Grief Healing Discussion Groups

When There Are No Thanks To Be Given

I just had to share this blog post I read today, because even though most of us are DREADING Thanksgiving (in the States and Canada), Christmas and New Year's Eve, this really gave me some comfort, some hope ... that one day, we might be able to celebrate the holidays instead of wishing they weren't coming around the corner at us.

I hope it gives you the same shimmer of light in the darkness, all of you.

http://widowsvoice-sslf.blogspot.com/2009/11/when-there-are-no-thanks-to-be-given.html

Boo

xx

Hi Boo:

Thank you so much for sharing that story with all of us. When I was reading Candice's story, I thought how true. That's how I feel this Thanksgiving and Christmas. This will be my second year spending the holidays without Alex. I could really relate to Candice when she said that not even a mention of her husband at the holidays. Last year I spent it with my girlfriend and her family in Florida. The week I spent with them was really nice, but the actual holiday was very depressing for me. I just felt so out of place. This year I was invited by a few friends for Thanksgiving, but I really feel like being alone.

My friends all feel, and this is my impression, that just blopping me at someones house and have dinner is going to make everything OK for me. I guess they don't know that after you eat, talk, laugh and whatever, you are still alone. The situation doesn't change. In fact, to me it makes it worse. Right now I just rather do something else than sit at a table with a bunch of people and making believe that I am having a good time. I do not begrudge any of my family and friends of this happy time, but for me it is just hard.

Thank you again Boo for sharing.

Love and God Bless

Jeanne

wub.gif thanks for all those replies, and I'm glad you all felt the same way I did about the blog post ... although I wish you didn't have to ...

I am thankful for having found you all here (Marty thank you that was a lovely thing to say) and I am also thankful that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK - because it's one less holiday to get through sad.gif

Christmas IS going to be hard. I am going to visit friends and family, but sleeping at home. And on New Year's Eve I'm going to be talking to some widows by phone, because I just feel like I need that connection ... next year I might be able to stand there and kiss everyone but not this year.

xx

Great blog, Boo. I especially loved the line, "We’ve all heard the litany of blessings for which we should, in our widowed state, bend over backwards and kiss the heavens."

Korina

Thanks for sharing that. I thought after a year I would be doing good, but now I won't be disappointed if I find I still have trouble with things. Strange, I think the holidays are starting to make me feel the loneliness I would eventually get after awhile. So far it's been just missing him and grief, but now I don't have anyone to share those special days with at my house. The cats and the ferrets try, but it's just not the same.

PK

Boo,

Thank you, you are a very special person and I am very appreciative for all your posts and the hard work you put in to your journey. I have been blessed many many times by that work and hope you receive so many blessings back.

Thank you so much for that post and all your posts.

laurie

Furkid, the special days for me are always the hardest. I still get upset when it's my parents birthdays and I lost them 14 years and 16 years ago. I wouldn't be without my dogs, in fact I think that every widow/er should have one!!! But you're right it's not the same :-(