called and I talked to him a bit, he's a wonderful young man and it helped just to talk about George. Although who knows how I'll be doing tonight...I guess that's one of the things about this, it's hard to predict.

Dear Kay,

I was watching the calendar to send you hugs and then missed it because of all the stuff going on here. The funny thing is, that very book was left on the bathroom floor by my son this morning, and I read those words, then saw your post and it struck me that no matter how very bad and horrible things may be, you still have a terrific sense of humor and that is definitely one of our saving graces! I'm glad you were able to connect with your son. It is so very hard to face the memories of the worst day of our lives alone. Now that it is a day away, I pray you can wrap yourself in your bed, rest a little longer, try out a new "do", throw the ball for the dogs and think of better days with George.

Love,

Kath

Kay,

I have not been on in a very long time, so I am so sorry I missed this date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am always here for you as you are the inspiration for many. I truly love you with all my heart. Love, Kim

Well, Kim, George died on Father's Day four years ago...that year it happened to fall on the 19th and this year it's on the 21st, but it's still Father's Day so you haven't missed it at all. I wish it hadn't been on a special day like that, I feel like I get double whammied, both on the 19th and on Father's Day. The only good thing I remember about it is my daughter gave him a Father's Day card, and I know it meant a lot to him...she made it herself, and I've kept it. You see, she was grown and out of the house by the time we married, but even so, they developed a great stepfather-stepdaughter relationship. He was there for her when she moved (he rescued her belongings from someone who took them, he also replaced the window sill her landlord nitpicked about so she wouldn't be charged for it), he was there for her when her car was broken into (he replaced the broken window), he was there for her when she was job hunting (he gave her his car so she'd have transportation), he was there for her, installing a stereo in her car, he was there for her when she was broke and hungry (he brought her groceries, several times...she just about cried when she saw the special things he brought), he'd go to bed and leave her and I alone to "have mother/daughter time". He was truly a special man. With my son, he was the one who drove him all the way back up to the Air Force base when he needed a ride...a 13 hour round trip. He would pack all his stuff out into the truck for him when he'd have to move or leave to go somewhere. He cleaned up the mess from my son's in-home computer business after he'd gone into the service...taking several truckloads to the dump or Goodwill. He was an active participating part of their lives, and these are the times I hope they remember. He'd tell my son, "Come on, let's go get a 'shoot 'em up'" and they'd head to the video store, leaving me to finish baking cookies for them. There's no one that will ever fill that man's spot, and no Father's Day will ever be the same again, without him.

I guess there's no getting around it, on the anniversary of our loved one's death, we get very introspective and can't help but remember...

Thank you all for being here for me.

Love,

Kay

Kay - what wonderful memories of George! Reading your post, I felt as if I knew that special man. I'm sorry I haven't posted earlier, I've been reading every day, but as my year approaches, I find myself a bit tongue tied. I guess all this crap we go through is life, but a little break once in a while would be nice, right? Love and hugs, Marsha