Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Falling Apart

Cremations, I've been through and been involved in three the past three years....The no frills and pick up the Ashes was $1600 US with newspaper notices the only add on.....My Mothers and Angela's were a little more involved, viewings, chapel, and all paper work.......$5000.....I''m in the process of pre paying for my departure day so no one has any surprises...

• Upvote 2

On ‎01‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, Autumn2 said:

Eight weeks yesterday and not doing well. 52 years February 6th. Today sold my husband's car.  It was our comfortable travel car with lots of memories but I dont need another car. So our local mechanic was nice enough to field inquiries and take people out if they wanted to drive it...iffy if you are a woman alone. People nice, met at the local bank to sign the title and I fell apart. Could not stop crying. I am sure the people had been told why I was selling the car and they were very nice just making it that much worse. The asst. manager asked me if I would like a place to "compose" myself. She knew about my hubby's death as had been handling various financial things. I so told myself I will not fall apart and I did. And I miss the car. When they wanted to give me a lower offer as it needed to be "detailed" I said no as frankly by then I was looking for a reason not to sell it. So here I am...a mess. Little things like this just so throw me. Go to the grief support group and dont cry and then fall apart like I did. i really need to go and get my husband's license where he worked parttime but afraid I will really, really, really fall apart and then next week I start in a Master Gardeners class...what my hubby had been doing for years. We were going to switch off volunteering and we were going to have a contest on who could grow the best tomatoes...now what do I have?. How am I going to make it thru this class? i mentioned in an earlier post I was having trouble not crying well the last few days that has changed. Maybe I have been numb up til now. i just dont know. Sorry for rambling. Crying as I type.

Autumn2:  Eight weeks is really soon.  I'm 20 months out and still "falling apart."  It's okay, no matter what people say.  I've been finding that my biggest hurdles are people who keep gently letting you know that you need to compose yourself.  What I really need, and maybe you, is just compassion and being allowed to fall apart and letting it be okay.  Fifty-two years is such a long time to be with someone.  For me it was 47 years.  I don't know when I'll feel really okay again.  I'm going through the days and I do have what I call my neutral time, but the pain comes in small stabs for me and I can't get around it.  I thought I could bulldoze my way through, but I've found out you have to take what comes.  You're just grieving a tremendous loss.  Good for you not taking the lower price, by the way!....good wishes, Cookie

• Upvote 5

I wish to thank you all for the many thoughtful good wishes and even more importantly the wonderful understanding you all have given me. You have all been there for me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Know too, while I know our circumstances are varied we all are trying to get thru this as best we can and I am sending good wishes and hugs to all.

• Upvote 5

I noticed in reading through the posts that you and I share an anniversary.  Ours would have been 46 this year. It is always a hard time on me because he died Jan, 18, our anniv. is Feb 6 and my b'day is Feb 23rd.  Even though it's hard it helps that I have another friend who lost her husb around the same time and we can console each other.

You were talking about the master garden class.  I finally last year (8 years out) made myself figure out things to do with my time. We have a community garden so I started helping with it 1-2 days/week.  Do you have something like that?  Made some new friends, renewed some old acquaintances and got my hands dirty.  Just a thought.

You mentioned that you were only 8 weeks out.  Don't be so hard on yourself. You are probably at least half way in the "numb" phase.  Each of us handles things our own way but don't put added pressure on yourself.

I hope being able to vent on this site will help you as much as it did me.

Mary Linda

• Upvote 2

All of these dates compile to be hard to deal with.  I'll be glad for you too when you've gotten through them.  It's tough. :(

Mary Linda, you share the same birthday as my mom and uncle (both gone now) and my stepson.  I want to wish you a Happy Birthday!!

• Upvote 1