Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Benji Is Home

It disappeared before I could do that. I must have hit a key. I am on my iPad. It is touchy...no pun intended. It is a touch screen. :) thanks so much. Mary

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure how I missed this thread about dogs. Anne you can never bore "dog people" talking about dogs. Benji has the most adorable little face, just looks like a little imp. You are going to have such fun with him. Kay, Arlo is just beautiful, such a fine looking dog, and the pictures of Bently (I think on another thread) in his vest are awesome. Your story, Mary, about the chicken, I can relate to. A while back my friend Tom was over, and we were grilling rib eye steaks. He is aware of Sassy's ability to grab stuff from the edge of the table, even with her short Corgi legs. He had to set the plate of steaks down for a moment, to get something from the kitchen, he put it on the dinning room table, and on purpose, pushed it out of Sassy's range (he thought), two second later as he turned back to the table, one steak was on the floor, being torn into two pieces by two Corgi girls, and second later had all been inhaled. We laughed until we cried....and shared one steak. I was sure they would both be sick, but did not seem to bother them at all. Dogs are tricky creatures at times, especially when food is involved. Glad Bently was all right. I love my little Corgi girls, but I am not sure they like me much right now. I have cut back a little on their food, as they are at the top end of what they should weigh. I am giving them carrot treats a couple of times a day, but have cut back a little on the kibble. Don't know if I have ever shown my dogs, they are below. Spoiled little girls...love them much.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

post-13798-0-07148900-1360014956_thumb.j

Queeniemary,

Your girls are darling! I haven't seen a Corgi light colored like that before. I wish I'd cut back on Arlie's food before he gained so much, I was going by the low end of the mfr's recommendation...but of course, they're in the business to sell food.

While on the subject, I have to tell a story about my old Golden Retriever, Teddy. We were having my in-laws up for dinner and my husband had some steaks on the picnic table, waiting for the bar-b-que to get hot, when his folks arrived. Him and his dad went off to look at something and came back, rounding the corner just in time to see Teddy scarfing up one of the steaks. My husband was real stern and my MIL saw the look in his eye, and not wanting the dog to get beat, she quickly said, "Oh it's okay, that was Grandma's steak!" :) I shared mine with her, we had plenty, but I never forgot that. She felt about Teddy like I do my granddoggy, Skye. Us grandmas have to spoil our granddoggies!

Mary, they are so sweet and cute. Such short little legs how do they get up to a table?

Dogs are such healers. I am tired and just went to the microwave to heat a mug of water for tea. I was so tired I had my head on the counter as I stood there. Bentley came in and stood beneath me (as I was bent over the CPU Terri top) and looked up at me as if to say, "I know you hurt". At least someone knew. Bill would have made the tea. It was the last thing he did for me. It took me a year before I made myself a simple cup of tea.

Mary, the other one

Thank you for sharing your corgies, Queenmary. I have read many of your threads and I'm glad you found this one. My Benji is a hoot. Before his haircut I thought he looked like the tasmanian devil. He had so much hair and the whiskers on his face made me laugh outloud. How right you are about dogs being tricky - Benji has done a few things that I shall have to correct. I will not embarrass him right now though.

Kay, I just can't get over how big Arlie is and so cute. I'd love to get everyone together for a play date. I assure you Benji can hold his own at 18lbs.

Mary are you resting!!! It seems like you are forgeting a very important rule in your healing - rest. Please do take care. What may seem like a little to you may be huge to someone else. Didn't someone say 'patience is a virtue.' What is it about dogs and meat? Benji thinks whenever I'm in the kitchen I'm fixing something for him. Anne

My Kelbi snatches everything if I don't watch out. Last week I had some olives as a snack and forgot and left them on the coffee table. Then I brought Kelbi in and immediately she had them and ate them up, stones and all. I was worried because I had thought olives we poisonous to dogs. I googled it and was a bit reassured. The next day I looked at her poo but it was ok and then had to take her to kennels for four days whilst I went to our daughters. I told the kennel maid about the olives. Wen I picked Kelbi up yesterday the kennel maid told me Kelbi was sick the day after I dropped her and four olives came up! That seems a long time to stay in her tummy but am glad I told the kennels. I must be more careful. I can't leave spectacles on the table. She has already destroyed two (cheap ones fortunately). I know why she does this. She is a very needy dog and she is just trying to get me to notice her. Since Pete died she has been more needy I think. Whilst he was in hospital I wasn't there for her much and neighbours had to walk her and feed her. Now she has my attention and is settling down better. And she is a very loving dog. I sometimes wish she were more laid back but she is a field spaniel and they are very very boisterous.

Jan, right after Bill died Bentley started acting out his grief. He started doing things he had not done since he was a tiny puppy...that was when he decided a BIC razor would be a good snack. Long story short... major surgery after other attempts (high fiber diet and then an attempt to go down through his throat) to get it out... $2000 but he made it. The day of Bill's funeral, back at the house, my friend and groomer was here and after watching Bentley said I needed to consider obedience classes to let him know I am NOW alpha and he is safe. So I did two rounds of obedience classes and a lot of work at home. His eating the chicken on the floor the other night was rare. It fell so fast that I did not have a chance to say: "leave it". If I had, he would have just sat and stared at it...drooling perhaps. but he would now, after a lot of work, not touch it. I think their behavior issues are telling us of grief and fear and neediness. Do you try leave it with your furbaby? Just put food on the floor...chicken...and slowly but surely train him not to touch it. Do not allow him to get it but when he does leave it alone, reward him with some other treat. Same with the glasses....

Just a thought. Mary

Benji will now sit when I put his food down until I tell him it's ok. He most of the time let's me go out the patio door first. I am so enjoying him. He is a real lover. He likes to be near me. Like I said before I think I should have named him Shadow but I would not change his name for he is a true Benji to me.

Mary, I know Benji must have had some good training before or else he is a very smart dog. When I was over to Pat's on Super Bowl Sunday we gave Fred (my grand dog Beagle) and Benji a play date and Benji saw the doggy door for the first time that goes out onto the patio and he used it from then on. He gives Fred a run for his life. Fred just takes it. I am soo lucky. Anne

When I first got Arlie, he was just under a year old...I wish I'd gotten him younger for training purposes. I don't know what he went through in his previous life, but I know he wasn't abused, because he shows none of the telltale signs of it that never disappear. He's very self-assured and happy. BUT he had a voracious appetite and heaven help anyone that would get in between him and his food! The other day I was looking through his vet. file, and I saw a picture of him I hadn't noticed before on his adoption papers. At "intake" he was 63 lbs., and the photo shows a starving dog, very very skinny. (He's since remedied that). At adoption he weighed 79 lbs, he gained 16 lbs. in just two weeks!!! He weighs in at 113 now and needs to lose about 10%. I think once a dog has known true hunger, they don't view food the same again, they eat like there's no tomorrow...he will never be self-regulating like my old Retriever was. If I feed him four cups or six cups, it's all the same to him...not enough! I'm trying to learn to reward him with petting, belly rubs, a walk, etc. instead of just treats. And baby carrots make wonderful treats!

Arlie chewed my couch, the trim on the house, carpet, my favorite dress, countless shoes and slippers, an MP3 player, 100 hand made cards, my new book "Boundaries" which I hadn't gotten to read yet, a wall hanging, candles, unrecognizable items that I never did figure out what they'd been, my dining room chair, my rocking chair, my mattress, quilts, dog beds, harness, doghouse, bowl, water bucket, in addition to his many dog toys. The other day he added to the list, a toilet bowl brush holder. ??? And yes, he chewed a razor once, and toothbrushes. Most of his chewing was in the first two years, but he occasionally regresses. They say dogs aren't trying to be destructive, but are bored or upset by something. I think it helps him to have a routine so he knows what to expect, and to get occasional surprises (trips to the park, a ride, etc). I know he's not for most people; fortunately, I love him enough to value him way more than possessions. When I'm old (I could be considered that now but I don't think of myself that way yet), I won't be lamenting the house trim or the sofa, but I will always miss him when he goes.

Anne, you are making great progress with Benji! I finally have Arlie to the point where he'll listen to me and if I make him wait before eating, he'll do it...but I by no means accomplished it in a short amount of time! How great that Benji has a dog in the family to play with! Arlie loves it when my granddoggy Mozzy comes, but we won't see them until at least Spring break now.

Kelbi will sit and wait so that is good. She loves chewing so every morning I make extra porridge (with water) and fill her chews up and then freeze them. She is chewing one now. She isn't so destructive any more though if she gets my socks she chews them up. She is an alpha dog still however but very very loving. I don't feel quite so alone with her in the house though she would Make a lousy guard dog as she is totally silent.

Jan, what a great idea! I put peanut butter (just a tsp.) in Arlie's Kong and set it in his dog house so when I go to work it will distract him...he goes racing out to his pen and slams the door shut! I've taught him that so he gets his treat and he is so focused on that he doesn't try to escape. :) Any ideas I can glean from people to occupy his time is much appreciated!

Kay, I have three kongs and freeze wet dog food in it (water on the dry stuff) and a bit of peanut butter. Two kongs for the freezer so when I forget there is a spare, one for him. It takes them a long time to clean out a frozen kong. Arlies would need the extra extra large one...Bentley does also. :)

I used to use a kong but she never seemed to get right into it and it seemed rather unhygienic so now I use these things which look a bit like bones with something inside. After she has cleared out the insides when new, I use and reuse them as they are good or her teeth as once she has eaten the frozen porridge she continues to chew them, the only problem being that she can't count as usually I freeze two or three and when she has finished them she walks to the freezer thinking there should be another!

I clean Arlie's Kong out with a bottle brush and hot water, and wipe it with paper toweling inside, it seems to do the trick. Of course, I don't know why we worry about hygiene when we see the other stuff they get into, ha! I hadn't thought of putting stuff inside and freezing.

I haven't tried the Kongs. I do have the hard rubber dog bones with the nipples all over them, and the girls like to chew on them. I dont' worry too much about hygiene, my girls sometimes eat really gross stuff....if you get my drift. Mary, Sassy, the tan Corgi has a little bit longer body that the tri colored Faith. She can rest her front paws on the edge of the table, lay her head on the table, and out comes that long tounge reaching for anything she can get....Faith cannot do that, she depends on Sassy. lol

Mike loved these little dogs, and they were so attached to him. They were with him when he died. When my daughter found him, they were laying beside him on the floor, and did not want to leave his side. Finally when my son in law arrived, he managed to encourage them to go out into the fenced yard. They associated my leaving with a suitcase somehow to Mike's death, as I had left for the hospital a few days before Mike died. For months after his death, if I left the house with a suitcase, they were very stressed. They would mope around the house, worrying my daughter, or whomever was dog sitting. AND when I came home would nearly knock me down they were so glad to see me. They are my babies, and unlike many of you, I have not trained them well, they pretty much run the place. Luckily they are sweet and do not cause lots of problems. Kay, I so understand about the chewing. When Sassy was a puppy, she was a chewing machine, I don't have a chair leg or table leg without a chewed area!! Toys are no use to her because she chews them up, even the ones that say they cannot be destroyed! This is not unusual for Corgis. Love my babies.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I love to hear about naughty dogs because I have one! I don't think field spaniels ever grow up. Kelbi is completely hyper sometimes but I do love her. It's nine pm here in the uk and she is asleep,on a chair and I want to go to bed but seems a shame to disturb her. I don't allow her on my bed as I would never be able to sleep. I love these doggy stories.

Queenmary,

Your story about your Corgis reminded me of when I had Lucky...she was very smart and trained (by her former owner, not me). She knew how to open the screen door but that wasn't a problem (other than flies) because she wouldn't leave the property. Skye (my son's Husky), on the other hand, if he had a chance, he'd take off and keep going until he was arrested in the next county! He couldn't open the screen door, but quickly surmised that LUCKY could. I literally saw him go up to Lucky one day, tell her something in doggy talk, and she promptly trotted over to the door and opened it wide and let him out...he took off with a brisk pace! Sometimes they do work in cahoots with each other...

I love all these dog stories...Kay, that is a hoot about one dog letting another dog out the door. They are soooooo smart.

And Mary, I love the story about the long tongue grabbing whatever it could reach.

These fur babies of ours are all connections to our loved ones...as well as healers for us.

Peace

Mary

Healers they are, Mary. My spirits are lifted just reading some of the silly things all these doggies get into. Mary from AK made me laugh outloud picturing Sassy with her tongue reaching for whatever! I have discovered that Benji likes to chew washcloths! I have found two on the carpet with big holes in them. And I found one of my combs out on the patio when I went out to brush him! I will have to close a few doors I'm afraid. When Benji and Fred were playing the other day Benji got so excited that he ran right threw the screen door - just knocked it of the rollers! I thought he was going to splash in the pool the way he was running and playing with Fred. I don't know if he knows how to swim yet but I'll have to at least show him where the steps are in case he falls in or gets bumped in by Fred. Fred is a Beagle and he does not like water! Oh what fun. Anne

Dear Anne,

Congratulations on bringing your precious baby Benji home. I know how much you wanted your Jim there with you, but he was there with you in spirit. I'm glad you had Pat (Jim's daughter with you). Years ago my daughter and I volunteered at the Sunny Slope Rescue Center and we were so happy whenever we could find homes for all those special dogs. I'm sure Benji would have loved your Jim. The love between you and Benji will be very healing. I'll be looking forward to seeing more pictures of your baby Benji. Pumkin

If ever I end up in a city I would like to volunteer at an animal shelter, it would be very rewarding.

Anne, your Benji sounds adventuresome! Arlie has taken the screen out too, just popped frame and all right out! I can't leave the screen door shut and patio door open because he knows how to pop it out...I have to close the patio door to about five inches and put a metal rod in the track so he can't open it further...I don't get as much breeze that way but at least some. When I tried a wooden rod in the track, he took it out and chewed it up and then escaped! He challenges my old noggin sometimes!

Kay, you are so funny. I have this image of Arlie chewing up the very thing you used to keep him in line. Dogs are sooo smart. I am reading The Elephant Whisperer right now for book club and elephant can run circles around us for us.

Thanks for the laugh.

We are snowed in again..well, if I HAD to get somewhere I could. I drive in just about anything but do not always enjoy it.

Tomorrow sun and a trip to Madison to have my hearing aids tweaked at Costco and a trip to the art store to spend a gift certificate. I think I am painting again. It has been a long long time.

Mary

Mary, I hope you enjoy spending your gift cert., a trip to the art store is always fun!

Thanks, Kay. I want to get a new kind of Watercolor paints..fairly new...metallic... I know you love art stores and craft also. I remember the cards you sent to me. So lovely. Is there a good store near where you work?

Still snowing...started at midnight and soon it will be 24 hours. The fire station is about 2 blocks from me and the whole group just went by the house...car accident, I am sure. Someone's life just changed...maybe forever. I always think of that when I hear sirens.

Take care

Mary

I hate sirens and seeing the flashing lights. It reminds me of the day my sister became a quadriplegic and my nephew was killed and my other sister received brain damage. Everything in my teenage life fell into two categories after that..."before" and "after". We came up upon the accident and saw the car and the baby's bed in the road amid glass (oddly enough, the four month old was fine, I guess they're more pliable). This was before car seats.

There are a lot of craft places in the cities here...Michael's, Joann's, Ben Franklin, the U of O Art Supply Store. Most are nearby except the U of O one, I don't venture into Eugene much, try to stay in Springfield (less traffic, closer to my home). I have some metallic pots of a thick substance you can brush on something, but I wouldn't call it a paint. And I have Lumeire, which is thin and runny and kind of like paint but thinner. And I have a full supply of Pearl Ex, but it requires a substance to stick to, it's used a lot in stamping. it's pearly and some of it is metallic. It's always fun to get a new medium, it broadens the things you can do!