Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I had just left work tonight, pulling out onto a busy street during rush hour. At the corner I was stopped for the light. When it turned green, the car opposite me made a quick turn in front of me instead of waiting. I shrugged it off. Then the car behind me swung into the turn lane, accelerated and cut in front of me, causing me to slow a split second. I thought how much of a hurry everyone was in. A second later, that car was struck from the side by someone trying to cross the street at the next corner. This was directly in front of me and I braked and turned to not hit them both.

I pulled into the side street to wait for the police and give my eye witness account along with the person that was in the truck behind me. No one was hurt and I was anxious to get home and get Mike to baseball. As I waited for the police and listened to the victims' stories, I noticed the mailbox at the yard we were standing. It was my last name, my husband's name. In the 27 years I had known him, I had never met anyone with his last name, though I had seen it a few times in different phone books. I have had near misses and never have been as calm and collected as I was through this. It was surreal. Had the two things not happened, it would have been me that was hit. I have no doubt of that. He was there..the writing was on the mailbox.

Kath,

I had a similar experience and I, too, felt protected. On my trip out West, I was in the heart of Nashville in blinding rain - so much so - that I wanted to pull off of I-40, but I couldn't even see the signs for off ramps. I finally just took one. I drove across the bridge over I-40 where I had taken the off ramp and about 100 yards (where I would've been seconds later) there was a multi-car pile-up. I had my husbands ashes in the front seat of the car with me the whole trip. I stopped at a convenience store to try and wait the rain out (no luck) and Rascal and I steamed up the car while the engine was off. My husband's hand print appeared on the windshield. (No I hadn't washed the car in several months - still haven't).

Kath,

I am so glad you are okay. We rejoice with you...it seems too much to be "coincidence"! :rolleyes:

I am so happy that you all "get it." When I try to explain to people that haven't been through a loss and how heartwarming it is to feel my husband's presence, they look at me like I'm delirious.

Mel, thanks for sharing your story. I don't think I would ever wash my car again either if I had your experience. He was there, doing what husbands do so very well, protecting, ushering, calming, taking charge.

God how I miss those strong arms around me!

Kath,

I don't believe in coincidences. How wonderful it is to know they are here with us still.

"I am so happy that you all "get it." When I try to explain to people that haven't been through a loss and how heartwarming it is to feel my husband's presence, they look at me like I'm delirious."

I could not agree more!

Hugs

Phyllis

thought I'd add my own little story to this. A few days after Cliff died, I had to open my car bonnet, our safe and the front door (obviously). Well, for the 12 months before he died, I had struggled to open all three things, and for the two weeks after he died, I managed to open them all with ease ... very strange. I remember feeling that he was near me and helping me.