Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Need Prayers This Weekend

Hi friends, I am making a "solo" trip this weekend to my youngest son's stepdaughter's wedding in Missouri. A 5 hour trip. I have made this trip many times, but never driven it. Michael did all our driving (Don't think he trusted my driving...lol) I am nervous, but determined to do this. Would appreciate prayers and good thoughts. I had the car serviced and detailed yesterday, and will head out early Saturday morning.....my daughter said she would send out warnings to everyone to stay off that highway for about 5 hours......very funny!

Michael would be glad I think that I am doing this, but I wish I felt a little more confident. He was such a good driver, and I would much rather he was here, and driving me himself!

Miss him so much, and not just for the driving. He has been gone 5 months on the 13th, and it still seems like a bad dream. I sit on the back porch and look at all the beautiful maiden grasses that he planted in our big fenced back yard, and the tiger lily, which is blooming right now, and so wish he was here to see them. He loved working in the yard.....really green thumb, mine is black. Pray for safety of other motorists on Saturday and Sunday in Missouri!

Mary in Arkansas (Queeniemary)

I'll remember you in prayer, are you leaving Sat. morning?

Hi Mary,

You will do just fine. Michael will be with you. I to was always the passenger and when Rick passed had to drive or not go anywhere. I was happy at the time he did all the driving but after he passed I was mad because I was scared and my stomach would go in to a knot and my fingers grip the wheel so hard they hurt after. But I have a new grandbaby only one hour away and if I want to see him often guess what. I drive. Many times at first I would get mad and tell him that he was supposed to be doing this not me but then it got easier and easier. Winter is still a little harder when there is snow but im sure that will be better next year. Prayers are with you all the way and when you get there give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy the wedding. Mrs. B

Dear Mary,

Good for you going solo... this is just one of many "solos" that we all are going to be taking. My husband was not able to drive for a year before his passing, so I got alot of practise with him beside me. But I have to admit that my first out of town trip was filled with trepidation. Like your Michael, Lars did the trip driving. As you and Mrs.B say.. if you want to go somewhere get out and drive or stay at home. I'm sure you will do fine, the other drivers have nothing to worry about. After all, you had to pass the test to get your licence right?

Hugs to you,

Lainey

Dear Mary

My johnny also did all the driving, I haven't driven in years, but guess what I have started again, I have been going local, like everyone is saying its drive or stay at home. we don't have much of a choice, my next challenge is the highway, haven't done that yet. I will keep you in my prayers, god bless

Take care

Karen

Greetings Mary and fellow overcomers,

Every morning when I get into our car 'annie', a prayer is lifted up high to the Lord for protection, guidance and importantly a cosy parking spot at my destination, without having to twist and turn, hopefully I'll try not to touch the bumper of the car nearby.

Phew, what a relief, getting home in one piece,realising that was not a bad effort after all.

I loss my husband close to 10 months, within the first 2 months, the electrical appliances around the home seem to have a mind of it's own and practically died on me, eg fridge/freezer, washing machine, oven, microwave, air condition in the car, crack in the car windscreen and the last to break the camel's back was during a gale force wind the hugh stag horn(outdoor plant) approximate 5 feet in height and length just fell from the fence, grew from a wee thing about 20 years ago and I just cried and cried.

I recovered from my ' pity' :) party, decided to treat each situation as a challenge, what I can handle I do so, what is beyond my capabilities I ask for help and came to the realisation, there are folks willing to give a hand just have to ask.

Gosh, being a widow is Hard work, much to learn and wish I had been an early learner but it is never to late to master the gadgets left behind by my better half, I have not learn how the car works, only able to put the petrol in the tank, check the tires and the water, ensure 'annie' has a wash and a clean and whooooooosh we off again.

Thankfully, there is always a silver lining in the clouds and tomorrow is a new day with new challenges.

In his loving Grip.

jessie

Thanks ladies, it is good to know I am not alone with this fear of what is to me a first big step...or drive. I know the second one will be easier. And yes Jessie, being a Widow is really hard work....Michael took care of some many things, all yard work, driving....I feel so helpless sometimes. Add that to the fact that I miss him so much....as the grandkids would say, life just sucks sometimes. Grateful for the people here who understand.

Queeniemary

"This totally sucks" or "this sucks donkeys" have been well-used phrases this last year :wacko: .

All the best on your drive. Last year, and month and a half after Scott died, I just had to get outta dodge. So I called mom and dad, loaded up The Girl (Scott always called me 'The Girl', so Kailyn as become 'The Girl' to me), hopped in the car and drove from Vancouver to mid Alberta, met my parents at my brother's for a few days, and then followed my parents to their home Saskatchewan. With The Girl requiring a stop every three hours for a drink and diaper change, it took about 16 hours to get to my brother's. But boy, did it feel good to get out there. Lots of tears, but cleansing, somehow. The last time I drove hard like that was 1993, when I made the trip from New Brunswick to Vancouver (east coast to the west coast - took a few days), out to meet up with Scott who had gotten us an apartment (I had just graduated university).

I will be thinking of you! Have a great trip, pay attention to the road, and no cell phones while driving!

Korina

The trip was great. It turned out that a dear friend of mine that I used to work with went with me. She rode "shotgun" and kept me on the right roads. We got a chance to have a really good visit, and both enjoyed the country wedding, and the party afterwards very much. She has known my youngest son for years, and we both stayed at their house. The party after the wedding was so much fun...I was sad that Michael was not there,and so were other people, but I danced with my son Chris, and actually did a little bit of "twist" with both of my daughters in law, and many of the grandaughters....met all the inlaws and outlaws, new and old, and a great time was had by all...BBQ, lots of other stuff, and really "Loud" music. I cried a little when my picture was taken with the bride, Michael should have been in the picture also.

Now that I have made the drive, I no longer have any qualms about the trip, and plan another trip in August, this time alone, for another stepgranddaughters wedding. I have 4 stepgranddaughters, and this one in August is third one of the 4 sisters to get married.

Thanks for all the words of support and encouragement. I feel somewhat empowered now, after making the trip.

Queeniemary

Mary,

It is good to hear that you did the drive and had such a good time. It shows that we can do whatever it takes.

Yesterday I bought my first lawnmower.. had to have a bit of help with the bag from my son-in-law. I thought I would be able to cut the grass but my granddaughter wanted to so my turn will be next.

Hugs, Lainey

Hi Mary,

You go girl, good job, I am also trying to drive, haven't driven in years, and am also apprehensive about it, but I go a little further each time, It makes me feel good that I am not the only one experiencing this, it is scary and takes a lot to do it, but we don't have much of a choice. So happy you had a good time, and a navigator for your first trip.

God Bless,

you will be my inspiration, when i attempt to go further

Karen

Mary,

I trust you did okay with it...and you're right, it's a lot of work. I miss George more all the time.