Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Noreaster, Thanksgiving And Christmas

we just had a horrendous Noreaste hit this area and I had to evacuate with my son as our pond over flowed, and the back yard looked like a lake with ripples and all. Dogs had to go to the vet and we just made it out before the water was too high to ruin our cars. I returned only to find a huge tree down which just missed my son's bedroom, our furnished detached garage was completely flooded and I couldn't handle it so I wend to the mall to walk around aimlessly only to hear all the christmas music playing with ALL the christmas decorations up.. Holy crap!!! I feel like there is no place to hid and no place that is safe!!! I am tired, so sad, I don't have any idea how to fix my yard or even who to call

I am probably feeling sorry for myself but I can't seem to pull myself out of it!!! I am so overwhelmed. I miss my Scott, this was our very favorite time of the year and we were so blessed, and were so grateful for it.

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling like the walls are coming in?

laurie

Hi Laurie,

I'm so sorry to learn about all of the destruction at your home. I'm sure this is about the last thing that you needed to happen and that you are feeling overwhelmed. Remember to breathe and take it one step at a time. Do you have some friends you can call for advice on how to fix the yard? Do you have insurance on the property which would cover the damage? Just some thoughts.

I totally understand what you mean about feeling like the walls are coming in. I don't even want to think about listening to Christmas music because I know that I will start to cry hysterically. Although my weekend hasn't been disrupted like yours has, it's just been a very emotional and I spent a lot of time crying and yelling.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you struggle on this grief journey which has been magnified by nature. Remember to be gentle on yourself, acknowledge and honor all the emotions you are feeling, and take it moment by moment. That's all that we can do for right now. Please know that you are not alone. We walk this journey by your side. Hugs and prayers from Pa.

Peace, love, and blessings,

Linda

Dear Laurie,

I went through something similar a day before the one year anniversary of Bob's death. I was cleaning the garage (to be close to him) and appreciating the sunshine during my gloom and depression. All of a sudden, the sky behind us turned black and I barely got the bikes out of the way when the hail pelted the car and me trying to get the car back inside. I got hit hard in the back of the neck with golf ball sized hail and thought I was going down. My daughter was hysterical, tornado sirens were blasting, my son was wanting to be wherever I was and my car was being ruined. It lasted just a few seconds, we were all safe, but the damage to my house was major. I had no idea how to get through all this. We had just had everything fixed in Bob's last year from another storm and he had been there to take care of things.

My advice is to take one thing at a time and call your insurance company right away. They may be able to recommend a company that can help you. You may even have a neighbor going through the same thing. See who they recommend. Having to face something like this alone is terrifying, but it is also the type of situation that draws on your inner strength and forces us to reach beyond our comfort zone. You will get through it and we'll be here to encourage you.

Kath

Oh my gosh Kath I'm so sorry for this lousy storm to hit you...especially the golf size hail (Revelation stuff)...It is terrible to go through the loss of a spouse and then have to fend for yourself in this terrible storm...I will pray for you and Laurie...This is when you definitely need to call on the Lord...Like you said, on your inner strength...Linda gave you good advice find out what your neighbors are doing to help themselves....We are all here for you...you certainly have encouraged all of us...Bless you, Rochel

Hey Laurie, I got hit by the Nor'easter also, as did Marsha, who is a member. It was pretty rough and I never thought it would end. I didn't have any major damage but power problems, phone problems and part of a fence. I know early in your grief this is overwhelming and then to hear the holiday music.... This time of year is especially hard for all of us. It seems like when these kind of things happen we miss them more, at least when catastrophe strikes we had them to go through it with. I'm so sorry for all the damage you have and hope it won't take long to get things straight again. Take time to rest, Deborah

Dear Laurie,

I'm so sorry to hear of this horrendous storm...especially after losing your hubby...I hope that the damage will not be a drain on your finances and that the insurance company will take care of it as soon as possible...and hearing Christmas music is not what any of us needs right now...Holy crap is right..you did the best you could and I think that you are a very intelligent woman going to the mall and getting your son out of harms way...No, you are not feeling sorry for yourself, this is a horrible thing to have to go through...I will pray for you to have answers and to be comforted and to have a lot of support around you so that you can think clearly and get your life back together...It is bad enough all the changes and then this....Bless you, Rochel