Grief Healing Discussion Groups

73 Years Ago On January 8th

Someone special was born on January 8, 1935. He was a favourite singer of Jeannie and I during the 60’s as we danced to many of his songs.

Do you remember those songs?

Remember

He was a good looking fellow back then too:

Younger/Thinner

Oldie’s music brings back many reminders of happier times, I find that listening to it helps keep Jeannie fresh in my mind and relieves some of the sadness of long winter nights. :):)

What were some of your favourites by this singer?

Hi WaltC, when I hear a song that Larry and I loved, maybe danced to together, it takes me right back to that time. I can close my eyes and remember it all so clearly. Yes, I cry, when I hear them but I also love remembering those moments with the man I love.

I have to say "I can't help falling in love with you" would be one of my favorites. What was yours and Jeannie's special song? Do you remember where you were when you would listen to it? Thanks for taking me back in time, a place where life was happy. Deborah

Walt,

You are discovering the healing power of music.

My Linda picked up on how important music was to me and cajoled me until I got back into it. I always said she brought the music back. And what do you know, it is still there. I have a music library of thousands of songs and I have been working through them and I think it has been instrumental (pun intended) in my healing.

We all would agree -- if it works, do it. I am so glad you've found something that works.

--Bob

Oldie’s music brings back many reminders of happier times, I find that listening to it helps keep Jeannie fresh in my mind and relieves some of the sadness of long winter nights. :):)

What were some of your favourites by this singer?

Teny, music touches a very deep place in us. As such it impacts everyone differently. If it works, do it. If not, you have to look for something that helps. Although, don't forget that tears aren't necessarily a bad thing. You may need to cry. You're not looking to dance a jig, you're looking for whatever ultimately brings you comfort. And a good cry can release a lot of pain.

Best,

--Bob

Hello my friends I do know the song but not the singer .Music is not healing for me it makes me cry and I can not listen to any kind of music since last year .It hurts alot.TENY

Hello Everyone...The first few months after Bruce passed away I could not listen to any of the country songs that we loved without crying...but now almost a year since his death I am learning to love our songs again...still a few tears but they are not all sad tears...Bruce and I loved to go to concerts and now our daughter goes to them with me..the first one was the hardest one I cried and she cried but we still had fun so like the old saying goes life does go on. Thanks again Walt for reminding us the music does help heal the soul. Gail :wub:

No way does it seem possible he could have been that old (if he'd lived that long!) I remember where I was the day I heard the news that he died. I think he was one of America's favorites...he had a voice that could melt any of us!

Teny,

I agree with you, I also can't listen to music anymore. Music has always been my life, with bands that I have belonged to etc. but now to hear many of the songs brings me too much pain and sorrow. I am hoping some day to get back into my music but for now, I will keep things quiet.

Love,

Wendy

What a great post WaltC!

Unchained Melody has always been one of our favorites. Not too long ago I found it with Elvis singing it on You Tube. I listened to it every day for weeks and even though I cried like a baby every time, it also brought back some wonderful memories. I would have loved to post it here but apparently theres been some sort of dispute and it's been removed.

A year ago for Christmas, my granddaughter gave me a CD of Johnny Mathis songs. I didn't even look at the song list as I love all of his music. The first time I played it and The Twelfth of Never came on it was a real shocker! My husband had a great voice in his younger days and he often sang that song just for me.

By the way Elvis and I are the same age! I've been a fan of his since he first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. ;)

Thanks for the memories!

Walt that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing that with us. My huband will be gone one year this Sunday Jan 20. It is still soooo hard for me to believe that he is gone...and one year at that how I miss him. Take care of yourself Walt and thanks for reminding us that music helps. Gail :wub: