Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Old Feelings Come Flying Back

Well, I knew this day was going to come, but just like with other "loved ones" never want it to. I know it will make some people mad when I say this loved one was my 17 1/2+ y/o dog, but our dogs are part of our family. The reason I am posting here instead of in the pet section is that it brought ALL the old memories of Tom's last night flying right back at me. I could hear every breath that Tom took that last night all over again. I know I am so much more lucky than some of you because it was just a dog, but the memories were of a person and I loved both of them.

I know that I will get through this too and I am so lucky to have had her these last 17 mos since Tom died, but it still hurts like HELL. If you wouldn't mind please at least give me a little prayer today because I'm not through this journey yet and here we go again only not as intense.

Hi Mary Linda:

I do understand how your feel about your dog. After Alex passed my two cats were such a comfort to me and still are. I don't have any children so they are like my children, except I don' have to pay for college.

I dread the day when my cats will pass. They are going to be six, but animal's life span is so short.

I know how you feel and as you say you will get through this as you did everything else.

I will definitely say a prayer for your today

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne

Oh Mary Linda,

I so understand, when I had to put "Rebel" to sleep last month, I relived David's last moments as I held his Rebel's paw. He had been part of my family for 16.5 years. I know we'll get through it but in the wise words of my 27 year old, "This sure sucks" LOL. I sometimes wonder how much more hurt a heart can take.

Hugs to you

Phyllis

It sure does suck!!! I've had animals all my life and it sucks every time. After we lost our beloved dog, a year before Charlie passed, I vowed not have any more animals for a while (if ever). A couple of years ago some friends of mine talked me into getting my 2 kitties - they said I needed some company, that I should be alone. I love my boys, Harley and Davidson. Am dreading something happening to them - hopefully it won't be for a long time!!!

I AM sorry for your loss, Mary Linda!!

Hugs!!

Oh Mary Linda, I am so sorry! And there's no such thing as "just a dog" because some of us get quite attached to our animals, and all the more so after we've lost our spouse and our dog or cat is all we have left. They are the ones that listen when we cry, forgive us when we aren't our best, and love us when we're alone. They make us smile with their antics, and help to put life into perspective. I got a puppy dog in February, and I was shocked at just how quickly I fell in love with this dog and what he's come to mean to me. He's cost me more trouble, damages, and money, not to mention all of my free time, and yet...he has my heart and soul. I've wondered since, what am I going to do when I lose him? For surely by then my attachment will be even greater than I can imagine!

I also experienced the loss of George afresh when I have lost my pets since...in the last five years I have lost six pets. It makes you question why, wasn't the loss of your husband enough, did you have to lose these pets too?

You certainly have my prayers and my sympathy.

Kay

I have had animals most of my life. I have had dogs, cats, birds, fish and turtles.

This might make you laugh. Alex and I had a fish tank, which took more work than any other animal. We had sharks, gold fish, puffers (never get them, they eat other fish) mollys and so on. This is how much Alex loved other living beings. Just before he would feed the fish they would come to the surface of the tank and he would pet the top of their heads. Well he spoiled them. Imagine spoiling a fish. One day my back was to the fish tank and I heard this knocking sound. Well it was one of my gold fish that was banging his head on the fish tank to get my attention and feed him. I probably could never get the fish to do that again, but it just amazed me.

I will tell you there is one thing about animal, mamals, etc. - they are faithful, trustworthy and love you unconditionally. Yes, they are a lot of work, but enjoy them while you have them and don't think about when that time comes.

Mary Linda - Maybe in time, you will get another dog. Maybe not right now. Give yourself time and you will know.

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne

Mary Linda,

After reading Jeannie's post, I want to add...

When my Lucky girl (dog) died, it was two days before I realized John and I were through, and the day I discovered I'd been "burglarized" (not knowing it was John). In all that was going on in my life at the time, I barely had time to mourn my precious Lucky girl. That came later, little by little...even now, I miss her, and thoughts of her come back to me...my timid little girl with the big brown eyes...she was so trained and obedient, we didn't have a fence, yet she would sit in our yard and wait for me to come home from work, never venturing beyond the boundaries! That amazes me, what other dog could you trust that much?! When I went on walks with her I never had to use a leash, for she truly was under voice command.

2 1/2 months later, I felt the stirrings to get another dog. I wanted someone to greet me and spend time with at home. I've never regretted it! With this in mind I acquired my Arlie...who could have easily played the part in Marley and Me, without any acting needed. Arlie is a complete opposite of Lucky girl. Arlie is goofy. Arlie is a destruction king. Arlie also is interactive and loving and playful, whereas my Lucky sat in a corner and trembled much of her life. Lucky was scared of her own shadow, but Arlie knows no fear. How blessed we are to have these creatures, whether they are compliant or challenging, whether they are fearful or self-assured, whether they prefer to stay to themselves or interact, whether they are dignified or playful...they are all unique! As Jeannie said, you will know if and when the time comes that you want to get another dog...it will never be the same, but rather, a new adventure.

Thank all of you so much. It's good to know people understand and don't think you are making too much about the death of a pet. I had never been around a pet when it was actually dying. I had no idea that they went through all the same breathing and other movements that humans do. It was like every breath she took was Tom taking one.

It was strange not to be greeted when I came home from work, but in the same breath it was nice when she wasn't there to not have to go through the house looking for her and then watching to see if she was breathing.

JeanneC, I loved the "fish" story. I can just see that fish wacking his head on the tank. I'm surprised he didn't get a concusion.

KayC, I too will probably get another dog. I've don't think I have ever been without one. I just feel I need an emotional break for a month or so, but if something came along that I couldn't resist I'd probably go ahead and get it now.

Thanks again everyone.

I understand, too, Mary Linda. When Zeus got old and wouldn't be able to get to the door, I'd walk through praying I would find him still alive. It caught my heart every time. Then when I had to put him to sleep, only a month after Bob died, it was like losing Bob all over again. I thought after losing my greatest love, everything else would seem trivial. Boy was I wrong!You are and will be in my prayers.

Kath

Mary Linda, I am so so terribly sorry that you have lost your dog ... I know how badly I took our beautiful rottweiler (Hammer) dying of old age. And cannot imagine having to go through that now. Of course it has brought all the old feelings back. Your babe was a connection to your old life and grief is cumulative, so you will feel this badly.

The only nice thing I can think of is that they are together somewhere, but of course that won't stop you hurting ... again, sending you huge hug and sorry

xx