Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I just found this on Facebook, and really felt it might help explain what happens to our loved ones when they pass, and transform into spirit:

The Dragonfly Story

By Walter Dudley Cavert

“In the bottom of an old pond lived some grubs who could not understand why none of their group ever came back after crawling up the lily stems to the top of the water. They promised each other that the next one who was called to make the upward climb would return and tell what had happened to him. Soon one of them felt an urgent impulse to seek the surface; he rested himself on the top of a lily pad and went through a glorious transformation which made him a dragonfly with beautiful wings. In vain he tried to keep his promise. Flying back and forth over the pond, he peered down at his friends below. Then he realized that even if they could see him they would not recognize such a radiant creature as one of their number.

The fact that we cannot see our friends or communicate with them after the transformation which we call death is no proof that they cease to exist.”

• Upvote 9

That's awesome Maryann, and feels so true.  Thank you for sharing that! Us grubs though can look up at the surface though, and sometimes when the light is just right, we just may be able to recognize them.  And if we can recognize them, we could maybe feel the rays of light reflecting off the sparkling wings, or just be happy sliming our way into their cool shadow. :wub:

Patty

• Upvote 4

When my mother died 12 years ago I had quite a number of odd experiences with rabbits - like where one would come running up to me on a trail and seemed to be trying to say something to me. Since she was crazy about rabbits since she was little, I got the idea that she was trying to tell me something. It was hard to figure out what it was but it seemed she was telling me to take care of my dad. I think the spirits of those who have gone are around us, but it can be hard to recognize them, or what they are telling us.

• Upvote 1

Clematis, I so agree...Kev was trying to get my attention with a turtle on our porch...not sure what the message was...I have thought he was trying to tell me to pay attention...as he often complained about my tunnel vision...not really sure though...

That big turtle was in our back porch...never before or since...we had a history with it though...and the dog  was barking...

I looked out, fully expecting our neighbor to be standing there...but no one was there...finally the dog drew my attention downward...and there was the turtle. He just looked at me and walked away. I thought, oh..,so you got my attention....but what is the message?

? Puzzled still, Marie

• Upvote 1

It is so hard to know, but if anything I think the messages may be larger than and beyond the superficial. I kept thinking that my mother was telling me to take care of my dad and eventually the "rabbit messages" stopped and all of the rabbits I encountered were totally normal rabbits. I thought she stopped because she finally believed that I was devoted to taking care of him. Then, a few months before my dad died I started seeing rabbits that seemed to be trying to tell me something. My fear was that she was coming to take him with her and that he would soon be gone.

At some point I started to get the idea that she was telling me that she loved me and that she had always loved me. I never got this message while she was alive and so it was hard to hear it from the rabbits. I wondered if maybe she had given up on my hearing her and started trying to reach me again because she knew he was going to leave me soon.  I think maybe she was trying to help me - that if I knew that I really did have a mother who loved me all along it would help when I lost my father. I don't know if it helped because I felt like I lost my mother all over again.

I think that when those who have left us make the effort to send us messages through animals, the messages are most likely to be profound and from the heart. I see it like this; before the telephone, if you wanted a fast message it went by telegram. Telegram messages were only for urgent messages and due to cost they were very short. If instant communication is very easy and cheap/plentiful, you can go on and on. My dad has been rather chatty since his death; it seems he found a way to communicate with me easily and I hear him easily. Therefore I get a stream of stuff from him...telling me I should go get the fire extinguisher from the other house, buy the better tires, get some gas so I don't run out, and so on.

From my mother it has been more like telegrams - two of them in 12 years - to take care of my dad and that she always loved me even though it might have seemed otherwise. I think my dad also has bigger messages, but I have to read between the lines to find them. Same thing when he was alive. When I was really distraught about something, his reaction was always to try to throw money at the problem. He never said it, but I think the underlying message was that it grieved him to see me hurt or distraught, and he tried to fit whatever the problem was in the only way he thought he could.

• Upvote 1

I don't recall ever getting a "message" from someone, but I was particularly distraught one weekend (social security office told me I'd get $200/month instead of the $1200 anticipated) and I felt George's hand on my back/shoulder area.  It felt like he was physically touching, reassuring me.  I needed that at that time more than ever as I had to wait a three day weekend to call someone else at social security and talk to them.  It was a nerve wracking wait but after I felt his touch, it calmed me, let me know everything was okay.

• Upvote 1