Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If I Could Just Phone Home

Hi Everyone,

I received this from a lady at my grief support group the other night and I thought I would share with all of you. Reading it has helped me and I hope it will bring some comfort to you as well.

If I Could Just Phone Home

I see your tears that fall down like rain

And I know how hard it is to carry on,

But if I could do one thing to help you to get through,

I would ask the Lord for one more chance to talk to with you.

If I could just phone home,

I would tell you that today I soared with eagles.

And the peace that I'm feeling just cannot be explained;

And the love that fills my joyful soul just cannot be contained.

You could hear it in my voice that I'm so happy.

Now I can sit within God's presence; rest in His secure embrace,

I can laugh and talk with Jesus while His light surrounds my face.

If I could just phone home....

Now, I know that it's easy for me to be brave

Because it's you that's left behind so very broken.

But I promise you one thing, there's so much more than you know.

So try your very best to trust in God and let your grief go.

When you need me I will meet you in your heart.

Talk to me like you used to and though you might not hear a word

You can find me in the starry night and in the sweet song of a bird.

Until we meet again, know I love you and forever always will.

Death can't separate our love,

Our hearts will always be as one.

Our love's not finished now, but only just begun.

My life has just begun.

... Elizabeth Schmeidler

Take care,

Kat

OMG that was awesome...........thanks for sharing ...If only it could happen, one last phone call. I dreamt last night my husband sent me a long letter with pictures, but I couldn't remember what it said this morning. I have also dreamt tht he called me when I moved and said "stop throwing all my stuff out and make sure you keep my bike"....but I have never seen his face in my dreams. My son has dreamt about him although rarely but it was like a visit...in fact they took a bike ride together.....he said it was awesome.

Thanks Kat for the poem. I've cancelled Duke's phone but it sits plugged in next to my comfy couch. If he could just phone home. I want to hear his voice, I want to feel his presence, but I can't face a dream of seeing him. It would be so tough to let go again.

Ok, This is alittle out there for some and I tried to reserve on saying to much about it...but....

I believe they can come back to us and we can "Time Travel" (If we are open to it) ...I believe Sharon3s son was actually riding a bike with his Dad and because it was a "visit" I believe it even more...

I saw my husband in an illuminated stage when he first passed and within that visit we both knew there was no turning back..it was solemn but not hysterical...Now our times together are more "Human form" I see his face and his whole body but within that time together we both recognize that he is not here on Earth..We have laughed and feel very peaceful...when he leaves I don't cry...I just know he has to go for now but will be back...It's ok to see them for they are "here" (just like the poem, they communicate differently now).. they understand we prefer the verbal because it is easier and more comfortable...Him and I will always work together but just differently now..I look forward to seeing him...When I don't is when I feel off balance, more alone and definitely more sad and at loss..When I am with him I feel the humor arise from me..

The Poem came from our beloved and they want us to know...Believe..

(please know I in know way think this is cool or comforting that they are not here and we now have to work harder to feel their love...I much rather have that smile, wink and the words, "Hi, Babs how is your day going"? Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk and most of all that Kiss..It all began with that Kiss!)

Love and Peace,

Babs

It is so true. First I have a dream that my husband says "don't throw out my bike"...then weeks later my son (in his dream) goes bike riding with his Dad. (My son and his family had just moved into a new house and he was missing his Dad's opinion. My husband was a carpenter and had done a lot of remodelling in my son's previous home and he really wanted his blessing on this house.) In the dream they drove around the town and talked about his new house......too many coincidences there to dismiss...but it wasn't until I read your post Babs and put it together that it really made sense to me....

I haven't dreamt about Scott lately, but earlier this week (I am now back to work and Kailyn is 'adjusting' to daycare), Kailyn was putting on quite a show at bedtime. She just would not go to sleep and was crying her heart out. I didn't want to go and pick her up, as I really need her to be able to go to sleep on her own, for the sake of naps at daycare. Finally, I started crying and begged Scott to comfort her. A few seconds later, she was asleep. Now, she may have just played herself out, but I chose to think otherwise. Scott would do absolutely anything for her, and I know he still would.

Korina

Korina,

Thank you for your post. My own thirteen year old daughter was having a meltdown two nights ago, too. Nothing I said seemed to help. She went to her room to cry it out a little more and I went in to check on her a few minutes after. As I laid down with her she said, "Dad and Zeus are here." (She had her stuffed husky on the bed.) And I said, "He is? How do you know?" She said, "I heard him?" So I asked, "What did he say?" She said, "He said it's going to be okay." At that she relaxed and fell asleep.

Do I believe he was with her picking up where I left off? 100% yes!

Kath

Kath and Korina,

I do believe that our love ones are still with us in one way or another. Pat has not come to me in a dream yet but he has come to my son and he too told him that everything is okay. I do get a sign from him and it comes to me in a song. I will hear it when I am having a really hard time. It is really amazing. It has happened too many time to be a coincidence.

Kat

• 6 months later...

Hello, I am the author of the poem, "If I Could Just Phone Home" and I just wanted to let you know that I made the poem into a song. It is available on my Walk On CD at this link-- http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/eschmeidler2

I have lost both my parents, more recently my mother. If we concentrate on the hope and promises of God, we heal... much quicker, more peacefully, more completely.

May God's peace and healing be upon all of you. :)

Elizabeth Schmeidler

Hi all, I actually did get a call a few days after Michael had passed away. I was in the truck with my brother-in-law and we heard a strange ring on a cell (I had 3 going at the time, he had his one). I said, must be one of mine (I had my personal, my work and Michael's cell all at the time) and I'd check when I got into the house... It was Michael, a message that I had received a week before, that "bounced" back to his cell#. It was about moving a piece of furniture (something mundane), and in the message he said he wouldn't be there, but if I needed him, to call... The message only "saved" for 10 days and eventually deleted itself. I don't know how many times I listened to it in that time. I know I was crushed when the message was gone. Michael's apparition has now also come to me twice, once he brought me frozen strawberry yoghurt and once was walking to his side of the bed with a glass of milk -I could see it was him, however, have yet to see his face, nor share any words. I'm still waiting... Deb

I too, believe that our loved ones come to us in dreams. I think the dreams you really remember, that stick in your mind, are those dreams. I had one dream of my Mother, and one of my oldest sister after they died, and both dreams comforted me, as I believe they were meant to do. A week ago tonight, I had my first dream of Michael that I believe was really him communicating with me. I was lying in a bed, and he was standing beside me rubbing my back. In the dream I had been on a trip somewhere, and I ask him "Did you miss me at all while I was gone". He said, "I missed you a lot". This does not sound like much, but to me it told me that he misses me, and understands that I miss him. In the dream I was not remembering he was dead. However, when I woke up, I felt comforted, and could still almost feel his hands rubbing my back. Some dreams the faces and people are not real clear, but in this dream it was Michael, looking just exactly as he always looked. I choose to believe that he was comunicating with me, to let me know that he misses me also and that he is all right.

The night I dreamed of my sister Sue, was the night before I was to under go surgery. In the dream I was being wheeled down a hospital hall in a gurney, and saw her standing there smiling at me, in a favorite blouse of hers (It had the alphabet on it, and Dad always teased her about it, said it helped her spell), when she smiled at me, I knew my surgery was going to be fine, and it was. That is the only dream I have ever had of her since her death.

The dream about my Mother was different. She died before a favorite granddaughter had any children. After Vicky had a child we all said, if only Mom had lived to see this little baby. My dream was Mother sitting in a rocker holding that baby, rocking away. I believe that was her way of letting us know she knew about the baby, and was happy for Vicky. (there had been doubts medically that Vicky would be able to have children) (She now had 4 boys)

Dreams can give us comfort, and I choose to believe these particular dreams are from our loved ones that have died.

Praying for us all in the club we did not ask to join

Queeniemary in Arkansas

I believe that our loved ones give us signs and also dreams, my husband passed on April 6th at 4;44 in the afternoon, my older son woke up 2 nights in a row and the clock said 4;44, he told me about it and that night I also woke up at 4;44, I told my younger son about it and he is a skeptic and he called to tell us that he also woke up at 4:44, I would say that is to much of a coincidence, can't be. I also dreamt of him hugging me. it was so nice and so real, then I dreamt of him again, I was coming home from work and I opened the kitchen door and he was standing by the stove with a big wonderful smile on his face. I believe that they are with us all the time, and come to us in these ways, or other signs, you have to be aware or you can miss the signs.

Karen