Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Moments Of Panic?

Does anyone else get sudden episodes or moments of panic or intense anxiety? I can be going about my business, then suddenly everything floods back to me - and I feel seized by this intense panic. It's this "Oh my god, he's gone. I'm a widow. How am I going to manage this?" feeling.

It can last for anything from ten minutes to a couple of hours. The fact that it's unpredictable makes life even more difficult - especially when I'm at work. How do people deal with this - if anyone experiences it at all.

Melina

Melina:

Yes I too have experienced this. I will be going about my business and then think about him, it, the finality of it all and will get a nauseated feeling and thinking I'm going to vomit. It is unpredictable and pops up daily. I just try to stop what I'm doing and take some deep breaths and tell myself it is going to be okay. If anyone has a better idea please let us know. Just wanted you to know you are not alone and I am hoping that the anxiety will diminish in time.

Another tough one for me yesterday. The storm last week that produced the tornadoes and softball sized hail has also left me with roof damage that they are totaling out and I have a $1000.00 deductible on the insurance. One more thing that my husband did and now I am left alone to complete. I will get through it but with many tears I am sure.

Wishing you a gentle and peaceful day my dear.

Hugs,

Becky

Hi Melina,

I have also experienced these panic attacks.....with mine I feel like there is a huge weight on my chest and I just can't take a deep enough breath, I can't get enough air. I've had episodes that have lasted for many hours and I was truly convinced I was losing my mind.

After one particularly bad day I went to the Health Journeys website: http://www.healthjourneys.com/ (Carol Ann had recommended it a while back) and I found a guided imagery CD by Belleruth Naparstek that does the trick for me. She has a very soothing voice and I find myself so focused on it that I am able to calm myself down. I also use it on nights that I'm having trouble falling asleep. When Jeff first died I couldn't sleep at all. My Dr. gave me a prescription but I hated that "hangover" feeling I'd have the next day. The CD does the trick, and no side effects!

I hope you take comfort in the fact that you are not the only one to experience this and that you find something that does the trick for you.

Hugs,

Tammy

Yes, I still have periods of time when they sweep over me. I think during the grief we get overwhelmed more easily and most of us don't take good enough care of ourselves. We need more rest initially. Deep breathing is a good thing to practice, any relaxation technique will help. I have tried medicine but did not like it, do whatever works for you. Deborah

I don't know if my experience will help or not, but I too had those attacks. The racing pounding heart, shortness of breath, racing thoughts and an overwhelming desire to get back to the safety of my house. It's been over three years and I seldom experience them anymore.

I did have those feelings when I had to face situations alone for the first few times: the hail damaged roof, the plumbing backed up, the hot water heater having to be replaced, dealing with estate issues, new tires for the car, selling the house, moving and purchasing a new house, etc.

Even when Dick's health was declining or when he was in the hospital on the ventilator, we could talk about what needed to be done. Having to deal with all life issues by myself was so hard.

Three years later, I can do those things without anything more than normal concern. I have been there, done that. I know I can do it, I have done it. Do I enjoy it...NO. Do I still wish Dick was here to talk it over with and share the burden.....YES. Now I think about how pleased he would be that I can handle life in general. That is a good feeling for me.

Hang in there and fight the fight daily. You will get through it and feel good about yourself.

Anne

Yep........ panic, anger, frustration, aggravation, the list goes on ...........

Your not alone.

Especially since I spend most of my time like others in here, looking for a job. Or to be honest about it, try and look most of the day for a job. It is getting very discouraging and hard to remain focused on even though this is the most important thing I need to be doing. My cousin has me trying to branch out into the medical field, I have no medical training but she has found positions at Aetna were she works that are admin or customer service related that she thinks I have a shot at. My sister in law works at HOV and I even applied for a couple of those positions.

But then if it keeps going the way it is, selling slushies at 7-11 is starting to look good :D

Speaking of the emotions listed above, I just pulled out my file with all of my unemployment paper work in it. It is getting close to the time when it will run out and I need to see when that is and what I can do about getting it continued.

Yes, Melina, I have GAD so am subject to anxiety attacks, that's why I'm on medication. I researched it and found Buspirone (or Buspar) to be safe and non-addictive. My doctor was going to put me on Valium and I told him no, I wanted this instead. I'm so glad I did, it's inexpensive and it doesn't make me sleepy, and it doesn't make me like a zombie. It just makes me more normal and takes some of the edge off. I imagine I'll be on it the rest of my life and that's okay by me...I'm sure my kids appreciate it too! :)

Yes, Melina. I can't call it panic but I do feel anxious and agitated from time to time. It also comes on quickly. I first try to get in touch with what is going on. Sometimes that works. I distract myself with our dog, calling someone, tv, pc, etc. I find I can not use meditation at a time like that as I can't settle down. It focuses on the reality of my loss all the way to worry about the future with finances. If I live a long time, I am in a bit of trouble and then try to just let go and trust. My stomach gets in a knot, my legs get sort of a restless leg syndrome deal. I think we are all so vulnerable that it does not take much to trip off anxiety. mfh

Yes, I have suffered panic attacks for years... and have Xanax to help me through the tough ones.... but I am aware of the dangers they present and so for the past 8 years or so, I have kept my intake to a minimum... however since my husband passed, the attacks are back with more frequency and intensities... and they come out of nowhere...so I take 1/4 mg in the am, and 1/4 in the pm, and so far that keeps them at bay... I just wish it would stop by crying episodes...

I hope you all can find a way to keep those episodes at bay...

Dear Melina,

I certainly resonate with panic and used to suffer horribly with panic attacks and now they are few and far between.

It is helpful to eliminate stimulants such as simple sugars, caffeine, and nicotine as they increase the heart rate and the blood pressure and can trigger a panic attack just on their own.

The other thing that I personally found most helpful was to learn how to breathe. I was a shallow breather which was not helpful for me at all. The best air exchange happens at the the lower two lobes of our lungs; and if we tend to hold our breath or breath to shallow then this is not occuring. Every morning and every night I recline back in my chair and place my hands on my belly and breathe in deeply so I see my belly raising my hands. Slow deep breaths and on the inhale I tell myself I am breathing in goodness and calm and on the exhale I tell myself I am breathing out the fear and doubts.

The other thing that I find helpful is to think on the five senses when I feel panic as helps me to stay present and in the moment. What do I hear? What can I see? What can I touch? What can I smell? and What can I taste? I find that when I take time to think on answering these five questions while feeling panic coming on: it more times than not will stop the panic from developing into a full blown panic attack.

The other thing in my arsenal against panic is my nebulizer that I absolutely love and has the added bonus of calming my Cheekeh (my cat) when he becomes frightened by thunder and lightening or other loud noises. I use a combination of essential oils 4 drops lavendar and one drop of Neroli. I am a huge believer in aromatherapy as I have personally seen it help to transform my anxiety and panic and the benefit I see in the animals that I help rehibilitate who have been traumatized by the hands of humans. I also used a blend of lavendar essential and neroli body lotion daily after my shower.

I hope you find your niche Melina to ease your anxiety and panic.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

Carol Ann,

Thank you for these helpful suggestions, I'll have to try the breathing exercise. The other suggestion you had of using all of your senses is a good one because when you are using all of your senses, you are staying in the present. It is when we are in the past we invited guilt and in the future we invite anxiety, so if we can stay in the present we are more likely to fully experience life the way we are intended. The past is to learn from and the future to plan for but beyond that, we should not give up today for anything.