Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hello! I got back from the Alaska Cruise last Saturday and immediately came down with a really bad headcold. Yuck! However, the cold can not diminish the experience of the cruise. I do believe I should live on a cruise ship! The pampering is awesome.

I did the things Dick and I dreamed about. I saw the Mendenhaul Glacier; went whale watching and saw Humpback whales and babies; saw harbor seals and pups and much, much more. It was wonderful!

There were a few things that honestly really surprised me. Standing looking at the Mendenhall Glacier gave me such peace. Dick and I wanted to see that sight so badly. I was a bit fearful getting off the bus, I didn't want to crumble into a pile of soggy kleenex and make an ugly scene. The calmness and peace I felt standing there was almost overpowering. I now know Dick is OK and I am going to be OK too.

I had taken some business cards of Dick's with the intention of leaving them in Alaska, but found myself unable to leave one. I just couldn't, I don't know, leave part of him there alone, leave part of him uncared for? I don't know what, I just couldn't do it and I'm fine with that.

So, I went, I saw and I conquered! :)

post-14749-13404214178089_thumb.jpg

Dear Anne,

I am so glad the trip went well, that you were able to enjoy it and see all you wanted to see. I admire you doing the journey at this time. I honor you. You did conquer, indeed. Dick is ok and what a great reward for going to know that he and you will be ok. I am glad you could respect your desire NOT to leave business cards...symbolic as it was, it was so important. In a sense, he came home with you and will be with you forever.

Now is the time to rest...your body is telling you that via a nasty cold. I am just recovering from one and know that our bodies let us know when enough is enough. Get some rest, enjoy your pictures and your courage.

Peace,

Mary

Anne, sounds great! I thought of this and had to share:

Planning for your retirement?

Here's a story to get you thinking about life after retirement...(and perhaps it will give you some fresh ideas, too).

About 2 years ago, my husband and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner, we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that the staff, ship's officers, waiter, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

As we left the dining room one evening, I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true."

I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long-term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day.

That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means i can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 to 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go?

Princess will hav e a ship ready to go.

So, don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

P.S. And don't forget your funeral. Now, here's a greatest saving of all. When you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.

I LOVE IT!!! What a way to go!

Kimberly

Oh Anthony, you are funny! You have it all figured out!

Anne, so good to have you back, you take good care of yourself and get well now, okay? And the picture is beautiful, did you take it?

I understand what you mean about not being able to leave part of your husband alone...I spread George's ashes here in our back yard so he could rest in his favorite place "our home in the clouds" as he always called it. The down side is when I get older and have to move...I will have to leave him behind. But I've made my kids promise to sneak back here with my ashes when my time comes. :)

I did take that picture with my little camera. Of course, the second night out, I dropped that little camera and somehow managed to spring or sprain the case so that the little door thingie that is supposed to hold the batteries in the camera did not work. So, I had to firmly hold the little door thingie shut and try to punch the button to take the picture at the same time, all with the fingers of my right hand. Quite the operation. I am surprised I got any pictures.

When I got home, I told my son my sad tale about the camera. He took the camera and squeezed the thing and pop! it was fixed! :angry: I almost threw the silly thing across the room. I had squeezed and squeezed all over the stupid thing to no avail!

Ha ha, that is so funny! That sounds like me, I try and pry to no avail and someone else comes along and touches it and voila, fixed! Grrr!

Anne, so glad your trip was great, and that you got to see so many things. I have always thought an Alaska Cruise would be fun. Sorry you got sick when you got home, hope you are better now. Widowerer, loved the idea about retiring to a cruise ship....so funny.

Anne, I know exactly how you were feeling when your son squeezed and fixed the camera. I cannot even open the back of my phone, I have to call my daughter to open it. lol

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Mary,

And we wonder why our kids move away from home! Ha ha...

I try to get my son to do as much as I can but alas when I'm alone and he won't be home for two months, it's up to me...ugh.

I know Kay. I try very hard to be so independent. Yesterday the light bulbs in the kitchen fixture were flickering, and I thought they were going out. This is a fixture that was installed before I retired last year, and I have not had the cover off of it. WELL....it sure turned into a big job...was one of those covers that you really needed three or four hands to do. I managed to get it off, with great fear I would drop it while standing on the top step of a three step stepladder. The bulbs just needed to be tightened. I knew there was no way I could get it back on alone. It is a very heavy cover, with a burnished nichel trim that goes on last. My young friend Jamie was bringing a movie over for us to watch last night.....so I just waited until he got here, and let him help me....lol. Gotta know when to hold'um, know when to fold'um.....

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Good for you, Mary, for tackling what you can and for getting help when needed. A friend offered to help me with my garden yesterday and since the temps are 96 every day now and energy alludes me...I said yes. Our grass is brown and will stay that way but the weeding is way out of control so tomorrow morning...before the humidity and temps get up there again we shall get out there and deal with this mess. Today...back to art class...at least for a while.

Mary (the other one)

Good for you, Mary! I had asked a neighbor to change my bulb as he's tall and I was afraid of dropping it from my stepstool but he didn't rush right over so I finally did it myself. A few days later he showed up and I already had it done. Women don't like to be without their kitchen lights! LOL

I dread when the ballast goes out again because I have no clue where it goes or what to do with it...will cross that bridge when I come to it. :)