Grief Healing Discussion Groups

And Now This...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry, I'm so glad to hear this. And just for the record, I opt for you to do a SHORTER distance, not push yourself, I don't want you to have more damage!

I'm hoping for 13.1 at this point. I've trained too hard to be happy with less than that. But I'll settle for less if it comes to that. I just won't be happy about it.

--H.

That is great news, Harry!

• 2 weeks later...

It never ends. I got an email this morning that one of my former students committed suicide yesterday.

Every time I think I am finally making some progress--getting a handle on the latest death--bam--there's another one.

Harry

I'm so sorry, Harry...the trouble is, all of your students were your kids, and with that many, there's bound to be some calamity, most of us "parents" don't suffer those odds. There's nothing worse, I'm just so sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

This doesn't get any better, does it?

I just got an email from my best friend from high school. His wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer--a 4 cm tumor near the chest wall in her right breast. She will have to have six months of chemo before they can do surgery to remove the breast. The closeness to the rib cage means they will have difficulty getting clean margins without shrinking the tumor first.

They are in western Canada--and well out in the boonies. The winter population is about 500. The nearest cancer center is 3-4 hours away in Prince George.

So much for my week away from cancer.

Peace,

Harry

Harry,

I am sorry for your friend's news. It will be tough but they can get through it, somehow we do what we must even if it's really hard. Do they have somewhere to stay near the hospital so they wouldn't have to travel such a distance back the same day as the chemo?

Dear Kay,

That's on my list when I talk to them. In the winter, there are times they simply can't get out of there.

Peace,

Harry

• 1 month later...

Dear friends,

I said to Anne elsewhere today that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. It is not just that Jane would turn 60 today.

November 6, I spent most of the day at Dana-Farber talking with doctors and support staff about our plans for next year and the things we need to do to finish this one well. I came home late that night to discover a message from Gail's sister on my answering machine. She had not been able to get her father out of bed that morning and eventually took him to the hospital. By Monday morning, we knew he had developed a rapidly progressing prostate cancer that had--in less than a year--metastasized to his bones from a standing start.

Friday continued downhill from there. Another friend called in the afternoon to tell me her mother, who has been fighting Parkinson's for several years, had taken a turn and was not expected to last the weekend.

Then, after a trip to the hospital to see Jane's father, Jane's sister--Gail--dropped the third bomb of the day. About a month ago, she found an oddly shaped lump in the breast that was treated for breast cancer almost six years ago. She had a new mammogram and an ultrasound done last week and, while she is seeing her surgeon about the test results on Wednesday, it sounds likely this is a false alarm given what the technician and radiologist say they saw in the tests.

The same weekend, Jane's uncle appears to have had a stroke, which he was hospitalized for. He seems to be recovering, but with someone in their 90s, you just never know.

My friend's mother was buried on Saturday, Jane's Dad is out of the hospital but so weak they sent him to a residential rehab center for physical therapy. He will travel--at least initially--by ambulance to his dialysis sessions three days a week. He wants to go home--and will, if all goes well, in a few weeks. They are treating the cancer with some kind of hormone and he seems to be recovering. But I wonder how aggressive the cancer is and how long he really has.

That these things are happening at the emotionally most difficult part of my year--November 15 was the fourth anniversary of Jane's heart surgery--and today is the fourth anniversary of the first of the carcinoid attacks that would eventually kill her--has left my head spinning and my ability to function more than a little impaired. Still, Gail is counting on me to help her get through this latest crisis with their father--and I don't feel there is much choice in the matter: they are family.

Meanwhile, I have to continue to fight my way through the state paperwork for the Foundation and prepare for another series of meetings with the bigwigs at Dana-Farber at the end of the week. I'll get through it all--but it is not going to be easy. However, I remind myself that none of this is as difficult as that last month by Jane's bedside in the hospital. Nothing will ever compare to that.

Peace,

Harry

I am sorry, Harry. Sometimes it seems it pours, I am going through it too. It seems the older we get, the more we are hit with knowing people who are getting devastating news, and frankly, it's hard to digest it all. You're in my thoughts and prayers today dear friend.

Remember to breathe and take one day at a time. We are here to pour your heart out to, to vent, to cry, whatever you need. Death does not seem "normal" to us, nor does grief or tragedy or pain or illness. I've had my older sister to watch as I've aged and see her go through the things that I am now facing...she hasn't lost her husband, but she has lost her closest friends to death. To her, that was like my losing George. Her husband is a boorish man, it was her friends that met her needs, and it broke her heart to lose them. She tends to stay in too much and hasn't involved herself with volunteer work. I'm trying to incorporate getting out more and volunteering both into my life...following Anne and Mary and QMary as I see what has worked for them. You have been so busy, maybe too busy. I pray you find respite and peace even in all of the busyness and dogged determination/ambition to accomplish your goals...and even in the midst of sorrow and heartache. You've had more hits than your share...perhaps because you have established more friendships along the way, you've had more to lose. I know how painful this is. I've learned that the 60s and 70s and beyond are hardly what they call "the golden years"...years of challenge, more like it! They are not "bad" years, just very challenging ones. But we are ever growing along the way, our journey teaching us until the end.