Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Has Anyone Gone To A Medium?

I read the Patrick Mathews book suggested on this forum and found comfort in it-- and am considering scheduling a phone reading with him. It isn't really cheap -- $225 -- but not impossible to save for and do.... Has anyone else used one? Any experienced forum advice?

Hi Anthony,

Under usual circumstances, being a practising Catholic, that I would never have even considered for one second going to a medium. I was told by family members I trusted that there was one in particular who gives a Postcards from Heaven "show" and I realized for myself just how she works. In my faith, it is not condoned but I have decided after the few experiences that I believe (for myself) that Maureen is a regular person who is a Christian, kindhearted, very funny, she is a person who has a heart of gold, she is considered a 'comedienne medium' and she does wonderful work for children with cancer and prays over them and when the need arises she transitions them to the next life. I witnessed firsthand how she has spoken (with her gift that was confirmed after she was in a horrible car accident some years ago in which every bone in her face was broken but the surgeons couldn't figure out that she didn't need any work done and she is still as attractive as before the accident happened. She has pictures and everything can be verified upon research. She told things about my husband that no one would know, (she advises everyone that she gets messages, but each person has to figure out what each message means to the individual.) I was told that Danny wanted to thank me for everything I had done for him to take care of him when he was with me, she said he was a private person and said I was everything to him, she said that he wants me to live my life because it's not my time yet, (I have been very understandably depressed and did not want to live without him,) she knew other things about the others who went there with me who were skeptical but became believers in her gift. She said to a few others in the room filled with people that their spouse wanted them to find someone else to love, but to me she said there are some and I am one of them that can only love one person in their lifetime and Dan was with me for 39 years, so this was a personal affirmation to me. She said much to all the others, she never gives psychic readings for the patrons' future, and never says anything bad to anyone, but she could tell some that their loved one died from hanging and they have admitted she was correct. This person would be the only one that I trust and consider a friend, she answered my emails as she did for everyone who contacts her it seems. She has 3 "shows" a week and according to the location and how many people can be seated and if appetizers are served it can be $40, $50 or $60 and some "shows" she donates all the proceeds to a non-profit center who takes care of cancer patients. I have never met anyone like her and she has helped people in the thousands. She always lets everyone who goes know that with that many people you can't be guaranteed a reading but you always feel better when you leave because she has a grace about her and demonstration that involves everyone. At the end of every "show" she always says our loved ones are not dead, they are just different. Obviously I have had a very positive experience every time I went. During the day she also does work for the police in finding lost loved ones, and supporting the grieving, and using healing techniques. In my opinion she would be the only 'medium' I trust explicitly. I hope you have a good experience, but I must tell you in my opinion I wouldn't pay that much to anyone regardless, but I don't mean to judge you, I just wouldn't feel right about not saying anything. This person I mentioned has had no person that I know of say anything negative about her, and she has a perfectly normal life with her family but since she has made this her life's work, she charges only for her shows, she is writing a book, and is making plans for a TV show. She had to stop doing private readings because this, her life's work, takes her traveling and having to come back to her children and husband, so she made priorities for what's most important to her. I still don't feel my husband with me, but intellectually I really do "know" he is guiding and watching over me. Yet, it doesn't stop the tears, but I have found hope and the answers in my quest to 'know' he will always be a part of me. She is that good. I also know I will never get over my grief, but going to grief meetings, counseling, and Hospice widow meetings has helped me tremendously to realize we can manage the grief better when we are ready and also the bereavement counselors where I go have much patience and compassion for those who have lossed a loved one. Good luck.

God bless,

Suzanne

I read the Patrick Mathews book suggested on this forum and found comfort in it-- and am considering scheduling a phone reading with him. It isn't really cheap -- $225 -- but not impossible to save for and do.... Has anyone else used one? Any experienced forum advice?

Dear Anthony,

Each person is different. It is up to you if you feel you would like to contact a Medium or not. I can honestly say that a Medium has brought me comfort. That is just my two cents. Yes, it is true that you don't need a Medium to make contact with a loved one. You can make contact yourself with dreams, meditation and signs our loved ones send us. However, when I went to a Medium I got more information than just the signs that I would receive. I was able to tape record the session and listen to the tape whenever I wanted. The Medium told me things that only my Dad would know.

This is something you will need to think about and decide what is right for you.

Wishing you all the very best in whatever you decide to do.

Butterfly9

I went to see a medium shortly after my uncle died a horrible death from Alzheimer's. This is not why I went, but the medium, who is attuned to how negative entities (energy) attach to our souls and can cause a lot of negative emotional and physical symptoms felt is necessary to remove this bad energy. We did a clearing exercise. When I think of my uncle now, it is about the nice few days we spent together in his later life. This woman charged me about $100 and was really sensitive to being respectful of the energies she was contacting. This is never a dog and pony show, and there is always the possibility that maybe the deceased does not want contact.

My mother contacted me in various ways shortly after she left this planet, but after a few weeks, I really sensed that she was somewhere else and not accessible in the same way. I think there is always the question to ask: does this person want contact, and would it cause undue burden to them, do the deceased want to be solving your problems on earth? If she wants to contact me again, she will. There's no negative energy surrounding my mother and she left this planet peacefully. But maybe its different than someone who lived with a lot of negativity, was not really ready to leave this planet, had a horrible death and left here with many unresolved issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted a medium after my father died and it helped me tremendously. I was very skeptical and nervous about it, not because I do not believe in it, but because its hard to find an authentic medium. I know there is a huge stigma about mediums, that it is going against God’s will and it is fake, but in my situation, I looked at it the following way. I had always been very interested in mediums growing up and I always wanted a reading eventually. I figured, what better time than now? Either I will spend the money and she will be fake, and I’ll know once and for all that I can let that hope go, or she will be real and it will bring me great comfort.

I admire all of the people that never let go of their faith in God and the afterlife when faced with the challenge of losing their parent, but I was not one of those people. I was (am) devastated and I was very angry. My father’s death was horrible and I was angry that my young father had to deal with such a horrible sickness. I was angry at God, whether or not he was there to know it, and most importantly, I was so afraid. I was terrified that I would never get the chance to see my father again. I have learned that there is nothing scarier in life than living with no faith or living your life in question. This is why I went to the medium. This was MY way of figuring it all out.

I went to Denise Lescano in Florida, who is even more expensive than the medium you are researching. Although there are things she said that I cannot figure out, a majority of the reading was right on the money and brought me a great deal of healing. No, it is NOT a quick fix to the grief process… I don’t miss my dad any less. I also fear that I was researched, because I am paranoid like that and who knows what you can find on the internet. In my heart, I don’t think I was researched, because I feel that some more “obvious” facts would have been brought into the reading, and there were things she said that only my dad would have known. Not to mention she brought 3 other people through who weren’t even always related to me, but I knew exactly who they were and it was great to hear from them.

I personally do not feel that it is against my religious faith to do these readings, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This was the boost I needed to restore my faith during a very, very dark time in my life. I am getting another reading done in march with someone else. I am also planning on using a fake name and everything just to prove it to myself once and for all that it is real. I suggest you do the same, and good mediums even encourage you to do that.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier that I did the reading and plan to continue doing them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bleu-Berry,

It sure seems like you went to your medium for all the right reasons. Losing my mother has not made me question my faith, but I can understand the anger that others may feel. Sounds like you find a very good, reputable medium as well and that this has been of great value.

Maybe part of the value of spending time with a medium is "knowing" our parent is are still there. Shortly after my mother passed on in October, I was sitting at a computer in my friend's house playing a game, and there was this big big wave of love that permeated me. I think that was my mother's way of saying I am still here a, I love you, and I am OK. I will never forget that experience. No, it does not heal all of the grief, but it helps.