Grief Healing Discussion Groups

5 Months & Knee Surgery

Hi. I have not been able to sign in here for a while. Internet is better now. Hopefully solved.

So tomorrow is 5 months since my bride left this earthly life, our home, and my arms. Ouch... Just typing those words rips at my heart and sends me into tears :(

How can it be this long already? Where have 5 months gone? It's all a blur.

Tomorrow is also the day I am going in for surgery to have a knee replacement. My ACL, MCL, medial and lateral meniscus have all been torn too much everything is just shredded. I will be in the hospital for 5-7 days then be going to a rehab facility for 2-4 weeks then at home will have an in home physical therapist working with me. It's a good 12 week recovery or more depending on the person.

I of course want my bride here. I don't want to do this without her. I'm scared. I'm afraid of my cardiac health. Though I checked out for that. But with my cardiac issues the last few months... I'm scared. I'm not ready to leave my son and grandson and DIL and the twins she is carrying. My family. OUR family... Though Mary is not here on earth... It's OUR family.

Tomorrow night at 11:15 will be 5 months. I will most likely be so out of it I won't know. But I will know going into surgery in the morning. :(

I will have our son email Kay and Anne (if okay) when I'm out of surgery and safe and sound.

Prayers would be appreciated. Maybe my love will come to me when I'm in surgery. Who knows. I miss her so...

Butch

Oh Butch, my heart goes out to you as you face all of these challenges without your beloved's physical presence. I believe she will be with you as you go into surgery and in the days ahead. Nothing could keep her from it! I would love it if your son would email me and let me know how you come through the surgery, how you're doing. I'd appreciate his staying in touch. I cry out to God for you, hasn't this family been through enough! I know He is with us whatever we go through and will see you through all of the surgery and rehab.

Looking forward to the day you can come home again. Praying!!!

Kay

Thank you as always Kay

I would email you myself... However you probably would get a lot of not making sense in the early days... LOL. :)

So I will let Allen do it.

I'm about to have my "last supper". Haha! As I can't eat drink past 10 they said. Having steak on the grill! Got my boys here with me.

Butch, my dear, I assure you that you will be in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this surgery, recovery and rehab. There is no doubt in my mind that your beloved will be watching over you throughout, and we'll all be with you in spirit as well, pulling for you and holding you close in our hearts. Having had one knee replacement and three hip replacements myself, I've some idea of what you are facing ~ but my best advice is this: Once you're out of surgery and awake, listen to your nurses and get up and get walking as soon and as often as you can. Ask for pain medication as often as you need it. Drink plenty of water. Breathe deeply to clear your lungs of the anesthesia. And the best part about knee replacement surgery? The pain you've been living with in that knee will be behind you rather than ahead of you, and it will feel better with every passing day! I think you will be very glad that you decided to get that new knee ~ and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Oh, Butch, I am sorry that you have to go through the knee replacement but glad that something is going to be done for all the pain. Of course, you can have Allen e-mail me as soon as he is able to let us know how the surgery went. I can assure you that you will not be e-mailing anyone for several days!

One thing that you must remember, Butch, is that your Mary will be with you. Not in the way you want, but she will be with you.

Guess what? So will all of us. You don't think we'd allow you to go into the operating room without us do you!

Anne

I hope you enjoy your boys and your steak for your "Last Supper"! :P

Butch, sorry for all that you are going through. I know it is a long recovery, but you will be glad you had the knee done. I have had both done, and do not regret for a minute. Thinking of you, and praying today.

QMary

Butch came through the surgery, his heart held up. Having a bit of a rough time with vomiting and irregular heartbeat but otherwise doing as well as one could hope. His grandsons are sick right now, adding to what the family is already going through. Keep praying for Butch!

Kay, thank you for the update on Butch.

Butch, when you read this, I know you feel Mary there with you, and your knee will heal fast so you can play with the new grand babies when they make an appearance.

QMary, I hope you have a super hit, and that the trip to California and the Grand Canyon are healing and joyful for you.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Having knees replaced is no easy road, but in the end he'll be better off for it, my he's had a time! I pray he can sleep well tonight and without the nausea brought on by the anesthesia.

Butch, just stopping in to send good wishes for uneventful healing and a comfortable return to home when you are ready. Will you be going to an interim facility?

Blessings and lots of *<fairy dust>* coming your way. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

We received this note from Allen, Butch's son:

My Dad got discharged today. He is home. One week post op. We have nurses 24/7 for now. Two a day doing 12 hour shifts. Kind ladies. My Dad is still in great pain. But he's weaned down to oral 10/325 percocets every 4-6 hours. Actually 5/325 but he can take two for severe pain and as the pain decreases he may only need one. The nurses though are in charge of all of his meds for everything. Katie, myself, and with our boys have decided to move into his place. I want to be here with him. We have been here more often than not since my Mom died in Jan. It's just best. The boys are old enough that they know how to behave and be quiet for their Grampy. And my Dad loves the idea of having us with him esp with two more grandchildren on the way. I think this will be so good for him. For his spirits. He has "his space" in his office and my parents bedroom. That's his sanctuary since my Mom died. Anyway, PT will be coming in starting Monday to assess him and start gently working with his new knee. I'm so glad he doesn't have to be in a rehabilitation facility. He's home. In his bed. The pup is so happy he is home. He was my Mom's pup and now means everything to Dad. And vise versa. Dad is using a wheelchair and when PT starts coming Monday, I think he will be using a walker more and then eventually crutches. He's got a strong upper body so getting to and from the wheelchair is easy for him. The funny thing is this afternoon since he's been home, Little Man jumps in his lap when he gets in the wheelchair.
Dad is not ready to type yet. Too much pain. He's sleeping now finally after having some soup. The nausea is less overwhelming. He does have Zofran for that though.
Please pass on this to your group. Dad asked if you would. He sends hellos and prayers for all. He apologizes he can't be involved right now.
Blessing to you both. Thank you for being friend to my wonderful Dad. And I know you were friend to my Mom as well. I personally thank you and everyone in your group.
~Allen

Kay, thank you for posting Allen's note. I am so glad Butch will have family close at hand.

Please thank Allen for sharing with us when you next are in touch with him.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Hi everyone

Thanks for the thoughts etc... I'm partially with it enough to check in. Still in loads of pain but today the Percocet is actually kicking in mor. I hate the doped up feel. Hate the nausea. I was so sick after surgery and several days vomiting violently. I remember very little of the week. Esp first 5 days. Allen said I kept asking he and staff for Mary. Why would I do that? I mean asking once and being told she's no longer with us. But repeat ly asking. That's insane. :(

Noah is goimg to be ten on Saturday. Our first grandson. He's almost as tall as me. I'm short.

My head is real spinning right now so am going to rest. Had soup and meds. The nurses are nice that they have here at home. Dreading PT next week.

Thank u for thinking of me. Love to all ❤️

Butch

Butch,

I think it was perfectly normal to call for Mary. I called for Doug. We relied on them and expected them to be there in times of crisis.

I am glad that you have nice nurses. I am truly glad that you are at home, in your own home. Pain medications can make us do silly things, and soon you will be off of them and up and about again. A friend had knee replacement and is now back to running, although a bit slower.

You have been through another challenging time with this surgery, so remember to rest, drink lots of fluids, and eat well. You may want to step up the protein a bit while things are healing.

We are all holding you in prayer. You have a lot of strength and determination, and although you are certainly very wounded right now, you are healing and will be better soon.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Home, sweet home. You came through the surgery now the work begins. I know you will do what you have to do to get back to playing basketball with the boys. Before you know it you will be taking Little Man out for walks. Don't give your nurses too hard of a time ~ they control your meds! :P

Anne

Butch,

I'm short too so we're in good company (5'). :) I hope you're able to enjoy your grandson's birthday this weekend.

It isn't surprising to me at all that you kept asking for Mary, she's been in your life so long and you were always there for each other. Besides you were doped up and couldn't know a year from now from the present. It makes sense you reached out to the one you love.

I'm glad you're home, it'll be easier to deal with than being in a hospital or rehab. I'm so glad you have your son there for you. Listen to Anne! :D

The doctors are putting Butch inpatient so they can keep a better eye on his medicines, food, treatment, etc. for now. Please keep him in your prayers and I hope he can be back with us soon.

Kay, Thank you so much for the update. When you write to Butch, please give hims some *<fairy dust>* from me.

It is hot, hot, hot here and dry and windy. I am watering like crazy, the prickly pear is in bloom, and the birds are panting as they perch in the shade...and it is predicted to go to 101F on Sunday. Around here, we are all just trying to keep cool.

I hope your weather is a bit more comfortable, and that you and the fur babies have cool shade for comfort.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you, fae, but we aren't able to write to him right now, we're corresponding with his son and Butch isn't able to assimilate much with his pain and medications. We'll have to save some fairy dust for him for when he's more cognizant. :)