Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Benji Is Home

Totally understandable, Kay. Sirens would cause you to go right back to that scene...just as triggers in our lives send us reeling back to the death of our husbands.

Yes, a new paint is always fun. One gal here teaches watercolor and only allows students to use red, yellow and blue and mix all colors from those...amazing how many colors one gets and it depends on which reds, yellows and blues one uses. I prefer to have a selection of paints.

Take care

Mary

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Jim was an artist (he can't paint any more because of Carpal Tunnel) and had his own business for many years. He graduated from Oregon College of Art, which went out of existence years ago when the owner died. He knows how to achieve the different colors using the primaries.

Well it is usually me having the bad day but today it is Bentley. The kitchen ceiling light is not working...I think it is one of the switches but I got the 6 foot ladder, removed the cover and took out one of the florescent bulbs to take with me to the hardware store with plans of replacing the 4 lights. Just in case. However, Bentley is not liking the fact that a ladder now sits in the middle of the kitchen and the light is open. He has spent a bit, quite a bit, of time barking at the ladder and the light.. I put treats on the ladder steps and over time he approached it and ate them with coaxing but when I leave the room he goes in there and barks at the ladder. I have a wimp of a dog but those who are sensitive are also sensitive in the good ways. :). As a pup he barked the first time I put grocery bags on the counter. He notices every change to this house...if something is not where it "should be" he is not happy. If i leave a jacket where it does not belong...he stands and stares at it. So I will take him with me to the hardware store, get bulbs, insert, replace cover, remove ladder. If that fails, the electrician will be here Monday a.m.

Times when I miss Bill...always and ...when things are broken.

In the meantime, I cook in the dark tonight and tomorrow if this fails. BUT Bentley will be happy.

That is funny Mary, although probably a bit annoying to you. I noticed a couple of rails that were coming off (I have a long ramp leading along the side and back of my house to the patio, with rails up since I'm on a hillside), so I went outside and hammered them back a few minutes ago. It wasn't easy as they appeared to have been nailed in at angles, not all the same, but I got it done. I hope you get your light operating, Mary! Is it the bulb or is it the ballast? Usually you have to replace the bulbs in pairs.

I liked these simple directions:

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

My fluorescent light fixture is not working. When I first replaced the bulbs, I noticed that the new light was dimmer than it had been. In the next couple of weeks, I noticed that the light kept flickering. Now it is much dimmer.

Assuming that you HAVE tried re-seating the tubes to make sure that they are indeed properly seated, that sounds like a bad ballast.

Unless you are reasonably comfortable messing with electrical wiring, it's best to get an electrician to change the ballast. However, it's not really that difficult if you follow the instructions one step at a time.

1) Purchase a new ballast for that type of fixture

2) Arrange for good lighting up where the fixture is.

3) Test that lighting and make sure it stays lit when you turn the bad fixture off.

4) Arrange for a ladder or a table to stand on to comfortably reach the fixture.

5) Arrange for a helper to steady the ladder and to pass pieces to

6) Turn the bad fixture off and remove the tubes.

7) Unscrew the metal safety cover and remove it.

8) Draw a diagram of the wiring that you see.

9) Make sure that the ballast is an exact replacement with the same numbers and colors of wires.

10) Loosen the screw or wing-nut that holds the ballast and just let it hang by the wires.

11) Attach the new ballast securely

12) One at a time, switch the wires from the old to the new ballast

13) Double-check the wiring with your diagram

14) Make sure the little hat type connectors are good and tight and that you can't pull them off.

15) Replace the safety cover

16) Install the tubes and plexi-glass cover

I am laughing so hard that I can't see what I am typing. And you expect who to fix this, Kay? I hope you're not talking to Mary. he heee I think it best she calls an electrician. I can't see Bentley helping her. She would run out of treats before she got to # 5!

Oh dear, sometimes we just have to laugh with everything happening today. I'll tell you at another time how Benji decided to run for freedom when I opened the front door to take something off the dddddddoorknob! He's safe. Anne

Well, maybe the helper and her could switch places! :) Actually, isn't she the lady that she knows how to put up walls (having learned from Bill)? I saved the directions in case I need to replace mine someday...can't afford the electrician and in the country you could wait for a month for one to come out from the city.

OK, so it is pick on Mary day. :)...I am tough. I can take it. Trust me, building a wall is simple compared to a 3-way switch with a bad ballast (most likely). I could probably fix it but....Norm, the electrician is coming Monday....and I do not think Bentley will be helpful with step #5 since he won't approach or touch the ladder...Norm lives 5 doors away and just wired my new closet...is very inexpensive and so....I will try the bulbs I just purchased and if that does not do it..which I do not think it will....it is all Norm's. Amen!!! You both had me laughing out loud.

So, Anne, let us hear how Benji raced down the street today and had all the neighbors going after him, eh?

I figure some days we can laugh or cry. Today, I laugh....my wimpy Bentley was leaning against me so hard when I was coaxing him gently to approach the ladder that he all but pushed me over.

Thanks for the directions, Kay. I WILL save them :wacko: and thanks to both of you for the laugh. I needed a good laugh today. I will build a wall any day!

Mary

I need a "like" button. I was okay with the directions until it came to the part about replacing the wires...wires scare me and maybe that's good. George was worse, he didn't KNOW enough to be scared. My son was replacing some wiring right after George died and he turned to me and said, is there anything ELSE he touched? (He'd used masking tape instead of electrician's tape...it was enough to drain the blood from my son's face...he had wiring engineering in the service). I showed him everything he'd worked on and he checked everything out. I still laugh about that and know George is laughing with me.

I learned how to run all the wires but I stood back when it was time to hook live things up. Bill did that. I do not understand enough about electricity to know what is safe and not safe. Hence, Norm coming. Kay, we are smart to let others do some of this. I am making myself a big salad for dinner....so am going to bring a floor lamp in so I don't cut off my fingers. The light over the sink is dim...on purpose but now I wish it was bright. Take care,Mary

Let's see walls vs electrical - I would bet on walls! Thanks, Kay, I'm going to copy your directions and give them to my electrician if I would ever need them. :mellow:

Ok, Mary, I guess I need to come clean. Now that my heart rate is at least around 100 and not 125!

Oh, Mary, you would make me put this out in a public forum. I am such a BAD parent. A neighbor borrowed a pepper to make chili and this morning they called to tell me that they had hung the pepper in a bag on my doorknob. Benji was out in the back – and any good parent would have left him there, but I didn’t. I let him come in and when I opened the door just a few inches after telling him to ‘stay’ which he usually does – he darted out the door and took off running and jumping like he just escaped from prison! I called him – he looked back – then took off running. I knew I would have to go after him because of the speed he was going so I got in the car and slowly backed out of the garage and headed in the direction he went.

When I got to the corner, which is two houses away, Benji was in the neighbor’s rock yard (we have those instead of grass in AZ) sniffing at something. I put the car in park – opened the door and got out calling his name. He looked up and he started coming toward me only to turn and dart off in another direction! So I got back in the car and headed in his direction. He was tearing down the street with head help high almost as though he was saying ‘look at me!!’ For some reason he turned around and was heading back toward the car. I stopped the car, opened the door and called to him. He came right over to the car and jumped in!!! I was relieved. My heart rate jumped to 125 and it took me awhile before it came down. I am sorry and I promise to be a better parent. At least five neighbors heard my scream! I am not going to tell you his punishment because I don’t want to embarrass him. But I can tell you it only lasted 10 minutes and now we are best buddies. I think I'll spend the night in his crate! Anne

" I think I'll spend the night in his crate!" Seriously????

the honeymoon is over, Anne. Reminds me of working residential. The first six weeks after a child was admitted, we wondered if the staffing held a couple of weeks previous to their arrival was really about the child they brought to admission. Then in about 4-6 weeks we knew we had the right file...everything we were told began to occur. We knew it would happen but the honeymoon was over. Now Benji will test you...YOU shall triumph!!

Mary

Oh Anne, you aren't a bad parent! If you only knew how many times Arlie had escaped and Skye too! They are escape artists! I think we finally have it down...how many trips to the hardware store I had to make in order to find something strong enough to hold Skye. Just about the time we had it figured out he became crippled and can no longer get anywhere if he does get loose. Now my son has Mozzy and the challenge begins again! She can jump high fences, pull anything down, burrow under anything, break anything, and you can't leave her alone in the house because the last time they did (for five minutes, just FIVE MINUTES!) she ate a huge hole in the middle of their leather couch. Dogs can be a challenge!

Anne, I am with Kay. You are not a bad parent. If you are, then I am to. Bentley would never have swallowed a BIC if I had been alert. It is just what happens and those pups are waiting for their chance.

Mary

I love reading this topic and smiling at the antics of these charming, infuriating, and delightful dogs! I don't have a dog. I may get one. Doug did not like any animals in the house. And we could not have cats because I have an allergy, so we had no pets. (But lots of Godchildren!)

Now that Kay has pointed out that it is my life now, and my house now, I will think about this, but I wanted to tell you all how much I love reading all about the antics of these marvelous fur friends.

And I don't do electricity, either. I can do a little plumbing and carpentry and other things, but electricity scares me since I tried to fix a wall sconce in Evanston, and electrocuted myself shockingly! he he.

It is so great to hear about the escapes and escapades of these beloved friends, and about the reactions, too! What a great read! Thank you all!

*<twinkles>*fae

Well to be honest, what I read when I looked up the instructions was:

1) Purchase a new ballast for that type of fixture

2) Blah blah blah blah

3) Blah blah blah blah

4) Blah blah blah blah

5) Blah blah blah blah

6) Blah blah blah blah

7) Blah blah blah blah

8) Blah blah blah blah

9) Blah blah blah blah

10) Blah blah blah blah.

11) Blah blah blah blah

12) Blah blah blah blah

13) Blah blah blah blah

14) Blah blah blah blah

15) Replace the safety cover

16) Install the tubes and plexi-glass cover

And I figured I could do all of that!

...and I bet you could...and if I put my mind to iit, I probably could also...BUT I won't... :) :)

Anne it just proves that although our dogs seem tied to us they can suddenly decide to take off. Kelbi seems totally reliable, but we have a gate and sometimes I don't sneck (bet that is a Yorkshire word you won't know) and on a couple of occasions Kelbi has gone out and run straight across the road to Sandra's house because she loves her. Ad the road isn't busy but it only takes one car ....

I shall remember this story. So glad it ended happily.

Here we go again, Jan. It's already 2:30 PM there. You are so right, I do not know what 'sneck' means unless it has something to do with not locking the gate. I am probably so way off. What does it mean? I hope you are having a good day. I think my pulse rate has gone down a little more. I was really scared. I guess I am attached to my furbaby! Anne

Anne, I am glad your pulse rate has gone down...I can not imagine how frightened you were when Benji was racing down a street at risk of getting hit by a car. I hope today is calm for you.

Mary