Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Got a new puppy!

I posted pictures in Loss of Pet section, Living with Loss thread.  My son brought him last night, all of five pounds, a baby.  Don't know how I'm going to survive this (I slept two hours last night) but as my sister pointed out, Keep my eye on what will be on down the road.  I remind myself how hard that first year with Arlie was and yet he turned out to be the best dog in the world.  I don't look for him to be like Arlie, he won't be, that boy is one of a kind, but this one will be his own person dog.

• Like 3

Saw the pictures. What a cutie! Is he a Husky? Boy, you're in trouble now! Remember to put up anything you don't want chewed. What a nice early Christmas present! Your son is very special.

• Like 2

Congrats Kaye!  I remember when mine (a Westie) was a puppy.  He is my first ever dog.  We crated him when we brought him home at 9 weeks old, and for two weeks, Stephen and I took turns sleeping on the floor on couch pillows in front of Louie's crate.  Stephen warned me the unbelievable sound that comes out of a puppy at night.  We also were so blessed in that our pup never chewed anything other than his toys.  

I am sure baby stage in all things is the cutest and most challenging.  You will do fine!

Hugs, ~Shirley

• Like 3

I am just so tired, at this point I'd trade cuteness for a good night's sleep!  I held him last night and he woke up at one crying, wouldn't stop no matter what I tried.  I finally resorted to putting him in a crate at the far end of the house, I'm so desperate for sleep after 2 hours the night before and four hours when he woke me up last night.  I got a couple more finally but still am so tired.  He hates the crate but I have to watch him every minute so if I'm to get any sleep, it's necessary.

Kodie is a Kleekai which is bred to be a miniature Husky.  I chose the more mellow one for what that's worth.

• Like 1

Codie is going through separation anxiety, quite natural as he is adjusting to a new environment.  Just give him lots of love and cuddle time.  

Crating seems cruel to some, but it is really a healthy thing for your pup.   Stephen and I both worked when we brought Louie into our home.  Until he was potty trained, one of us came home every day at lunchtime (changing wet towels in his crate - using towels is a great idea, by the way - then we'd take him outdoors to potty.  Puppies have a baby bladder.  That will develop in time when they can hold it longer.

We are older, more settled in our ways, less patient, and have more want for a steady stream of our days.  Yours is turned upside down for a while.  A new routine in both your lives will develop.  You have the opportunity to work with a clean slate with a puppy.  The outcome will be grand as you two move forward.

Miniature husky, how cute is that!  

You're doing great!  Keep up the good work!

Hugs, ~Shirley

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

KayC-

Yes keep an eye on what will be down the road is the best advice I could get when I had Strider as a pup.

He tried me to my near breaking point. I have to work and he was raised an indoor puppy at six months not yet house broken. It's difficult to house train when you are not there. They naturally prefer to go outside but when they are young you have to take them out at the very first sign if you get a warning at all.

So just to tell you how Strider was, he was the type to do a very good job of not going inside only to wait until I walked in from work and then he would look at me and go right then. He literally just about drove me to my wits end and just as I was about to give up, suddenly he just got it.

Its funny because i like to watch out for when they actually lift their leg when they go. One day they just decide to lift there leg and then its on from there. I have heard that that is the day they become a man. Silly isn't it. Strider used to squat as a pup and then one day, magically, the leg came up and he was a man.😊

Once the terrible two's were over it was a whole new story. Everything was different and he had finally became the amazingly good dog he is today.

Yes, I admire you for taking on a new puppy. Way to go. Very challenging and always interesting to say the least. 

image.gif

• Like 2

After the first two nights he's been wonderful about sleeping and totally used to his crate at night.  I couldn't ask for a better puppy. He's housebroken for pee, but his poop is another matter but he's starting to do it outside more.  I've seen him hold it outside all day and come in the house and poop!  Can be frustrating, but everything else he's great with.  I have to watch him, like having a baby in the house, so he doesn't chew on something he shouldn't.  He has lots of toys and loves them and is self-entertaining for the most part.  He's very cuddly!  I'm glad I got him.  I think at first it's kind of overwhelming and in my case, I hadn't been expecting anything like this!

He doesn't lift his leg to pee, but he's only peed in the house once that I've seen.  He loves the grass when it's dry and will roll in it and just get so excited to be on it!  He's about the best young puppy in the world!  I got Arlie just under a year and his first year with me (until age 2) he chewed up everything!  I think it takes them a couple of years to figure things out and what we want of them.  Plus they go through the teething and don't seem to always distinguish between a telephone cord and a toy.  Hence the watching them just like a baby.  

• Like 2

This is when my son first brought him to me (of course I had to be in my nightgown and no makeup!), he's just a little doll!

Kodie & me 121019.jpg

• Like 6

Absolutely beautiful. Love the markings and the ears.

Funny, I bought an expensive indoor training crate and never had enough heart to put Strider in it. Ended up giving it to a lady at the dog park that was fostering five puppies.

He had the run of the entire house when he was a puppy.

Puppy pads everywhere for months. I remember coming home and the in-table lamp was lying on the living room floor carpet. I think he pulled it off the in-table accidentally by the chord and it must of scared him pretty bad because now he doesn't like anything moving that's not supposed to move. He has never bothered anything in the house since.

Sometimes I wished I never let him sleep in the bed though, he is definitely a bed hog. 

• Like 1

Puppy pads/newspapers don't work for him because he goes a different place every time and doesn't associate it with "where to go."  The crate was a safety necessity as I can't watch him in my sleep.  I haven't yet had the heart to put him in it in the daytime to housebreak him, I know I'll probably have to resort to that eventually, it's what I had to do with Fluffy after five months of trying to no avail and it worked in relatively short order!  Arlie figured everything out on his own inside of two weeks, won't be that lucky again!