Grief Healing Discussion Groups

This is all my fault

CassandraP

I am so sorry for your loss!  21 is a long life, but whenever they leave, it's never long enough.  (((hugs)))

Hoping this brings you some comfort...

• Like 2

So sorry for your loss of Lizzie.I can tell she had a great long life with so much love .21 years is amazing time you spent together and treasure that and don’t think your weren’t there for her when she passed no one can know when it is time and you can’t be around all the time.She knows you were with her her whole life and loved her so much that is what matters.She will be at the rainbow bridge waiting for you wagging her tail when you meet again.

• Like 3

I agree with JayJay, but I know that doesn't change your feeling as you do.  This is just one of the toughest things to get through.  No matter how it goes down, we seem to be masters at beating ourselves up in our grief, it's a process letting go of that.
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CassandraP said:

I thought about taking her on vacation but she was so old she wouldn't have been able to handle it. I should've taken her

Clearly you were on the horns of a dilemma, Cassandra, and you chose to do what was best for your Lizzie. Taking her with you would have met your need to have her with you, but not doing so required you to put her needs before your own. That seems to me to be a selfless act that demonstrates the love you have for her. ♥️ 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MartyT said:

Clearly you were on the horns of a dilemma, Cassandra, and you chose to do what was best for your Lizzie. Taking her with you would have met your need to have her with you, but not doing so required you to put her needs before your own. That seems to me to be a selfless act that demonstrates the love you have for her. ♥️ 

Thank you♥️ she's my entire world

• Like 2

Cassandra - Sorry for your loss. 21 is a long life for a dog so I'm sure you took great care of her. I think it's very common to have guilt over 'not being there' but the truth is you couldn't have possibly have known when her time was up. The same thing could happen if you were running an errand or in another room watching TV.

One thing about animals and I noticed this with my cat Mango when he got real sick a few times is he wouldn't even want to lie with me. He would sit on a chair in the patio when he'd normally be in my bedroom. It actually made me feel pretty sad because I knew he wasn't feeling well and I couldn't comfort him, but animals tend to be quite reclusive when they are sick or dying. Instinct I guess, but the point I'm trying to make is being there at the end might not be as much of a comfort as it might to a human and it certainly didn't negate the 21 great years you had with her.

Regards,

Gregg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cassandra, I’m so sorry to hear about Lizzie. There was no way that you could know. If you had taken her, and she wasn’t feeling well, that would’ve been more stress for her. As Marty said, you put her needs first. You gave her an awesome long life, dear. It’s obvious you filled her life with love. We are here for you.

• Like 1

Dear Cassandra,

Please be assured that guilt is a part of grieving. I didn’t remember that but I learned it the hard way. It only took hours after my girl passed, that the guilty feelings came on strong and relentless. Here is one article that Marty has shared before, about guilt.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

• Like 3