Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Memory Tree

Today I had sometime alone and thought about the Chritmas Holiday that is quickly approaching. My son has asked that we have our annual Xmas eve drop-in. So to honor his feelings I agreed. The first step for me was to take our Xmas tree and do a total makeover as to how I usually decorate it. With left over clothes from Dean's things, I made a few bows all in blue. Went and got beautiful frosty light blue ribbon lined with silver, tiny silver balls, tiny silver beaded garland, the words Faith, Peace, and Hope in silver and a very small silver star. There is a cross in light blue that has the words on it as well. Got white clear lights and it is for this year our Memory tree. It looks beautiful. Above it my niece and I hung a cross stitched gift I received that says (in blue) "When someone you love becomes a memory the memory becomes a treasure," Next to it is Dean's Bible on a stand and a place for me to light the candle in his memory Xmas Eve. I shall invite my guests to feel welcome to write a memory about my husband and place it on the tree as well with either blue or silver ribbon. Can't tell you how much peace and love I felt doing that. This was his favorite time of the year and it helped me cope, and remember our life together as husband and wife. Just felt really good to honor his memory and his life. Sure do miss him. Once again, you all are so understanding and its so wonderful to walk through this journey with others. Blessings. Debbie

Debbie:

It sounds so wonderful and beautiful - the tears rolled down my face reading your post (in a good way). I may take some inspiration from your idea for our Christmas. Thank you!

Korina

we are doing a memory tree this year. we are having everything about scott on the tree. his hat, sun glasses, headphones that he walked around listening too, his favorite color ornaments, and garland. It is the ONLY way i can even handle getting a tree or putting up any decorations at all.

laurie

Debbie,

Your ideas are such a wonderful way to honor Dean. I love the idea of the candle, the Bible, and encouraging people to include their own memories. I hadn't really given much thought to decorating for Christmas. My cats would destroy a tree but I think I might create a tribute to Brian either on the mantle or on the top of our entertainment center. Maybe it will help me to get through the difficult days that loom ahead. Thanks so much for sharing your tribute and for giving me some thoughts and ideas.

Peace, love, and blessings,

Linda

Debbie,

I love the idea of friends writing their memories. In the past I've had a very large wreath that is the focal point of my living room. I've decorated it all with Bob's favorite things. Your tree sounds so lovely and peaceful. Thank you for inspiring me even more.

I had the kids set up our (fake) tree and decorate it. I didn't even stay and supervise this year. I left it to them and was very relieved at how far they got. The few ornaments I touched or hung brought tears. There are 27 years worth of Christmas memories on that tree. I will always miss him.

Kath

Hi Kath,

How difficult for you to even touch the tree that meant 27 years of love and devotion...I love your posts...thanks for being a big part of this family with your encouraging words and help for the broken hearted....Bless you, Rochel