Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Can't Let It Go...seems Silly, But Not

Shortly after my Honey and I moved into our new apartment He bought 2 tomatoe plants and 1 pepper plant. The tomatoe plants did not do well and we got rid of them together. The pepper plant was doing well when He passed, full of peppers. It has been 9 weeks and 2 days since He left this earth, the weather is getting colder and I know Im going to lose this plant as well. I should have picked the peppers by now for sure but I cant bring myself to do it. Some of the peppers are withered, some have fallen off, but many are still loking nice and have turned red and some are still green. It seems silly to anguish over a plant but I cant help it. I just dont want to let it go. I dread the upcoming inevitable outcome.......

Rachel

Rachel,

I have had a very sad looking ficus tree in my family room for the exact same reason. This was a plant that Jeff brought with him when he moved in after we got married.....one of very few things he brought with him. I have tried everything to bring it back to life, but I think it's beyond help....and I just can't bring myself to have another piece of him gone.

Also - I found someone to buy Jeff's truck. I was excited for about 2 seconds and now my stomach does flip flops every time I imagine someone driving off with it. They are going to come and get it next week and I can't imagine how painful it will be the first time I pull in the driveway after work and it's gone.

You are not alone - I feel your pain!

Hugs,

Tammy

Hi Rachel. I am so mixed up I thought it had been three weeks since my love's death. It's only been two. I guess it seems like forever since I've seen his face, heard his voice, felt his touch. I can relate to the plant and I know the pain of losing yet something else, forever. I had that same feeling at the hospital when he took his last breath. I stayed about an hour after. Everyone had left and it was just us. No machines, no doctors or nurses bothered me while I sat there in shock that he was no longer breathing. I was thinking that I don't want to leave him like this, because I know when I see him in the coffin, he'll no longer look like himself. But, I realize things that no longer have life must be returned to the earth one way or the other. I know this sounds morose, but I took a picture of him when he died. Just because he looked like he was sleeping and I knew this was the last time I'd ever see his face. He was so, so tired of laboring to breathe for four days. He seemed so rested, finally. I still have a rose from his funeral that has withered away. I wept for yet another thing that has died. I will take a picture of it, let it dry and place it in a scrap book I've developed in his memory.

I love this forum. You guys really understand.

Rachel,

I don't see you being silly anguishing over a plant. I see you being totally normal. This plant is a connection to your life when your honey was alive. Of course you are agonizing with the thought of having it wither and die too.

Melissa, suicided on Dec 25, 2003 and I did not move a vause and a bouquet of roses that she had bought for me just the day before for one year. At one year, I moved them out of my sight, at the second anniversary I had them professionally pressed and mounted and are now matted and framed and hang in our livingroom, and they bring me comfort.

You are not alone.

Courage and Blessings, Carol Ann

With me it was his tomato plants...I didn't pick them, the poor things sat there through the winter, through the next spring, and rotted on the vine. I finally threw the whole thing out. It's just a plant. I don't know why these things are so hard for us, but they are. We feel because they had a hand in it, it's part of them, it's hard to let any aspect of them go.

Quite a long time ago, Scott bought me a coconut (don't remember when). I don't really like coconut, so I put it in the fondue pot that sits in the cast iron pan on the stove. It is still there.

Korina

Keep seeds and replant....just as we are doing.... regrow and bring back to life....I had the same thing happen Ruth received some lilly's and they had died I mean fully dried and gone, I moved them to the patio with some other debris to discard on a like Monday and when I went to take the garbage out I noticed that it had new growth? in few days and had been sitting withered and dried up for months....I went and purchased some soil and new planter and planted it, it's now regrowing into beautiful plant.... :rolleyes: Oh how we get by with our journeys... it's good to hear everyones own challanges....

NATS