Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Finding That Special Someone,

Finding that special someone,

When Pauline and I found each other, first we were best of friends. Then we started spending all our time together. We had really found each others soul mate. The one of a kind of love. We started living together August 13, 1978. We married September 5 1980. After a while we became so close I would know what she was thinking and she would know what I was thinking. Then it was in 1996 I came home from work, at that time I was working around 45 hours a week. Pauline was doing ok with the MS. Pauline told me to sit on the bed and keep my eyes closed. I knew what was about to happen. You see around 21 years early I had lost my class ring. I would take it off and put in my pocket when I went to work. One morning in 1975 we had a big snow storm about 2-3 feet of snow. I lived about 1/2 mile from work. I worked for the Park county road & bridge Dept. I walked to work around 4 am, and opened the main road by the shop and down to were the school bus turned around. After a long day at work I got home and I did not have my ring. My pocket had a hole. I thought it was gone for ever. When the county cleaned the truck out to sell it off a man found my ring wedged in the seat. This man took it home and put it on a shelve where it stayed for years. He got married and his wife saw the ring. She asked him about it, and he told her how he found it. She said they should try to get it back to the owner. So off to Platte Canyon high school she went. She for out it was mine by the initials in the ring. Then she found my brother who live's in the Denver area. He called Pauline when he knew I would be at work. He sent it to her. When she told me to sit on the bed I knew what she had. I almost said it to her, but I did not want to spoil it for her. Sure enough when Pauline told me to open my eyes, there it was my class ring. She took a picture right as I saw the ring. I had the biggest smile you ever saw. I told her the next day I knew what she had, she replied I know. Because we never or ever would keep secrets. It is times like that I hold so tight onto. I know I will never find another Pauline.

Have any of you had a similar moment in your life with the loved ones you all have lost? I hope so because that is true love. Your soul mate. No one will every be able to replace, We may in time find another to journey with but it will be different.

God Bless all of you and my we all find peace someday

Dwayne

We are fortunate to have found our sole mate. He told me that we were going to be married someday on our first date. I thought he was ridiculous. We were married 32 years. There are so many of those special memories of doing little things for each other and really enjoying doing them. I miss all of the little things. Cooking meals for him, doing laundry, flying over the Grand Canyon, boating, motorcycling, golfing or sitting together and doing nothing. I miss him so much there are no words to express it. We have to keep those special memories and hold them close. I can't imagine life ever being as interesting as it was with my husband. He was a wonderful, very special soul. He had the biggest smile and laugh and an even bigger heart. My journey feels alone and lonely and I can't see that changing. There is no one that knew me like he did, who I really was. Now I don't even know who I am.

I hope we all find peace and a purpose. It's Friday and the weekend is coming up, I remember when I looked forward to the weekend and plans. Now I look forward to getting through it. It's hard without my special someone. May we all get through long days and find some enjoyment.

Pat

I did find that special someone and he made my life complete. We knew what the other was going to say before they said it. If we were going out to eat but didn't know where, he would always ask me where do you want to go and I would ask him the same and it never failed we would always pick the same place or know what place the other one was thinking. I miss that, I miss his laugh, his smile and his silently sitting on the couch with the dog watching television. Many times we would be in different rooms of the house but I knew he was there. Why is it so different now? I know he is still with me, just in spirit. Maybe the finality that I will never see him, touch him, smell him or hear him. If only one more time with him.....

Becky

Dwayne, What a beautiful story. It made me teary! :) What love.

Dick and I were married 39 years. We met when my father got orders to Vietnam and he and my mother rented the house across the street from Dick's parents in Salina, Kansas. I came home from college to stay with my mother for the summer, Dick was taking a year off college to earn money for college. We met and did not care at all for each other. In my humble opinion, he was a very tall, skinny farmer looking boy and he was rude to me. However, he did have this really hot car. It was a 1967 Oldsmobile 442 Muscle Car, air injected, chiffon yellow with thin red rimmed tires and just flat cool! (We still have the car.)

Long story short, after dating for two weeks, he asked me to marry him and a year later we were married. He was absolutely the love of my life and my gift from God.

Dick and I had to accept the fact that we could not have children, so we made application for adoption. He told me he would get me a bentwood rocking chair when we got the baby. After 4 1/2 years of waiting, we had given up the hope of getting a child. We had decided to just be a great aunt and uncle and go on with our lives. It was heartbreaking for both of us.

One evening, we came home from work, I went upstairs, changed my clothes, and went to the kitchen to fix dinner. We ate dinner and I cleaned up the kitchen. We then went to the back yard and worked a bit in the garden and sat in lawn chairs enjoying the evening. When it got dark, I said I thought I'd go up, take a shower and just hop in bed to read. Dick seemed very anxious for me to come to the living room and watch the evening news first. With a huge sigh, I shuffled into the living room to find a beautiful bentwood rocker with a huge yellow bow in the seat. The smile on his face was the sweetest thing I think I had ever seen. Three months later, we received the gift of our son. He was rocked many, many hours in that chair.

I have not thought about that for a long time. It makes me smile and feel loved to just think about it.

Thank you for the nice thought for the day.

Anne

Yes I know what you're talking about, because I had that with George. He was definitely my soul mate and everyone could see it. Our love was special...so special that people noticed it, they used to stare at us at church, I think because what we had was so rare and so obvious. It took me a lifetime to find him, we were in our 40's, and we only knew each other 6 1/2 years, were married 3 years and 8 months to the day. But those were the best years of my life. We connected, from the very beginning, we related to each other, communicated very well, understood each other, had faith in each other, and cared about each other more than anything in the world. He was my big bear and I was his little bear. I felt when he held me it was the best place in the world to be. You're right, there is never another one exactly like that.

Thank you Wes, and Anne for your kind words. It was just a couple days ago I was putting some of Pauline's jewelry in her box and it reminded me of that moment. The look on Pauline's face was priceless. I was so glad I did not say something before she told me to open my eyes. I know she had to work to get it back to me and keep it a secret. The smile she had and the joy she was filled with, was really all I needed. Yes getting my ring back after all those years was special too.

Kay I am so glad that you had found your soul mate, even though you did not have as many years as you would have wanted you still hold onto those special moments you had.

I don't everyone is as lucky as we are. Some people go from marriage to marriage, and they still cannot find their someone special. I am not talking about people here on HOV. I am talking about people we all know who has not yet found their sole mate

God Bless, let his light guide you down your journey through life. Where He Leeds Us WE do not know, but trust and have faith it will be the right road through life.

Dwayne

YEs, Dwayne. Bill and I had hundreds of those moments in our time together. I waited 46 years to find the love of my life and I knew him in my heart since I was 14. So when we met, I recognized him. I feel like we were one being...thought alike, felt alike, all of what you have all said. Now, of course, I feel like an essential part of me is gone though I know he is still with me somehow. I knew his thoughts as you did and he knew mine. It is all of what is on these posts that has deepened our loss and pain and I bet none of us would trade a moment of any of the pain if we could have one second with our love. I know I would do anything for just one minute with him....

I read your story with tears in my eyes. Thank you.

mfh, I am glad you had that kind of love too. And like you I think it makes their passing so much harder to deal with. Before cell phone, while at work I would get a number of calls a day. As production manager I order a lot of supplies needed to make our products. When I would get a call, the office never would say who the calls were from. When I would get a call, the office would just say Dwayne and the line number. When Pauline would call the office would page me and the line number, I would say Hi Babe, She would say how do you know its me. I would just know.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I totally understand that. I also knew when Bill would call before I answered the phone. We talked often if I was gone or he was gone. How grateful I am for all that and how much more difficult it makes the loss. I am glad you also had this special oneness. mfh

George would call me on his breaks and his lunch break, every day. I used to tell him, "Why don't you enjoy your lunch break with the other guys?" and he'd reply "They don't have anything special to say, I see them all the time, I'd rather talk to you!" When he passed away, it was so hard when that time of day would come...and go. A lot of people think you can't make a long distance relationship work, but we did...he worked 75 miles from home and when he started having accidents (falling asleep at the wheel) from working so hard and being so tired (he was Diabetic...we didn't know about his heart condition at the time) I told him he needed to find somewhere close to his job to stay during the week. Neither of us liked being apart but I didn't want to lose him. I remember one time he showed up at my office mid-week with my mom in tow and said "I forgot my comb"! I said, "Hon, you could have bought a comb at WalMart way cheaper than driving all the way up here." :) He knew that, it was just an excuse to see me because he missed me. It's things like that I will never forget. So many wonderful memories crowded into our short time together. I'm sure Tammy can relate.

I can definitely relate!

It seemed that on the days that I was most frazzled at work, when the phone was just ringing off the hook and I didn't think I could handle one more phone call.....I would pick it up and hear "Hi Babe!" and my heart would melt and everything would be right in the world.

Yes, we only had 4 short years together, but I think because we appreciated all the little things, and Jeff was all about the little things.....it seems like we were together for longer. We were on the same page with just about everything, and if that doesn't make your soul mate, I don't know what does. He used to tease me that although I was 7 years younger than he was, I was an "old soul", that although I was raised to be an independent woman....I so appreciated and shared his old fashioned values.

There isn't a doubt in my mind about Jeff being my soul mate......and that he will be the one I will spend eternity with. :)

Hugs,

Tammy

Pauline and I had so many times when words were not needed. I agree it makes it so much harder to deal with the loss. I know I will never find that special love again.

Dwayne

Was just thinking of another sweet memory that I thought I would share.

Every Tuesday Jeff and I would make the trip to Boston to Dana Farber for his chemo. We always considered ourselves lucky to live somewhat close since people travel from all over.....but it would still take anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours, depending on what time of day and how much traffic.

On one particular long ride home Jeff decided we should stop at the rest stop on the way home to grab a coffee, with this particular rest stop having a Burger King and Dunkin Donuts as well as a pretty good sized lobby. We had no sooner walked into the lobby when we heard our song "Amazed" by Lonestar playing on the overhead speakers. Without even thinking, Jeff grabbed my hands and pulled me to him.....and we danced right there in the lobby like we were the only ones in the building. Yes, "Amazed" was the perfect song for him......because he never ceased to amaze me.

Oh how I miss him!

Hugs,

Tammy

Oh Tammy, that's so sweet! Amazed was one of our songs too. When George and I got together we were lucky, that was a wonderful year for country love songs...my son made us a wedding CD with all of our favorites, because we didn't just have one song, but many. I still have that CD although it's so hard for me to listen to now.

Tammy, that is such a wonderful moment in you live. It is those special times that helps us hold on to the good in life. The more of those you recall helps to heal our soul.

Dwayne