Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Thank you all for your birthday wishes! I just got home from the senior site, it was fun. Tomorrow I'll have lunch with a friend and Friday I'll celebrate with my sisters and daughter. It's been a good day thus far!

Anne, I wish I could have gone with you to see the Fall colors. George and I always used to go for a drive and collect leaves for a bouquet. I miss that.

Happy Birthday Kay, glad it has been a good day, and that you have more birthday fun to look forward to. Anne, would have loved to be on your trip, Mike and I drove Oak Creek Canyon several times, and loved it, also Sedona.

Heading back to Ash Flat tomorrow to spend day with my sis. She is having a lot of diarrhea problems, so they are running test to see if she has bowel infection. She is also coughing a lot today my niece said, so they did another xray. My niece said she was a little subdued today, I cannot blame her. I think by the end of the month they will probably be moving her to Melbourne, an older facility, but right in their town, will make it so much easier on my niece. The nursing care, and the therapy should be about the same.

QMary

QMary, I hope they get Lois' problems figured out so she can be more comfortable. I hope all goes well with her impending move, I know that'll be an adjustment for her.

Dear friends,

I had a mentally and emotionally restful week despite a couple of hiccups. I got the garage largely cleaned up, mowed the lawn, spent some time sitting on a beach just listening to the waves, watched some good movies, thought some good thoughts, and managed to turn my brain off at least part of the time.

I wrote a long piece this morning on the importance of clinical trials after someone I knew from a long time ago said those trials only existed to enrich doctors and drug companies. That kind of know-nothing blather usually leaves me so angry I just walk away. I've been up close and personal with medical trials throughout my life--starting with being part of the polio vaccine trials in the mid-1950s. It wasn't a decision I made, but one my parents made for us--I was all of about five at the time. But it gave me an understanding of how valuable those things can be in solving diseases.

My mother went through years of trials when she was fighting Alzheimer's--she was among the earliest to get Aricept (sp?), among other drugs. They didn't buy her much but they moved the ball forward for others. Given how advanced Jane's cancer was, most of what we tried wasn't even a clinical trial--as was what we had planned if she had gotten out of the hospital after her heart surgery.

Every person who does a drug trial is exhibiting a kind of courage too many people don't understand. There is no promise the treatment will work--and often a chance it will make things worse. That polio trial could have given us the polio we were trying to avoid. This month, I read about a recent cancer trial that actually increased the growth rate of the tumors in some patients while retarding it in others. And no one can figure out why--at least not yet. But without the trials of the 1950s--many of which failed badly, childhood leukemia would still be carrying off 90 percent--or more--of the children who get it. Instead, close to 90 percent are cured and go on to have a normal adolescence and adulthood.

For me, bravery is always a positive thing--especially when it leads to positive things like cures for diseases.

Peace,

Harry

Bravo, Harry!

We need more, not fewer clinical trials. Doug took part in several, and I am part of one right now. How else can we humans gather information to help ourselves stay well, alive, and healing?

Congratulations on a good week, and especially for sitting and listening to the waves. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Harry, I am glad that you got some emotional and physical rest. Although cleaning out the garage does not sound very restful to me. :P If anything like my garage, which has become a catch-all, it would take me a week or two. No way can a car go in there right now. I have been cleaning out closets and purging papers, it is amazing the amount of stuff you collect thinking it is important. I ran across stuff from years ago that has absolutely no value in my life today. I continue today with the coat closet, where the floor is full of "things" extension cords, a drill, etc, etc.

You are right to be upset when clinical trials are put down. They serve a very important purpose, and many diseases and illnesses would be much worse today without the trials yesterday.

I am using this time that my sister is in quarantine, and I am not going to the nursing home, to try to get my house in order, there is a peacefulness about doing that sort of activity.

QMary

Mary, I am so glad you are taking care of yourself and your nest while your sister is in quarantine. Your plate has been so full these past months and creating order in our nests helps to create peace. For women, especially, our homes are our nests and nests are places of nurturing and safety and birth. When I work with women (and some men) in therapy and they are attempting to make sense of their lives and feelings, among the suggested "homework" ideas is to room by room put their home (nest) in order. Purge stuff and simplify their surroundings. It is very healing and as you say peaceful. I usually take on a room at a time and if I am tired I start with the easiest room or closet.

My garage was getting to the point I was having trouble getting the car into it. And I need somewhere to put the lawn furniture before the snow flies. I built some shelves, threw out a bunch of old boxes and plastic plant pots. It will take a few weeks to get everything into the city trash barrels that needs to go, but even that is organized into one spot. I still have the tool wall to fight with--where I keep all the shovels, rakes and other implements of the landscaping hobbyist--but that is relatively simple by comparison.

Why not the basement, you ask? It would swallow the lawn furniture easily. Except that it is my catch-all and currently looks like an episode of "Hoarders." Jane had started working on it before she got to the point she could no longer handle stairs and had gotten to the point where everything is at its messiest.Then I compounded the problem by moving boxes of things from the rooms upstairs when I was getting them in order. The place is now an emotional series of land mines that I'll finally try to face this winter. The garage had similar issues--just fewer of them. And once the trash there is completely taken out, I'll have space to put things from the basement that I need to figure out what I'm doing with--not to mention the bags and bags of trash that project will entail.

Doing the garage was therapeutic and restful. Most of the time I wasn't dealing with the emotional issues as most of the potentially emotional stuff there had lost its power--we didn't keep much there that had real physical or emotional value beyond our cars. I gave Jane's car to our niece two years ago when she started rounds and needed to have a car to get around in. She took it to California when she started her residency and is still driving it. She plans to give it to some other needy med-school student when she's done with it. Given her plan to be a doctor for the homeless, I don't think that day will ever actually arrive.

Of course the other work piled up all week. I have a meeting about a fundraiser later this morning, a half-marathon team to touch base with and several pieces to write between now and the weekend. No rest for the wicked this week. :)

Be well, all.

Peace,

Harry

Harry,

I couldn't agree more! We learn from the clinical trials, and yes there is risk involved, but that is what groundbreaking stuff is made of! We need pioneers willing to take the risk and learn for the benefit of generations to come.

You and I must have been on the same wave length...I got up and cleaned in my garage in the middle of the night a few days ago since I couldn't sleep anyway...I still can't fit both vehicles into it but it looks better!

As rough as this winter is forecast to be, I need to clean the garage out enough to get my car into it.....wonder if that will happen before snow flies... :unsure: Yes, Mary, it is amazing how therapeutic cleaning and purging can be for a person. I am finding calmness and pleasure in the work. I have way more to do....the garage being the most demanding, and hardest.

QMary

Mary, I am so glad you will get your car in the garage for the winter. It will be so much easier on you. Ironically the garage is on my list also. I do it every fall and this fall I am moving many items (snowblower, chain saws, lathe, one bike -Bill's and more) to the front and see if I can get them sold or given away before winter. Every year there is less in the garage. When the weather changes, I will hit the basement....4 piles (garbage/recycle-Good Will-Sell-Keep). Why do we collect so much "stuff"???

I've been giving away a lot of my unneeded things for Bingo prizes at the senior center. It's fun to see them scramble for them. I'm amazed to see how many of them WANT to collect that "stuff" whereas I've love to just be rid of it! Way too much "stuff"...

QMary, I just read the forecast for this winter but they predicted a normal winter without long stretches of undue cold, and wetter in the south. I'm hoping the one I read is more correct than the one you heard!

With gratitude for its beauty....now those leaves have created a lovely lawn. Next comes the mower to mulch them....in preparation for snow.

post-14525-0-89991200-1413737814_thumb.j post-14525-0-34180300-1413737832_thumb.j

Pure beauty ~ your tree is so lovely, Mary. I love the branches ~ they are magical.

Trees

BY JOYCE KILMER

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Dear friends,

A couple of positives for the last few days. We had four people run in the Fall River Half Marathon and 5K this morning--all at the shorter distance. Everyone--including the 11 year-old--ran well and had a good time. We all went out for breakfast afterward.

My knee continues to make progress. I mowed the lawn yesterday without incident for only the second time since August. It still gives me a twinge--especially in damp weather--periodically, just to let me know it is still not happy. I didn't run today--stood on the sidelines and cheered and took pictures.

I finished part 10 of what looks like a 12 part series on marketing NETs to the general public today. Part 11 looks easy, but Part 12--where I propose an actual step by step plan--looks increasingly like a bear, and not a very happy one. You'd think after 10,000+ words that last piece would be easy--but some of what I've written already has ruffled some influential feathers. I have to diplomatically tell people we need to make some course changes if we are going to get the general public to pay any attention.

I've started moving the outdoor furniture into the newly cleaned garage. At least now there is somewhere to put things. We are not as far into autumn as some of the rest of you are here. I have another month likely before the unpleasant stuff hits. And another two likely before we see snow and frozen ground.

Peace,

Harry

I love that poem, Anne! I've always loved good poetry...and being a tree lover, this one is special.

Good luck with what you're undertaking, Harry. I know anything like that is very political and not always an easy or fun task, you're right, you have to be very diplomatic, but if anyone is qualified for the task, of this I'm sure, you are.

I'm joining the garage cleaners today. My dear friend Sandra is going to help me so there is room to bring my Pete's cactus collection inside for the winter. He would have repotted them by now and I'm not looking after them as I should though. I try so hard to replicate our regular activities even though it's only me. But the garage is chaotic aNd tidying IT will make me feel better I know. I don't keep the car inside it. Pete kept his motor bike there though.

I too love that poem, made me smile. When you posted that beautiful tree on FB, Mary, I had to share it with my friends, I cannot believe the leaves have already fallen! Our trees are turning here, peak is still a week or two away. I am hoping that my friend Joe and I will see some beautiful colors next weekend on the way to Eureka Springs to the Mini Cooper Rally.

My daughter's divorce was final today, I went with her to judge's chambers to testify that she had been citizen of Boone County for over 6 months. There were about 5 mother/daughter combinations there for the same reason. I knew the judge and we chatted a bit, he is a supporter of the theatre group and the Arts Council.

I am heading right now to take my car in for a new "blower motor" in the climate control system. Not an expense I really wanted, but it quit working the other day, was off for couple of days, then started working again. They said it is going bad, and with cold coming, decided to go ahead and get repaired. Taking my kindle and will just wait there until they are done.

QMary

Mary, the falling leaves are a mix around here. Some maples still have all their leaves while mine is all but bare. Not sure why except that each variety may shed at a different time and the amount of sun each gets matters. The heights of mine also matters as it is so big that the top leaves get blown off easily.

Don't you hate automobile expenses? I just spent a heap on mine and though I know it is needed I hate turning that money over for things like that. I bet we all do. :)

QMary, I hope you don't have to wait too long.

A friend came for a couple of days, just went home. While I look forward to company, it's always nice to have things back to normal too.

Big winds coming in, storming the rest of the week. I'm going to the coast Fri.-Sun., it would storm then!

The proclamation from the governor for NET Cancer Awareness Month is signed and sealed and soon to be delivered. Long day tomorrow, but Book Fest Boston for the day on Saturday. Time for some sleep.

Sleep well earned, Harry! Yay! (about the proclomation)