Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Clinical Depression

lorikelly

Hi

I just came from therapy and my therapist told me i am clinically depressed. i kind of knew that already but just hearing it really hit me. i am really not doing well, trying so hard, therapy, group bereavement, reading , coming here but still not to good. she wants me to start thinking about meds and maybe they would help. i can only say i know that i am mess. i am going to start looking up meds, tried paxil made me sick. if anyone takes meds or anything else could you let me know. i am so afraid about starting, my mom took them. thanks like always for always listening. lori

Hi Lori,

I myself have never taken antidepressants but I have many family members and friends who take them and find them to be very helpful. I know at first they had to try a couple different ones to get the one that would work the best and have the least amount of side effects. It doesn't have to be forever but if you need that extra little bit of "help" throughout this time then there is nothing wrong with that.

Good luck with your decision.

Chrystal

Lori,

I take Lexapro and have done well on it. I was scared about taking meds too, but they truly saved my life (I was having extreme anxiety problems). The newer antidepressants are so much better than things they had years ago. They don't turn you into a dopey zombie (something I thought would happen!) and they are truly worth a try when you just can't quite get over the hurdle, so to speak. Good luck and don't be afraid or worry about taking them.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi, Lori...

After Dad died, my sleep was so erratic that my doctor put me on Niravam. It's a drug for anxiety and panic. He prescribed a week's supply in order to "reset my clock" and it did help. That's as long as I was on it. Have a serious discussion with your doctor and express your concerns to him/her.

Hugs,

Leann

Lori,

I have also taken Paxil in the past and didn't like the side effects. I now take Eflexor. and it has helped a lot. I also take Trazone at night to help me sleep. Everyone else is right, there are a lot of different meds out there and they work differenty for each rperson. Keep trying until you find the right one.

Derek