Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I am sorry if we are not to post topics about pets, but I am hoping this way, we can all find out what is going on at Kay's and with Arlie sooner.

*<twinkles>*

fae

fae,

I came home and he hadn't eaten all day and refused to eat, even though I made gravy for his dog food. I gave him his walk and then a bit of people food. He just had some water. I am going to take him to the valley to have him looked at by a vet on Friday, I just want someone's opinion. I don't know if I'm the biggest worry wart or if I should be. I'm going crazy. He acts like he's fine, doesn't wince if I palpate his tummy. I can't tell if it's "distended" because it ALWAYS looks distended, he's overweight. I told him tonight is not the time to start a diet. I don't see signs of blood or bruising anywhere. His eyes and gums look good. His poop (forgive me) is darker than usual, but not exactly what I would call "black and tarry" either. It's times like this I wish I didn't live so far from everything...and wasn't so alone. Going to go sit with my baby on the couch...

Dear Kay,

Thank you for the update, and you two have a good night. Things do sound okay, but I know I'd be going for a checkup, too.

And if he is not eating, there is not much output to check, but I am glad everything seems to be an indicator of health.

And now, I am going to sleep. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Kay,

I'm so sorry your fur baby is having difficulties.

((((Hugs))))

It's not looking good. I didn't sleep last night. His tummy/back seems swollen. I am not going to work today, I'm going to find someone to see Arlie. What I fear is blood transfusions or putting him down, neither of which is a good option. I love this dog more than anything in the world but I work part time and don't have a lot of money laying around. I also hesitate to put him through hell just to lose him anyway. But one thing at a time, I can't decide anything until I talk to someone knowledgeable. I'm upset with the emergency care he got, they didn't give him charcoal, said he was too combative, well gosh, they could have let me try! They wouldn't let me back with him and had him back there for a long time, told me to leave and come back. By the time that much time passed it was too late, with the distance I drove to get there, we didn't have a lot of time to waste. We had two things in our favor, his size, and the age of the rat poison, and he didn't ingest but maybe 1/2 box tops. And they did get him to throw up, although they said it just looked like clear liquid. From what I've read, others whose dogs have swallowed this, had a bright green stool afterwards...he did not. Maybe I'm just overreacting, I'd love it if that were the case. I've never been so worried. Even when George died, I didn't have time to get this worked up, I don't think it'd sunk into me what they were saying until afterwards, I kind of went into shock. But this, I can't even describe it. I'm unbelievably close to this dog. I know most people can't understand that, but he is my best friend and companion. He has so many things about him that I love, the way he tucks his head into me when he wants to love on me. The beautiful smile he has, I love it when he's sitting with his eyes closed just smiling big, side profile, it's just the most beautiful sight in the world. I love his goofiness, his spunk and his spirit. The funny way he runs. His teasing. His loving. I've never met a dog like him...I've had dogs all my life but this one is my favorite...that says a lot because they were all special. I wish I hadn't had my hours cut or been out of work for a year so I wouldn't have depleted my savings. I wish...so much. Most of all, I just wish for more time with my Arlie. I feel like life has no meaning without him in it. I just can't handle this, why is everything/everyone good taken from me? I know, it does no good to ask why, still, in the throes of it...

Oh my dear Kay. I am right here hearing your cry. I know how much you love Arlie. I am hearing how scared you are. So many questions you have. I know you will find someone who can give you a better answer as to what is going on with Arlie. Our furry friends sure do have their own personalities, don't they? I like how Arlie tucks his head into you. Benji does the same to me. I could be sitting in my chair reading and he jumps up and stands right on my chest licking my face!! I did not think I'd ever let a dog lick my face, but it happens. I know your attachment to Arlie. These creatures we bring into our lives just seem to know that we need them as much as they need us. When it is time for our morning walk Benji starts strutting around the house and going back and forth to the garage door. He is so funny. I have not been able to beat him to the car once I open the garage door! We do love our furry friends. My heart is with you today as always and we want to hear anything as soon as you find out. I am standing right beside you and being hopeful with you. Love, Anne

Thanks, Anne. I'm not feeling super hopeful right now, more like terrified. I'll let you be hopeful for me. Coveting prayers...

Trust me, Kay, you don't need to explain to any of us your deep attachment to and love for your precious Arlie. We all understand and honor the connection you have with this dog, and we're all holding our breath as we lift both you and Arlie up in our prayers. You do not deserve this added stress in your already difficult life, dear Kay, and my heart just aches for you. Keep us informed as you are able, and know that we are right there with you in spirit.

Kay, I just saw these posts. No, you do not need to explain your pain about Arlie. I cried Shen I dropped Bentley at the kennel yesterday....next time he goes with me. I cleared it with Jim.

I am relieved you will get another opinion. That ERVet appeared to be more concerned about his/her own co fort..not allowing you to try and saying he is too combative. That is their job.

I am so sorry....I do understand your agony...I sometimes believe it is Bentley that keeps me going..on bad days. You are in my heart and prayers as is Arlie. Let us know. Sending love.

Mart

Oh Kay, I am praying for you, and I totally understand how much you love Arlie. I know how terrified I get when either Sassy or Faith is sick.....I remember the panic attack when Sassy swallowed the chicken bone. Please know we are hoping and praying everything is all right with Arlie.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Thanks everyone, we just got back. Apparently now Arlie has a reputation that follows him, the ER sent their notes to his vet saying he was "combative". I told them he'd never bitten anyone but he's protective of himself when strangers try to do weird things to him.

The vet checked him over real well and said he's going to make it and the reason he's not eating...he's just spoiled and holding out for table food (probably because he's been getting it to get his pills down with). So afterwards I took him over to PetSmart and let him pick out a new toy and then we came home. :) Oh and he weighed in at 117...needs to lose some weight, maybe after this month we can start working on it.

Oh Kay, I know I'm shouting for JOY! I am so happy for you, dear lady. This was huge and I am grateful it is turning out this way. About time you get a break. Anne

Yeah, now for some of you to get a break! And I will give him a big hug & kiss! ;)

Kay, I am back home and so relieved for you and Arlie. I do know the worry....and am so happy the vet was able to say he WILL make it...and yes, a diet for him but after this month of waiting. It is pretty simple with a dog...as we have control of what they eat. Bentley gains two or three pounds over the winter each year and I just cut his food and treats back and it disappears pretty quickly. But right now is time to just be grateful, cry out of relief, and hug Arlie.

Peace,

Mary

Dear Kay,

Thank you for letting us all know, and I am happy that all is well with Arlie. He can lose the weight over time, because now, he has the time. How wonderful! Oh, that is truly welcome news, especially after the worry and strange Emergency Vet services. I imaging Arlie would have been a bit snappish, because he was no doubt at all picking up on your emotional energy and knew something was going on.

Have a wonderful rest and I know you will enjoy the relief of the news.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Kay, so relieved when I got on the computer this morning to find that Arlie is going to be fine. I have been trying to help my chunky corgis to lose a little weight, they are at the top end of their weight range. I think we are slowly getting there!! Anyway, so very happy about Arlie, I know you are so happy.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I'm afraid Arlie has blown the top out of his weight range. :) We'll have to work on that starting next month. One thing at a time.

Yesterday we got a much better vet, one that seemed to have an understanding of animal behavior, and actually spent a couple minutes trying to befriend him and earn his trust before proceeding. He also let me do the touchy stuff, like lifting his eye lids back, showing his gums, etc. He fed him treats while he was examining him to keep him calm and cooperative. It really helped. Usually we get someone that is judgmental and snappy, and it doesn't go very well with him. I really think vets need to learn how to deal with animals, not just the medical side of things.

Arlie ate ALL of his food yesterday and as far as I can tell, hasn't lost any more fur. Can you believe we're on day 12 so only three more weeks until I can take him in for his coagulation test!

:):P:D;):wub: I am so glad...give Arlie a hug for me.

My neighbor friend (9 years old) who asked me when Bill died, if he could help me by picking up Bentley poop...and is still doing it....just brought his new rescue to my door. He was so proud...it is a Shepherd and something else...blond and very subdued. We will introduce Bentley to him once I know more about him. They just got him today and he had to show me his new dog...so proud. His dad is the Lutheran minister (and a psychoanalyst) and he and my brother had Bill's funeral. Good friends. His son was so cute today...the dog was bigger than he is. Sooooooooo glad for you and Arlie!! Mary

Oh Kay, I didn't know this was going on, I'm sorry. As you may remember I had to put down one of my beloved beagles right before Christmas. It has horrible, she began acting sick and I tried everything I could, I do not have money, like you, maybe I could have saved her had she had earlier intervention. It ended up being heart disease, she was a stray, that Larry fell in love when the minute they saw each other. The vet said she may have had it a long time and never showed symptoms until recently. She was also alittle chunky, but adorable. I miss her terribly and my Maggie my other dog, a foxhound still pines for her. I'm so happy Arlie is doing better, its so hard when something happens with our pets. Love you, give him a hug for me, take care, Deborah

Thanks, Deborah, yes I do remember you losing your dog, it is so hard when it happens. I wish they could live as long as we do.

Mary, so glad for your neighbor boy...and for the dog, sounds like a win-win!