Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Benji Is Home

OMG, that is too cute! How funny! No wonder he makes you smile!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your Benji is adorable! Oh my goodness, what a trim made! What a cutie!

Oh boy, you're done for! :D Ha ha! I always had that rule too...before I had my granddoggy, Skye. Having a granddog is different than having your own, same as grandchildren vs. children. I was a strict mom, I had rules, I loved my kids but me and their dad, well we were tough. Then I got Skye. It's hard to explain unless you know him, but he's like having a Down Syndrome child. He is simple, but so happy, so very, very sweet! One look into his golden eyes and you're done for. Skye could do anything. He could have my furniture, heck, I'd even move for him if he wanted! Ha ha. My son couldn't believe it, he wanted to know where the tough mom that raised him was. She turned into a grandma. Then of course, when I got Arlie, Skye was living here, and I couldn't very well let Skye on the furniture, and not Arlie, could I? So then it was all over. Now my animals own the place and graciously let me live here.

Oh my goodness, Kay. I thought I was going to have so many rules but guess what - Benji just melts my heart. He has been well trained by his other owners but most times he just cracks me up. He comes to me when he wants his treats and sits up on his back legs with both paws up and makes noises! How cute is that! I can't pick up my keys because he thinks it's time to go for a ride in the car to the park or to PetSmart. He loves PetSmart. I am beginning to think that I should have named him Shadow because he follows me from room to room. When I let him out he turns around to see if I'm coming. I make him wait for me to go out on the patio just to show him that I am the alpha in this house. I wonder how long that is going to last! Yes, he is a hoot. My sofa is now covered because he insists on sitting right next to me when I watch news or try to read. He is good about the other furniture though and does not jump up on things. When I tell him it's time for bed he goes in the bedroom and jumps up on my bed! So I let him stay since he is good about staying at the bottom. It was time for me to bring him into the house. I am glad I have this bundle of fur hanging around. I think I'll keep him. :wub: Thank you all other dog lovers if you are reading this for putting up with my rantings.

Anne, Benji sounds like such a sweet furbaby...and so glad you are letting him on the sofa and bed. He has a right, you know :)

I know the key story...when I put on shoes or a jacket Bentley goes to the door and is raring to go. Today I had to leave him home as he would have had to sit in the car for 2.5 hours and it was just too cold. I am so glad you have Benji...he found you and he knows you rescued him. So happy for you. Love, mary

Anne, the happiness brought to you by this angel in a dog suit is palpable. We love hearing all about Benji ~ and of course you want him on the sofa and on your bed, to be as close to you as possible. Why wouldn't you want that? I am told that when I was a kid, I used to crawl into our boxer's dog house, and I'd refuse to come out until I smelled like the dog. It's a good thing I never had a horse of my own, as much as I loved riding them and the smell of them ~ I'd never have left the barn.

Oh, Marty, this has me laughing out loud....not sure which is funnier....you curled up in the dog house waiting to smell like a dog or you riding your "own wanna have" horse inside a barn.

Mary

I'm probably the only one in the world that thinks so, but I love the smell of my dog! Marty, that's funny!

Anne, I am so glad you found Benji, he's a perfect match for you! You sound so happy to have him! He is very adorable and it has to be great fun to have him around. I know what my Arlie has meant to me, he has brought so much pleasure to my life. This morning I told him I wouldn't take a Gazillion dollars for him...and I realized I honestly mean that. He is priceless to me!

Keep enjoying your Benji, I think it's great that he likes to snuggle up with you, I love that!

First I have to stop laughing like Mary said she was doing and Kay admitted that she really liked the smell of her dog! he hee. The imagination is a wonderful thing! Now, let’s see if I understand what you are saying, Marty. You spent your childhood wanting to smell like your dog and if you had your wish your mom and dad would have invested in bails of hay, carrots, and apples for a number of years. I don’t know if this could have saved them any money on your education or not but I am glad that you did not end up owning a horse because we would never have had the fun of getting to know you and your rather weird personality! I guess we can all be confident in your advice to us since you did not end up owning your own horse.

It is good to be able to laugh during this journey of grief. I have another question Marty – do you believe in reincarnation? I can’t help but think that you were perhaps dog or horse in another life. It is comforting to those of us who do own an animal to know that we are in capable hands. See the attachment and know it is offered with love. I do love my Benji. I would never have thought that I would be writing these things on a public forum. What fun! Anne

post-15704-0-81751600-1359902929_thumb.j

Anne, you are a kick. I love the pics...also.

Mary

Anne,

Oh, thank you!

Well, you have just given me my positive for this flu-recovery Sunday when I am not going church!

Benji is just such an alert, smart, cute, and slightly elfish fellow, with those great expressions and superb eyes! I am smiling and smiling to see his perky, alert face and stance. What a gift! Our dear friend who lost her husband recently has two excellent dog-kids, as we call them, and they make me smile, too.

But your Benji reminds me of my Scottie I had as a child, Wallace. What a great dog you have! And smart! I can see he is ready for any and all adventures, and he has such a great personality! Thank you for sharing these super photos! I am just smiling, and so happy for you to have such a great companion with you. And Benji looks totally happy and at home. It looks like a perfect match to me! Wonderful! *<twinkles>* and Much Love, feralfae

Kay, I love how Bentley smells after his grooming. I bury my face in his fur. Before grooming is another story...but no matter...I love how he smells anyway.

Marty, the more I think about you sitting in the dog house wanting to smell like a dog...the sweeter it is. A little girl loving dogs so much that she moved into the doghouse hoping to smell like one. How sweet is that?

I love this thread! I have to wonder though, what does it say about me to own my moose?! (My veterinarian calls Arlie a moose because he's so big). I am still smiling about Marty, but I well understand her! :)

Well, Kay, I think it says you found your four footed soul mate. And what a gift he is. I do not think I have ever seen a picture of him...so how about it?

Mary

Okay, this is him but not at his largest...the second one was the one that stole my heart in the newspaper four years ago. Further to the right is right after I adopted him.

post-914-0-53441400-1359948052_thumb.jpg

post-914-0-31596800-1359948077_thumb.jpg

post-914-0-21306600-1359948309_thumb.jpg

post-914-0-65174200-1359948339_thumb.jpg

Kay, he is awesome and beautiful....and yes, big. How much does he weigh? I know you told us once. He is great...just great. He is about the same color as Bentley.

Mary

His eyes look like he has eye liner on. I am not a very good photographer, or I'd have more recent ones...he's hard to photograph though because he's usually in motion. He weighs 113 lbs at the last vet visit. I'm trying to keep him from gaining any more, he shouldn't be over 100. He has the retriever body/fur, the Husky face/tail/ears. They call this mixed breed Goberian, but the way it displays is different from dog to dog, it's hard to find one that looks like him, although I found a picture of a puppy that he could have looked like when he was little. I wish I could have gotten him when he was younger!

Oh Kay, such a handsome Arlie. I hope he is good when you are walking him! Benji is only 18ibs but he tries real hard to be the alpha with me when we are walking. I so agree with you Mary - dogs smell so good after grooming. I love being among the dogs lovers on this forum. I think a little laughter helps us in our grieving. Anne

Arlie is just beautiful, Kay ~ and his food dish is almost as big as he is!

Anne, your posts about Benji speak so eloquently of the joy that a dog can bring to a grieving heart ~ I'm so pleased that you opened your heart and your home to that dear furry soul ~ and I love this thread, too.

Indeed dogs do smell good after being groomed ~ except that we always told Beringer he smelled like a girlie dog after being at the groomer's. It always took a few days until he smelled like his wonderful self again. (I have a zip-lock bag with some of his hair; I can still smell him when I stick my nose in it.)

Call me eccentric or crazy (or weird :blink:), but I do love the smell of dogs (and horses) ~ and is there anything sweeter than puppy breath?!

Kay, when I logged on before only two pictures of Arlie came up. Who knows why. Now I see four. Anyway, I like him...a lot. Nice teeth too :) big smile!

Marty, I saved fur from Buffy, our first Golden...and his collar and have those and pictures and letters from friends from when Buffy died all in their own box. He was 14. And I still remember Bentley's puppy breath...if loving like that is eccentric and crazy and weird...I'm in. I love burying my face in Bentley's fur...groomed or not. Soft and warm.

Tonight I was cutting up a newly roasted chicken and accidentally dropped a huge chunk on the floor...before I could bend to get it, guess who swooped it up faster than lightening. He must have swallowed it whole because 1 minute later...everything he had eaten about an hour before was on the floor. And mother hen Mary got nervous that he got a bone...but he is fine...no bones found. What we don't do for our fur babies.

Anne, your Benji is so lucky to have you for a mom. And he will help to heal you on this painful journey. I told Bentley today that I do not know what I would do without him...and I truly don't. He reads me like a book, is totally tuned into me and keeps me going on tough days. It sounds like Benji is already connected to your soul.

Mary

Arlie's 43 lbs heavier than he was in the food dish picture. Most of the time Arlie is good on his walks, but if someone comes along with a dog or horse or something, he gets weirded out. He gets over stimulated really easy! When he's like that, he doesn't hear me. I keep my eyes peeled for potential problems and have had to wrap his leash around a fence post for leverage until the problem passes. I do not like people approaching, esp. with dogs, when I'm walking him because he's so strong and hard to handle. I have been known to warn people away. Not that he'd hurt them, but that it's hard for me to control him...he's stronger, and like I say, when he loses his brains, it's tough. I walked him one handed when I broke my arm and he was good...I think he senses when I really need him to be extra good, like when it's icy out. His smile is what hooked me!

Mary, I worry about things like that too, I don't want him getting any bones. He got one at my sister's one time, and I was freaked out for a week afterwards, esp. since he got sick afterwards, I was worried about an obstruction. I had a dog that choked to death after getting into the garbage once, I hadn't been aware that he'd gotten a bone until it was too late.

Dogs are like healing balm to the soul! I don't know what I'd do without my Arlie.

I think I've found some fellow dog lovers here, you all seem as "gone" as I am! :)

Arlie is a heap of dog for you to try to control. A few years ago, Bentley took off. We were at a friend's llama farm and I had been looking at the newborn an hour old. Bentley was in the car. So I decided to show him the llamas. He got out of the car, on leash, and tore before I knew what was happening. I hung on for dear life until I realized I HAD to let go. By that time, I was flat on the ground, he had smelled the llamas and was standing next to me...bored. Lesson learned. That was right after Bill died and his manners had been totally ignored. He is well under control now. But Kay, be careful. I know you are but you can get really hurt as Arlie and Bentley are extremely strong...more than we know.

Yes, I was concerned last night but I knew I was cutting off breast meat and was 90% sure it was all meat. I think he was so excited to see a huge piece of chicken that he inhaled it, got caught and up came what appeared to be six weeks worth of food :) Yes, I went through it and he is fine...was begging for more chicken within the hour. He did not get any...well maybe just a small piece. It is frightening. I never give Bentley bones or hides. Bill had to use kitchen tongs when Bentley was about 3 to pull a hide out of his throat...they are slippery and I could only see the tip of it...so Bill went in and retrieved a huge piece. NO more hides. Not sure a dog should be eating hide anyway. I can not imagine losing a dog to choking to death. I am so sorry that happened.

Yes, Kay, dogs are healers. No doubt about that.

Mary

I am extremely careful with Arlie. That's one reason I can't just get any person to dog sit for me. Our local kennels went out of business so it ties me down pretty much. He's taken down people stronger than me, but that's because they're relying solely on their strength and you have to use your brains too. If we can't outwit them, we're in trouble! I tackled Arlie when he got loose in June 2011, that's when he bucked me and I landed teeth & nose first on a huge stone...the stone won. I broke my front tooth off, costing me $3,000 for a bridge, and I broke my nose plus many scrapes/bruises. I learned never to do that again! You made the right choice letting go, that's what I'd do now, for sure!

I remember that. A pricey lesson it sounds like you and Arlie have a great connection that helps you to take charge. The kennel people do not. I just saw a quote by Aristotle that I love: friendship is one soul in two bodies. Rare but besides our spouses, dogs and a handful of people qualify. :) I just typed an entry on positives and lost it. I do not know what I do bit I have done it before. C'est la vie.

Peace

Mary

Copy it (select it then hit Ctrl C) before you hit post, that way you won't lose it. I hate when that happens, esp. when it's something that took a lot of thinking to articulate!