Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Not Working

My doc put me on this "Lexapro" medication about three weeks ago for depression, but it isn’t working. I don't feel any difference at all. In fact I feel worse. I haven’t spoken in weeks. Is this just because of the holidays or what? What should I do? I'm starting to lose hope, and as Shakespeare said, "The miserable have no other medicine but hope."

Some anti-depressants take 3 or 4 weeks to start to get traction, but if you don't feel relief soon you should let your doc know and see if he's capable of intelligently adjusting your prescription or if he just increases the dose of what you already have (that might be the right approach too, but from what I've heard, only if you're getting *some* benefit already).

If he's a general practitioner he may know little about anti-depressants but what the pretty sales reps from the pharmaceutical companies tell him. You may be better off with someone trained in psychiatry. I have a son in law who ended up on a delicately balanced cocktail of 5 meds after months of experimentation, but it was worth the effort because he's totally a different person and much more functional after a lifetime of problems with depression.

On the other side of the coin, if I recall correctly you are quite young, and I don't know that anti-depressants are a good strategy for you other than short-term, getting you over the hump kinds of applications, unless you also have had a lifelong problem with depression. Some anti depressants are very difficult to get off of once you've been on them awhile, too.

There are many over the counter things that you can take to improve your overall brain function and energy levels. Some of those are safer for long term use. My son does very well on Sam-e, for example, after having side effect problems with several prescription anti-depressants.

Last but not least, don't overlook the value of talk therapy and similar approaches that might help you get "un-stuck" in your grief so that you wouldn't be as depressed in the first place. We talk alot here about letting grief run its natural course with you and not rushing it, and that's legitimate, but there is also a legitimate sense in which you can get "stuck" in a vicious cycle that can greatly lengthen or even perpetuate your grief.

--Bob

My doc put me on this "Lexapro" medication about three weeks ago for depression, but it isn’t working. I don't feel any difference at all. In fact I feel worse. I haven’t spoken in weeks. Is this just because of the holidays or what? What should I do? I'm starting to lose hope, and as Shakespeare said, "The miserable have no other medicine but hope."

Hi Christian,

Bob makes some excellent points. It's important when you're on any prescribed medication to work closely with your doctor to make sure you're on the right dosage and getting the expected results ~ and, as Bob said, it takes a while for your body to adjust to and respond to any antidepressant medication. Antidepressants also have side effects that you can discuss with your doctor. If this one isn't working for you, there are others that your doctor can try with you. Other factors come into play as well, such as the time of day when you take the medication, and whether you're combining it with any other medication you may be taking. Be very careful to avoid alcohol, since it can also affect how well your medication works.

Bob also mentions talk therapy. You told us a while ago that you planned to meet with a grief counselor. Have you followed through with that, and if so, how's it going? Have you contacted Marcus yet?

There are many things you can do to process and manage your grief, Christian, and I think you know by now that by itself, taking antidepressant medication is not enough. We haven't heard from you in quite a while. How are other things in your life going for you now?

Christian,

I've been wondering about you lately, too. The advice from Marty and Bob is very good. How is your sister and grandparents and I, too, am wondering if you made contact with Marcus. The holidays are hard times for many of us. Try and just take it a day at a time. Let us know how you're doing. We care.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Christian,

I am so glad you posted. I think a lot of us have been worrying about you! I take Lexapro, but was also put on Clonazepam at the same time and luckily, for me, it worked right away. But I think the Clonazepam (an anti-anxiety drug) helped a lot. I now only take 1mg of it at night before bed and it helps me sleep. I take 10mg of the Lexapro once a day. I got started on these for anxiety attacks more than depression, so it's hard for me to judge the depression part. I still get depressed, but I do believe not nearly as harshly as if I wasn't taking them. But everybody reacts differently to drugs, so you may need a different kind. Please follow up with your doctor on this. Eventually he/she should be able to get it right, so to speak! If not, get another doctor.

Bob did make some great points and especially about getting stuck and needing help to get unstuck. So talking to someone in addition to your meds might help a great deal. Take care and keep us posted.

Big hug,

Shell

Christian,

I've also mentioned SAMe several times here (and the studies that have supported its effectiveness and safety, not to mention lesser cost), have used it myself and found it to be of help (plus it's easy to self-regulate the dose). I'm not sure of your age, but if you're young, antidepressants may carry increased risks as well, some of which include increased risk of suicide, which might explain your feeling "worse." As just one example of what I've learned over the years about the differences between prescription antidepressants and SAMe, please see this article - SAMe report, only one of many such reports.

I also wanted to add that, especially given that you feel averse to talking of late, you may wish to try other, newer forms of therapy instead, like Thought Field Therapy (which someone has told me helped her immensely after suffering several shocking, life-changing events/griefs in a short span of time), Bodytalk or the SRT therapy I'm currently trying and which you can also learn to 'take with you' for self use, rather than having to keep paying someone, and keep paying them, and keep paying them...

This last method doesn't require much talking at all and in fact, reliving too much of what's upsetting isn't even encouraged. Instead, it's designed to lessen the 'grooves' in the neural pathways in one's brain that have been formed and deepened by reliving various traumas, allowing them to release their 'hold' on and in the body. Trauma is stored in our very cells, and SRT 'discharges' this from the cells (scientifically proven). So far, I've found it to be very easy, relaxing and seemingly quite effective. I suffered a new, extremely upsetting trauma just this week, and after just one SRT session yesterday (where we dealt with a total of 3 upsets (both general and specific in nature), I actually came home feeling MUCH better about ALL of them. In contrast to basic talk therapies (cognitive & other), which I've also used several times, my opinion so far is that SRT works better and far faster. It is helping me to regain a bit of that hope you spoke of (I've only gone 3x's so far), which has been sorely lacking so far in this latest grief journey.

Public polls and studies have already shown that combining some form of therapy with pharmaceutical antidepressant use is more effective for most people that using just one or the other, but the choice of therapy is always up to the individual, as is the form of biochemical help.

The fact that you did come back here to 'talk' about what's bothering you is a good sign, though, as reaching out is often one of the biggest hurdles to overcome, so this shows you've still got some 'fight' in you and that can help you heal, even if it's a long, slow climb.

Edited by Maylissa

I should add that one's mileage may vary with Sam-e or any other supplement or med. Sam-e for example requires healthy enzyme cycles operating correctly in your body for the processing of sulphur compounds in order to be metabolized and benefited from. In order for Sam-e to not lose potency passing through your stomach acids, it is also made with an enteric coating which sensitive individuals may have difficulty with. Like anything else, if it makes you feel worse, or you react atypically, don't keep taking it just because it's "supposed" to work.

Also, while I agree with Maylissa to a point, I'd like to point out that (1) over the counter (OTC) meds and supplements aren't necessarily safer for a particular individual than prescription meds and (2) they can interact with other OTC or prescription items you may take, and/or you can be allergic or sensitive to them. Lastly (3) Sam-e is not cheap and if you have good prescription insurance you maybe find that a month's supply of Lexapro costs $5 to $25 whereas a 30 day supply of Sam-e could easily be $60 or more. While it's not wise to make such decisions purely on a cost basis, it is something to factor in, particularly if you are on a modest budget.

As a final note do not stop Lexapro, and either replace it or mix it with Sam-e without consulting your doctor. Some anti depressants should not simply be stopped, but the dosage should be titrated gradually. Some people even have to go to a compounding pharmacy for odd dosages to manage their withdrawal gradually enough.

--Bob

Christian,

There is great advice here, perhaps you didn't know I am bipolar, and my experience is this: often times it takes 2-3 different combinations of meds to even out depression, also keeping the "highs" in check, how ever good it may feel it is bad, a psychiatrist is much more experienced with the problem you are having.

Bob,

I see a pretty lady always walking in my doctors office with a suitcase LOL a good selling factor LOL

How are you doing there, William. I live at the top of a hill, I do have a '99 Explorer Sport, but I'm a real chicken and IT'S SNOWING THIS STUFF CALLED YUKKKK! Looks funny seeing my big black Sadie Mae out there with white spots all over her. She acts like such a black seal plowing through this YUK! I hope you have a very peaceful evening. I've had some soup in the crockpot for 2 days, a green salad, some smoked salmon on the side and a garlic and Parmesan roll. Sound good? See ya later, my friend.

Love, Karen :wub:;)

Karen,

I am doing ok, you are all set up for the snow, the SUV and warm food :wub:

Sadie sounds like a kid just playing without a worry, can you send me some of that food? :ph34r: Its a relief knowing you are ok there...

Love,

William

Thanks, William...I am set up and it is pretty out. I have many evergreens in my little acre all loaded with snow. I'll go out tomorrow with Sadie...she loves it. I hope the house thing is going well...it's a big, wonderful project. I was the contractor on my house here, found the financing, had a architect friend draw up my plans, my son who lives in Kauai now framed it, I scheduled everything out, by that time my Jack helped me pass the final inspections for a C.O. Jack and I were in construction for many years, so I was lucky to know all these people and many of them did the work free gratus and only charged for the supplies, so it kept the costs down. I never could have done it otherwise, being a single woman wasn't favorable in the eyes of lenders 15 years ago. I love my home with all its memories on my little acre, kind of chalet style with beams and peaked cedar ceilings. I feel like I'm in my mountain cabin. Sorry, I'm going on a bit, but it feels good. Thanks for listening, my friend.

Love you, Karen :wub:;)

Heh. I have read more than once that a favorite place to recruit new pharmaceutical sales reps is from the ranks of college cheerleaders. I Am Not Making This Up. Aside from being gorgeous, they have the requisite social skills and are used to working in a disciplined and professional manner.

Scott Adams lampooned this wonderfully in Dilbert awhile back.

Doctor: "I'm giving you a prescription for ToxiKill even though you aren't sick. Because the drug company rep is totally hot and she promised that if I sold enough of this stuff, she'd go to dinner with me."

Dilbert: "Are there any side effects?"

Doctor: "It depends on what I eat."

--Bob

Bob,

I see a pretty lady always walking in my doctors office with a suitcase LOL a good selling factor LOL

Karen,

I did not know you were a contractor too :) is it a wonderful feeling to live in a house you guys from the specs to the roof? I picure it in my mind, all wood interior, an acre of land, wow do you grow some veggies up there too? how many SF is it? no no you not rambling, I find it very interesting learning more about you :)

Bob, boy, you are something! are you really serious?? cheerleaders? gosh the pharmacutal companies must think all the doctors think about sex all day, Pardon my french there, have you seen the heart attack grill on thomas and 44th? the gals wear nursing uniforms and white lace stockings, how they recruit them is beyond me, its a tiny place, and the traffic stops there alot LOL

Love,

William

Yes, I have a nice big veggie garden...above the ground type. That's where I do some canning from. I have a wonderful loft area where my recroom and office are with a deck. Sadie and I love it here in the loft. When Jack was here it was our bedroom with giant windows and great peaked ceilings, but since he died I turned it into an office/extra bedroom/recroom. At the point I built this I was single and had to keep costs down so it's only 1300 SF but every corner is used and I have an area over a 2-car garage that I use for storage...like an attic. I'm glad it's not big....who wants all that to take care of. My kitchen/dining and front room are all what's called a "great room." So when I have people over, not much anymore, I can cook and visit at the same time. My deck goes around 3 sides of the house with a little courtyard entry where I keep my wood carvings and plants. All my chimes that I brought back from our ocean property I sold I have in the trees in the back along with bird houses. This is fun for me to talk about my home. Thanks so much. You are such a good friend.

Karen,

Awesome a little piece of heaven there, sounds perfect for you, I was thinking it was like 1800 SF, I wish I could go there and see it, how far are you from the city? You are a dear friend to me, otherwise how are you doing?

Love,

William

I'm about 25-30 miles north of Seattle and if you're ever here, you are more than welcome. You know, I am doing fine. Over two years helps but I very much miss my husband like you do Myrna. Jack was the only person that ever made me feel whole and truly loved. My background wasn't pleasant and he did everything in the world to let me know how much he loved me and took such good care of me. That's the most special thing in this world. This time is hard for all of us, but the great thing is if we all hadn't loved each other so much, we wouldn't have ever known what that wonderful feeling is. I'm so grateful for that. I know you understand what I'm saying.

Love, Karen :wub:;)

Seattle, I kept thinking farther east :wub: I know you still have that feeling, even more since he was your biggest fan :) The feelings, I miss them too, sometimes I catch myself lately trying to "feel" it again and again with others, but I just like the camaraderie, you know I am still in Love with Myrna and all the stupid mistakes I made in the past post grief. I live in a city of 3 million people and feel so distant from society.

Love,

William

We've all made what we think of as "stupid mistakes." It's when we learn from them that matters. I don't think I'll ever have that feeling of love that I had for Jack, again, but I'm way older than you. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you and down the road I'll bet you'll find someone who will become special for different reasons. You're a handsome man and I'm sure there's lots of ladies out there that would be interested.....when the time is right, and you'll know it. At this point a "friendship" only could be fine....walking, dinner, "Sunday" drives, et cetera. Who knows...maybe that'll happen for me, too? No one compares to my Jack, though. In my mind if you keep up with the right meds, your group or contacts and just hang in there, my friend, you are going to be just great? I have faith in you, just like I have in my son.

Karen,

I feel the same way, Myrna was so unique in many ways, she didn't have the hang ups american women my age did, it be awhile, I screwed my regiment again and not good. was suppose to get calls to remind me, oh well, Guess I have to find one crazier than me. thank you for assuring me, lately I been beating myself up with the guilt and sorrow,

Love,

William

Well, you need to quit screwing yourself up...check up on those calls you're supposed to have. Is there any way I can help by sending you daily emails or whatever to help you remember? Your computer can beep you whenever an email comes through, right. I don't know, but if I can help I will. Just to let you know my Danny is doing very well. I have to look it up but his diagnosis is Residual Schitzophrenis 295.6 or somthing like that which I think is good. I'm going to check it out. William, you have to believe in yourself, do what you feel is necessary for your health. I honestly really believe in you. Please watch out for yourself.

I'm going to grab my big black lab, Sadie, and watch some dumb movie. Have a good night my friend. If you believe it or not, I believe the good Lord is watching out for you.

Its been such since march,I keep thinking I'll snap out of it, I am never late with the bills but keep forgetting this, they were supposed to call me then my case manager transferred without telling me. residual Schitzophrenia? means its in remission? or minimal symptoms? I know you have faith in me, I been so burned out the past 2 weeks, worrying about the 95K decision, the work I have to do, if I'll be able to keep up with it, one side says I can do it, and the other just doubts. I never had the choices or decisions like now. Nothing ever good on cable, right LOL, thank you for being there...

Love,

William

Karen,

Your house sound like heaven! Can I come live with you? hahahaha. Do you think Sadie would get along with 27 cats?

Hugs,

Shell

William,

What a great picture! Karen is right, you will eventually, when the time is right, find someone you can love again. And there is nothing to feel guilty about, there are so many levels of love that the next time will be different, and will not take anything away from your love of Myrna. Keep working on things and take care of yourself.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi Shell, nice to hear from you, Karen is very close to heaven :wub: I gained a few pounds since then and it drives the self esteem down. but the compliments mean alot to me, more so this time of year. 27 cats wow, I thought 24 fish in a 20 gallon and 4 hermit crabs was alot :wub:

Love,

William

William,

A few extra pounds is not going to take away from a great face!

We certainly could never get our pets together!!!! I have ten cats inside and the other 17 are my strays that I am getting fixed and taking care of. I hate that they are outside, but I cannot fit anymore in the house, that's for sure!

Hugs,

Shell

Shell, thats very kind, we are our own worst enemy right?

I don't think the fish would have a chance, I could see 10 cats stepping on each other to the top and throwing the fish out to eat. is it very cold where you are located? I recall the cats in the winter would crawl into the engine compartment to stay warm, it was worrisome starting the car up and wondering. Are the strays feral?

love,

William