Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hi all,

I made it to Knoxville yesterday, and today drove through the worst rain and wind I've ever seen to Memphis. I saw two funnel clouds when I got here. It took 8 hours to get to Memphis, and I'm soooo tired. I don't know how I'm doing this or going to continue to do it. I tried to get a room in Nashville since the rain was so bad, but I got lost and the only hotels I found wouldn't take dogs. I knew staying in Nashville would throw me off schedule, but I could hear my husband say as he always did "you set your own calendar, baby". I had no choice but to keep going. I was shaking so badly that I thought it was the car until I stopped and realized it was me.

That's all for now. I hope to reach the OK border tomorrow. I need all the prayers I can get, and I know it's a miracle I've come this far.

((((((((((Mel)))))))))

Got ya covered. Hope into OK is a bit better for ya. Try to get on your puter to scope out a few options at different points for hotels/motels that take pups. This way you have more options and maybe won't end up as tired. I'll pray you can easily find somewhere to rest for the remainder...

You are doing great!!! And I can't tell you how much of an inspiration you are to us all!

Pet the pup for us!

leeann

Thanks Leeann,

I couldn't believe my luck today. I actually saw two funnel clouds form when I was coming into Memphis. It was totally dark and barely visable. When I got into my room, the sun came out and there was a rainbow. I took a picture of it. It made me cry.

I think the rainbow was a sign to you that everything's going to be okay. I know that I have gotten rainbows just when I needed them, they were a special sign to me...there was a TRIPLE rainbow and a huge thunderstorm when George died, I think it was his passage into the next life. It was so spectacular, I couldn't see it because I was in the middle of the hospital, but my sister took pictures of it, it was at the exact moment he passed. Amazing!

I'm glad you finally got a motel. How's the pup doing?

I'm in a hotel in nowhere, Arkansas - 7 miles from the OK border. Today I crossed the Mississippi and I lost it. Whenever we crossed it in the past, my husband would say "Ok, there's no turning back now". I've come about 1000 miles now. What a journey. Tomorrow is a short day because I need a break - only going to OK City. Thanks for all of your support and prayers.

It's sunny, 75, windy, but way better than yesterday. It looks like they are getting the weather I had yesterday at home now in NC.

Onward! I promised you, honey.

Well say "Hello" to nowhere Arkansas for me! And I'm glad you are making it a short day tomorrow. You will have many kindred souls around you in OK city. We just passed the 14th Anniversary of the OK city bombing....

So know there are many around you there who know your pain. Sometimes I find it comforting to know... that.. others "know" what this is like. Hope it brings you some measure of comfort too.

Crossing the Mississippi..... ((((hugs)))) I know that was tough.. but.. you DID it! And he was with you! NO doubt about it.

So you lost it??? You are still doing it Mel!

Pet the poochy from us all and imagine our arms around ya as you go!

Deborah is right... you should be RIGHT proud of yourself.. (not just regular proud) for doing what you have already done!

1000 miles down...... only about a little more than half that to go hon! You are making it just fine!

Tomorrow looks to be a sunny & warm day for you there in OK city and I hope it is relaxing a bit for you too.

(((((((((((((Mel)))))))))))))

leeann

So glad to hear you are OK. A friend of mine was hit from behind on the interstate while doing 65. She and the driver were OK but I thought of you being tired and having something like that happen. I'm glad you're going to take a little break tomorrow. You and your "pal" need that.

Sweet dreams.

I know it's ridiculous, but I have put a reminder in my calendar to say a prayer for you two on the 26th, because I can't trust myself to remember otherwise.

You are doing so so well. Take it at your pace. Eat well (listen to me. I am NOT your mother!!)

Big hugs

Boo

xx

Boo, I'll spread his ashes on the 26th assuming all goes well before then. Glad I don't have far to go today - didn't sleep well. I think I have about 600-700 more miles to go. I'm having a hard time with MapQuest on this browser.

Mel.. try Google Maps instead. I gave up trying to use Mapquest awhile ago. (But maybe I'm not all that patient.. lol) But I usually get great directions and info from Google Maps. Plus it allows you to change routes (like a different highway or the back roads instead.. type thing) and then pops out the new directions & milage instantly.

Glad you are going easy today. I never sleep well for the 1st couple nights in a new place..and since you are not staying in one place more than a night or two... I can perfectly understand not sleeping well at all. That's kind of expected I would think. But just continue at a pace that works for you. Make adjustments when you need to. No big deal. Flexibility has been sorta built into your trip by you.... so... use it.

(((((((((((((Mel))))))))))))))

leeann

(And Boo.. I have to write almost EVERYthing down nowadays... My brain just isn't what it used to be. So don't feel bad. I figure that's why someone invented calendars & planners... etc. :) )

I hope I attached this OK. This was the rainbow from my window in Memphis. Not much of a view, but the rainbow was worth it. I've had sunny skies since. I'm in OK City. Tomorrow will be really hard taking my husband back to Texas for the last time - where he was born. I thought about it all day.

post-12508-1240344793_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone.

Today was especially hard on me physically and emotionally. I knew I would need to stop due to tears at the Texas border, but as you know, there is no where to stop right away. Distances here are so deceiving. One mile equals ten back home. Still, I made it to Amarillo.

Thanks for your prayers.

(((((Mel))))) Hugs for you.

I know today was real hard for you... but you DID it! Hope having the pup was some comfort.

And look how far you have already come now! You are nearly to your goal.

Prayers will be covering you the rest of the way.

Let sleep take you away tonight and give you some good rest.

leeann

Mel

I had read your other thread and looked at the pictures before I got to this one. Was much of your trip on the same roads? I know you didn't go all the way to the West but thought maybe part way was the same.

How much farther do you have to go? I think you said you wanted to be there by the weekend. I hope you can take it a little slower from this point. Maybe you could take the time for a nice bubble bath (if you like baths) or some way to pamper yourself before your big day. Is the weather suppose to be nice? I sure hope so.

I hope you will find peace in all of this. Please be safe.

Mary Linda, Until today, both of our road trips to California covered the road I've been on. From here we would go south usually to visit my brother-in-law. Today will be new for me, but I'm only going about 2.5 hours. If all goes well, I will be arriving at my destination in Taos tomorrow. I would like to get a massage, but alas, I will have to wait. A bubble bath sounds excellent. The weather is really nice. Thanks.

I've arrived in Taos, but not without issue(s). I followed the directions, but got lost in Las Vegas, NM for all of 10 minutes - the wind was really heavy all day. I did OK on the two lane roads where there's no where to stop and proceeded to drive up into the tree line. About 45 miles from Taos, I started getting light-headed - like I might pass out. I had to stop every couple of miles. I stopped at a tiny post office, and the lady in there gave me a mulit-grain bar to eat, offered me water (I had these things in the car, but wasn't that nice?) I left and I started to go up a long winding road and had to pull off and call an ambulance. They wanted to take me to the hospital, but where would my dog go? So, we all agreed it was the altitude, but they told me in my condition, I would never make the 30 miles to Taos with the sort of roads to here. They called an off duly ambulance driver to drive my car and an EMT drove behind us. What a day. I'm downing water trying to fight altitude sickness. I'm glad I don't have to drive tomorrow. I sat in the car on the side of the road wondering what to do and praying for God to send me some help. I guess worst case scenario, I would've slept in the car for the night. It was soooo nice of those strangers to help me like that.