Grief Healing Discussion Groups

O Christmas Tree

Saturday I returned to our Florida home. I have not been here since my spouse passed away here in April. I was very nervous about this return to our winter home. It was a home we had bought looking forward to our retirement years that never happened. He was diagnosed with cancer ten days after I retired. We chose to do treatment in Florida,access to more sunshine better weather in the winter equals better mental health right? We spent two winters and two Christmases here. As I entered the house Saturday for the first time since April I felt good sensing his strong presence here. Comforting. Yet

today with putting the Christmas tree up feeling very alone and sad. He had a very rough Christmas last year and that memory of him so sick while looking at this nine foot tree that he so loved is very hard. Maybe it is something that I needed to do but sure not getting any joy out of it today.

Becky

Oh Becky, that sounds tough. I hope it gets a bit easier for you. You are a brave lady....I honor that.

Mary

Dear Becky,

Yes that would be very hard to do. I agree with the other. YOU are a very brave lady just to get the tree out and put it up. So far I only have the one decoration out. I think this weekend I will change the bedroom set, and kitchen curtains, and a couple more decorations, some of Pauline's favorites.

Try to at lest enjoy the warm weather down there. Take care Becky.

God Bless

Dwayne

Oh Becky, I wish I was there to put my arms around you.

I have a very tall Charlie Brown Christmas tree this year that my son and his GF cut down for me. I hadn't felt I even wanted one, but since they brought it to me, I put it up. In looking at it, I remember Christmases past, one of the happiest being our (George and my) first Christmas together. We had commissioned my son to build a new computer for my daughter, the very first one she had all for herself. It was a purple computer, her favorite color. My son had a computer business (he was a teenager) and since his bedroom was too small to host the parts, I'm afraid they were all over the house...it wasn't uncommon for us to stick our coffee cup on a tower since there was no room for a coffee table. :) Right before Christmas, my daughter dropped by, and George and I both noticed the purple computer sitting out in plain sight and we knew she'd notice and ask who was getting it, we both had the "uh oh" look on our faces as we exchanged glances. Just then, our Christmas tree decided to topple, diverting attention from the computer to the tree...my daughter and son held it while George ran for fishing line, which he secured it to the wall with. Another funny sight! Meanwhile, I seized the opportunity to whisk the computer away into the closet so she could properly be surprised come Christmas morn. The Christmas tree saved the day! We captured my daughter's opening per present on Christmas morning...instead of wrapping the computer, my son had just wrapped the mouse...when she opened it, she exclaimed, "Is this what I think it is?" then he handed her the bigger wrapped gift, her computer. It is a memory George and I shared and enjoyed, and one of my fondest Christmas memories. So that's what I think about when I look at my Charlie Brown Christmas tree this year. Somewhere, my Love exists, and is remembering with me...

Kay:

What a wonderful story and memory. Thank you for that. I am trying to remember the good ones but all of cancer treatment was done while we were here so there is lots of memories when he wasn't well..but also scattered with some good stories. He wanted to take a helicopter ride over Disney that week before he passed and I told him if he had a good day we would do it. We never got it done. I will be taking that helicopter ride for him on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas my love.

Becky

Becky, what a wonderful idea! See, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was talking about! :closedeyes: I hope you have a wonderful time doing it. I've only ridden in a helicopter once in my life, it was very special...I got to see Mount St. Helens after it's "comeback" a year after it blew. Let us know how it goes!