Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Loss Of Celebration

We were going to go back to Colorado where we spent our honeymoon. Staying in the cabin with the cozy fireplace, walking the streets of Estes Park, peeking in the shop windows and marveling at the elk that come into the town. I still see our reflection, his arm around my waist, the smiles on our faces, it couldn't have been more perfect.

Now, today, the day we looked forward to celebrating, I sit, wondering what to do with the box I kept with napkins and ashtrays, the toasting goblets, the feather pen, the memories.

I'm not as teary-eyed as I had anticipated, just silent. Everything inside feels still - like the air before a summer thunderstorm. Quite a contrast to what we had planned. It's days like this, I absolutely hate the quiet.

Kath,

I know all to well what you speak of...we didn't get that long together but what we had was super quality and I'd planned on spending the rest of our lives together...well I guess we did, I just didn't know the rest of our lives was so short.

I wonder what it'd be like to go to the place where we spent our honeymoon...I've thought about it but don't know if I could handle it...alone.

You're in my thoughts...

Kay

Where did you go on your honeymoon? Maybe we need to plan dual vacations, amongst friends. You tell me your story, I'll tell you mine!

We honeymooned (6 months after our wedding) in Hawaii....We had to wait a few months until we put our B&B to rest so we could have some privacy in our lives....We drove around Hawaii in an open jeep, visited three islands, hiked, bought each other engagement rings (after the wedding :) and snorkled feeding frozen peas to the colorful fish. I dared him to buy a shirt that matched my muu muu (see photo). That was 1986. A lifetime ago...and so much joy was ours for so many years. How blessed we were.

Bill died short of our 25th anniversary, a day we were going to spend in one of two places....seeing the Sequoia Trees in CA or going to Austria to hear classical music where it was written....instead I spent the day driving to where we spent the first week after our wedding....a spot about two hours away and then to his grave....I laid flowers where we stayed and at his grave....and wept.

It is now approaching 19 months since he died....pain and sadness are mine....

Mary mfh

post-14525-131958390895_thumb.jpg

Mary, that is a great pic of you and Bill !!You were a dish!! And still are!! Thanks for sharing! You two looked so happy together.........I feel your pain, thinking of everyone out there.....and also understand their pain.......Dave

We were young(I graduated from high school 2 weeks prior) and poor when we got married and Harv had just started working for Ma Bell, our honeymoon was camping and canoeing down the Illinois River, even better, we took Harv's younger brother(he was my age) and two other buddies. I used to be embarrassed to tell people that. Not now. Harv used to tell people that was the guys annual river trip and they just invited me ; ) he made up for it after the kids grew up and left home. We took many trips and our 25th anniversary was to Costa Rica. I have a while before our anniversary(May 27th) but am already dreading it.

Love, Pam

Today would have been my 19th wedding anniversary. Our honeymoon was in Loreto Mexico on the Baja. We flew onto a small dirt runway. We spent 10 days at a small fishing resort. We got up at 4:00am to jig for our own bait by moonlight on the bay and then the boat captain took us at dawn to top water fish for Tuna and Dorado. The chef at the resort cooked our fresh fish each night and we exchanged fishing stories at the bar. We snorkled on our own private island were we napped under a palapa roof and ate a small boxed lunch. Simple bean burritos and fresh fruit with a cold cervesa. Hours later the boat picked us up and 1/2 way back we found a school of over a hundred dolphin. I have still never witnessed such beauty again. The chop of the water the spray of the sea and absolute pure joy.

We were lucky, we lived life large and at full tilt. We never forgot that the other was the most important person in our life. We each would have given anything to make the other happy. We loved our children but our marraige always came first.

I miss you Marky. You were my world and I needed you more than you could have ever known. Please prepare a place for us. Love Cheryl

Dear Kathy,

Anniversaries, Birthdays, are very difficult to deal with. Pauline and I really never had a honeymoon. After we got married, the next day, I pack up a U-hall truck. Then hitched our car behind the truck, and drove to a motel in Junction City KS. . Monday morning around 6 am we ate and then started our drive back to Massachusetts. It took 3 days to get here. I started working at my first job on Monday, after we got out here. In the 30 years we have lived here, I have only worked 3 jobs. My last job was 27 years. We wanted to go somewhere special, but life went on and I had to work to keep food, clothing and shelter over my beautiful wife's head. We have only live in 2 places in all that time. I guess you could say that we had our honeymoon every day we lived with each other. It was a gift every day to have the love, that Pauline and I had together. That all ended on Feb. 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM, when the life in her left, with her last breath saying to me, as we were alone at home, " I LOVE YOU TOO ". That was the end of my Honeymoon with Pauline. Now I face a new life, with new goals, and Pauline's best friend in Donna and her husband Greg. I was thankful every day of the life we shared, and never took it for granted. It took a lot of work for both of us, but when you have the love, that we had, it was a dream come true. I will move on in my life, but never will have that kind of deep love that Pauline and I had, all those years.

Kathy I hope and pray that you and everyone else can find some kink of peace and comfort in your new life.

God Bless

Dwayne

The Best and Most Beautiful Things in Live, can not be Seen or even Touched. They Must be Felt with the HEART!!!!! Helen Keller

Dwayne, your "honeymoon" reminds me of the Lucy show where they were taking their camper on that winding steep road. :)

We honeymooned at the coast. Our wedding date was Oct. 19 (sweetest day) and because of the time change, we got an extra hour on our honeymoon...something everyone teased us about. (they asked if we'd planned the date around it) Even though it was Oct. and the Oregon coast, it was gorgeous weather, we didn't even need our coats and every year we went back to the same place for our anniversary and had the same beautiful weather. Anyone who knows the Oregon coast this time of year knows that's nothing short of a miracle!

Being married to George was the best years of my life, and it didn't matter if we were working around the house, camping, vacationing, or what. Even being sick together was special, we used to sleep in the loveseat recliner together when we were sick so we could breathe better. We never slept apart if we could help it. I miss him more each year that goes by. This morning I woke up at 1 and couldn't go back to sleep, finally at 3:45 I got up and started working. I took Arlie for a walk at 5:30 and it was pitch black with stars out, beautiful clear sky, and I looked up and wondered, "Where are you, George? Can you hear me?" Doesn't it make you wonder? I want more than anything in the world for him to hold me again. Until then, I won't feel complete or whole.