Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Video Called "a Parent's Wish"

I was sent this web site by a friend..it is beautiful...cried all the way through but if you have lost a older parent this is a must see..

I completed a Daughter's without Mother's session over 6 wks. and I can't tell you how it has helped me. I wouldn't have been able to look at this let alone send it on 8 weeks ago....It has really helped me heal...

Please check this web site out....wwwparentswish.com

Thanks, Funnyface, I'm going to check it out. That is great that you could attend a program like that! Wish they had something like that where I live. That's why this board has been such a help to me. Just hearing other peoples experiences with grieveing helps so much.

Shell

I'm at work and do not have speakers on my PC and it still moved me to tears. I've forwarded it to my home email, so I can view it w/ sound. Thank you. My father passed away February 7, 2006 after a long illness. He had dementia and end stage emphysema and I could soooo relate to much of what was said.

This was beautiful. Although I certainly do not want to have reasons for crying, this was necesary, as tears can cleanse the soul. Thank you very much for sharing.

Everyone.....I hope that the "Parent's Wish also helped you understand maybe where your parents were at their time in life...I know it won't apply to everyone....

I can't tell you what a help that Hopsice of the Valley has been and the wonderful friendships that were made in the group grief sessions....three of us are now in a Red Hat Society chapter and see each other a couple times a month....we are contuning to help each other grieve and be there for one another.

It will be a year in Sept that I lost my Mother and a year last March that I have lost my Dad...and for all of you that are still struggling I want you to know that there is light at the end of tunnel.....we will make it through our grief....some of us faster than others but we will make it.....I didn't think I would but now I do see progress.....Hang in there.....we are all in this together.......there will be stumbles but we needed help to walk in the first place didn't we......it the stumbles are all right...

Love Funnyface

Thank you, FunnyFace, it does shed some hope when someone who is a little bit further down the road tells us there is light at the end of the tunnel, like a little thing called hope on the bottom of the messy remains of Pandora's box. Thank you very much.

One day at a time.

thanks for the link. I have been reading this site for a while...never posted. I have lost my mom at Easter, this year... lost my father 6 years ago, I am a lonely child, no brother and sister, and I have to deal with life one day at a time, since my mom left this world. Now, since a few days, I can say I am very slowly showing signs of amelioration in coping with daily life but....your Website link made me shed tears, again, though I had read it before, a while ago with no impact...now after my mom's death, I understand the true meaning. When time gets hard, I come to Hospice of the Valley and all your posting help me in coping. Needed to say thanks to all that post on this Website. Reading your experience helps in solitude and moments of sadness.

Welcome Nic,

I'm glad you found this site and that it helps you. It has helped so many of us through this horrible grief experience. I'm so sorry for your losses, it's hard to be alone. You are right to take it one day at a time, it's about the only way to get through it. It's been a year and five months since my dad died and I'm still taking it one day at a time. Please come back and read and share. There are a lot of caring people here.

Hugs to you,

Shell

I just want everyone to know that the pain does ease some....it is not a constant for me anymore.....certain things will trigger me....a song, smell, situation but I am doing better each and every day. I know that my parents wouldn't want me to sit around all the time thinking of them and grieving...

Nic...I am also a only child and was extremely close to my parents.....it was always the 3 of us....than came along my husband and my father was jealous that he was no long the dominant male in my life......that's how close we were.

He died in March with Alzheimers....that was the most horrible thing in the world to sit there and see this brillant man that once was my father become so baby like...unable to do anything himself.......this was a terrible toll on my Mother and after he died I don't think she felt she had a reason to live....she discovered she had breast cancer in Aug. and was dead by Sept 2005. She would have been 83 Sept 28. When my father died it was almost a blessing....but I really didn't have the time to grieve because you see....I had to be the strong one...for my Mother......after she died I wound up grieving the both of them......I feel like I am a orphan....I have no aunts, uncles, cousins......just my wonderful husband, son and daughter-in-law.

Things are better for me and someday they will be better for all of those who are still so overwhelmed by their grief. We will never never forget our beloved parents but remember....we are a part of them....so they live on in us.....

Funnyface

thanks Funnyface for your thoughts. It helps me to know that you were also a lonely child and what you have gone through.

I am, as you, lucky to have a great partner in life, he loved my mom and we do help each other through those times. Now that both my parents has passed away, I can related to what you are saying "that they lived on in us"....

more than ever now, I go through their pictures, their writings, their paintings, and I am building an electronic scrapbook of all things I can scan to my PC. It is hard to do, sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry, but it does feel as they are part of me.

I hope that one day, when I passed away, someone in my distant family or friend will enjoy discovering my life through my stuff. I have no kids but surely somebody will be curious.

Your post encouraged me to keep going on my project of memories of my parents and it helps knowing that it will get better.

Nic. I am so glad I could help someone....July 11 was my birthday and the moment I woke up I thought of my Mother......and all day I couldn't get her out of my mind...I had bought her a bear that played a song about how much I loved her even when I wasn't there.....we would go on short trips and I guess all the time we were gone she would play this bear.....and even when she was lonely....When she was dying we would play that for her and spray her lavender sheet spray all around her......anyway, I was humming that song the whole day.....very strange.

Things do get better.....I know...I was so devistated by her death but I do feel like I am making progress...things do set me off but I think that is only natural......everytime I look at my son I see my Dad literally.....he is just like him......and I would like to think that I am just like Mom....kind and caring to everyone.....

We are all here for each other.......a big hug from me....

Funnyface

Happy late Birthday funnyface! Even in grieving I believe in sharing wishes of hope! I do not logged in daily...I will have my birthday on Sept 2nd and I know I will think of my mom a lot. When I was younger I used to travel on my birthday, Europe, USA, etc...when my mom got older, I tried to stay closer to home and sharing it with her. My mom being an unique child as I am, I started understanding the need to celebrate this day with her...received a card from her in snail mail, an email, a gift, a phone call...I was so lucky!

My best cousin, is close to me, her too having loss her mom, it's been more than 3 years and she has a daughter. But this discussion group is closer to the time frame of lost that I am living presently. So reading from it really helps!

I can see the joy you see in your son..without children, I am the only one carrying their arts, their writings, their thoughts and I think this is motivating me in cleaning the house and going through their personal stuff. They have probably a story to tell and I should be the one telling it. I unfortunately fell sometimes "cranky" (angry) and I know after reading different post, that it is normal. The garden is growing at the house of my parents, now my house. I hope my mom sees, wherever she is, the beautiful lilies, black/green eyes suzans,and the berries! It's a nice heritage, their long hours of work, giving me a peaceful place to stay on weekends and maybe one day to make it my own.

N.B. As a gardener, (my mom was one too) lavender has always been a relaxing smell, a healing one. I have lavender in my garden, not much, just a bit, but the smell is so soothing.

Funnyface: Thank you for letting us know about that very moving video. I emailed it to my friend who lost her Dad last year and she told me when I saw her at church on Sunday that she loved it and needed it. She said it helped her about her Dad and her Mom is also old and ill so it reminded her to have more patience with her too. Once again thank you.

• 1 month later...