Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

I do not have my spouse to say this to, so all of you get it, and thank you for being here for me these last 10 months. Remembering last year and how sick he was but he still got on the computer and ordered a dozen roses and they arrived on Valentine's Day for me. One year ago seems like forever. He was such a romanatic when I was the more practical one. How I miss that and him. Wishing each of you peace today and may the memories of past Valentine's Days bring you much comfort.

Blessings

Becky

Happy Valentines Day to everybody too! Yep, my first one too and it sucks. I have been torturing myself with listening to Dolly Partons/ Linda Rondstats/ Whitney Houston's "I will always love you".

Fortunately today is one of my regularly scheduled grief support groups lunches, so I will shower, get dressed and head out soon. It is cold and snowy today, not too inviting for an outing.

Beth

Hello To All,

First Happy Valentines Day...try and find comfort somehow...this is my second and the day my wife Ruth passed in 2010, it does

get better or maybe not better but more tolerable, these days will always be etched in our hearts, for me, I focus on all the happiness which was present in our lives and somehow I make it...I hope everyone finds the comfort they need today...

NATS

Becky, I too was the "practical one" and George the spontaneous romantic one...how I miss his surprises and love notes! He used to write notes to me and leave them all over the house, in the closet, the bathroom cabinet, the laundry room, everywhere...I still have them up, I will not take them down unless I move and then I'll take them with me.

I know this day is hard for all of us...most of my life I have had someone in my life but I am used to being alone now and choose to share today by celebrating my dog's birthday...I ordered a pizza for us for tonight and will have a neighbor over to watch tv tonight so I won't be alone all day at least. It's not the same as having that special someone in your life but that was then and this is now, and now I must survive and I tell my sweet George "I hope you're having a good day in heaven and I hope to see you soon" (don't worry, not planning to die any time soon, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a short time and we will be reunited, it only seems long to us who are left here).

I also made it through, but it wasn't one of the better ones by far. I could of crawled under the covers and skipped the whole day. Memories are good but they sure make it harder to get through the now and present. Starting to feel anxiety, not sure what it is all about. Thinking it was at this time last year that my spouse's health and cancer started heading south fast. If this is it, I have got a rough next two months with last years memories of these times. Even though it is hard remembering last year's Valentine's Day as sick as he was, I am betting that next year will be worse, remembering that he wasn't with me for this year's Valentine's Day. Hoping I make progress in my thought process by then.

Blessings

Becky

It's very hard to have such a day in our society, a day for celebrating love with that special someone...when you don't have that person to celebrate with, it grinds it home all the more. Saturday night I attended the valentine banquet at our church...I sat there for two hours while couples enjoyed it...I finally left before the guest speaker began to talk...I could not endure an hour of listening to a speech on love, etc.

It is hard enough being single and going through Valentine's Day, but when you've had that special soulmate in your life and then lost them to death, there is no word for how it is to survive Valentine's Day alone.

At least today we know we don't have to face that again for another year. I hope you all are doing better today.