Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Grandma Died This Morning

hello i need some 1 to talk to my grandma died this morning at 3.10 after a very short illness she came to my daughters 18th birthday party 8 weeks ago and she was fit as a fiddle i cant belive it im stunned i went to see her yesterday in hospital and she was very poorley. im gonna miss her every day she was like my 2nd mum i was always at her house and so was my children im sorry for going on but i dont know what to do. thankyou xx

Hi Andrea,

I am very sorry to hear about your Grandma...

I haven't been here for quite some time so I went back and read all of your posts...

I can't imagine how horrible things must seem for you... I read that you have gone through 3 major losses in your life and no wonder you are having a hard time...

Have you gone through counselling for the other previous losses? I imagine I would be numb if I were you....

I guess my advice would be to start back at the beginning of dealing with each individual loss that has happened. MartyT is wonderful at helping and being supportive try messaging her. She has a wonderful web site with some great suggestions of where to begin your healing journey...

Keep coming back, as you know everyone here is so wonderful and supportive.

We are all here to help you through this terrible time.

Take care, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrea,

It is so hard to lose someone, and when it is unexpected and sudden, it adds a whole other dimension to it. I am so sorry about your grandmother. Feeling shocked and numb, of course, is normal. I guess the only "comfort" is that they didn't have a long, drawn out, pain filled illness. I think about that with my dad. Doesn't help much, but a little.

Hugs to you,

Shell

• 3 weeks later...

hello i need some 1 to talk to my grandma died this morning at 3.10 after a very short illness she came to my daughters 18th birthday party 8 weeks ago and she was fit as a fiddle i cant belive it im stunned i went to see her yesterday in hospital and she was very poorley. im gonna miss her every day she was like my 2nd mum i was always at her house and so was my children im sorry for going on but i dont know what to do. thankyou xx

I can remember that feeling.The rug goes out from under your feet,all the horror comes rushing at you.Its the day you dread and when it happens its awful.Thinking of you and also remembering my grandma.

Andrea,

I am so sorry you lost your grandmother! You don't know what to do right now, especially since it's so sudden. You will get your feet back under you eventually, but don't expect too much out of yourself right now.

It's tough, but you have friends here who know where you are and care about you and your journey through this loss.

BIG hugs!

Martha

Hi, Andrea:

Please accept my condolences from the bottom of my heart. My Dad passed away suddenly this past June after appearing to make a remarkable recovery from a stroke. I was positively numb for about a month....all I had the energy to do all day long was to sit in his rocking chair and just rock. A second blood clot formed and went to his heart, causing his death. A first blood clot had caused his stroke. If he had had a second stroke, he might not have come out of it as well as the first. So at least he didn't suffer. It's as Shell said, that does help some (but not a lot). Just be gentle on yourself and take one day at a time....one moment at a time if you have to. You've been through a lot. And keep talking to us..that helps, too.

Wishing you comfort and peace,

Leann

Hi, I underatnd your feeling, my Mom just died last Friday. I still can't get used to it. She was only 76. My grandmother passed 4 years ago, and I hadn't even gotten to come to terms with that yet. We all thought my Mom would live to be much older. She got a bad diagnosis late September, and she had been fine till then. She made it through Thanksgiving, and never got out of bed again. Its horrible. I am here trying to find some reason for this hell we are going through. I try to find some faith in her maybe being in a better place, but its so hard to know for sure, for me. I am at a loss all the time, so I have no advice, just to let you know you are not alone.

Sandra

Andrea,

I'm sorry for your loss and I can understand what you're feeling. I'm still in shock over my father's death from a stroke. Other than his high blood pressure and some depression issues, he appeared at 82 to be reasonably healthy for his age. I last saw him a week and a half before, and then just like that he was gone. Intellectually, I knew that sooner or later I was going to face up to the day something happened to him. For the last 13 years starting when he turned 70, I worried about him, yet when it finally did happen I was caught offguard. Nothing can ever prepare you for the moment. The doctors told me and my mom that he at least didn't feel any pain.

Everyone around me has told me it will take time. I have friends who have lost a parent, so they have counseled me through what they've gone through. Don't ever let anyone tell you about a set timetable to get over your loss. You grieve at your own pace. It's been over a month since my dad died, and although I do not grieve 24 hours a day, I breakdown everytime I go home to visit my mom, especially when I see things that belonged to my dad. What you're feeling right now is completely normal. As each day passes, hopefully things get a bit better, but there's no rush. As others have said, take things a day at a time.

Jeff

Edited by jc1030