Grief Healing Discussion Groups

What Are The Little Things That Make Your Days Suck Less?

When you're having an especially bad time (when grief can be overwhelming), do you do anything that makes your days suck less? For me, it's watching bad TV and taking warm baths.

Once in a while I have a Despair Day. I wake up feeling completely sad and hopeless. I try to be kind to myself on these days. Just wondering if I can pick up any tips here. :)

hey Em,

I do the tv and bath too.

I also like going off my own for nice coffee, sitting outside if weather is nice and either reading some trashy gossip magazine or doing some fun crosswords.

We have a local freshwater lake near me and I've gone there a couple of times recently, just going for nice stroll with my iPOD, sitting on a bench overlooking the lake and found it so peaceful, just getting lost in the sound of the wind moving the water. I also feed the swans there too sometimes......it's like another escape similar to tv, I somehow manage to zone everything out.

I think there is some kind of calming affect with the water that I definitely like.

haven't found anything else yet !!

hugs and love to ya Em,

Ni

xox

Guest Nicholas

After I've finished crying, I probably telephone my sister and cry to her. Then go out to what we in the UK call charity shops - I guess you have them in the US/Canada too - trying to locate some bargain books to sell on.

After crying, I go outside with the dogs and throw the ball and stuff for them. It relaxes me to watch them play with each other and come to me for a word of praise and a pat. I try to remember the good times shared with my husband and to be thankful for that long, long list.

Anne

Hmmm...my little things are:

* when the sun comes out so bright and I just get excited and I get to be out in that wonderful sun!!

* clouds in the sky, the fluffy happy kind

* stupid games on my phone

* movies and shows that make me laugh

* certain friends and just...blah

* journaling, getting it out

* talking to my dad's picture

* spiritual stuff

* going on a walk

* working on writing, whether it's a novel, a poem, an article, or something stupid and quick

Hey Em, I reach out and call someone or email a friend, I also go for a nice long walk and look at the nature growing up around me, I also take out scrapbooks of the family I still have around me and think of all the good times I had..Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

I generally wallow in it to the point of stupidity, they get the dogs and go out in the yard and watch them run around. They seem to know I'm a mess and seem to go out of their way to be "cute"! If that doesn't work, I pick up the phone and call my best friend and "dump" on her. She understands. She lost her husband about 5 years before I lost mine, so we trade off!

Anne