Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Husband Would Be Proud - Or Amused

The grass had grown long enough that I decided today would be the day is would be cut, one way or another.

The ancient riding lawn mower would not start. (May never again) I had asked my female friends what type of mowers they owned, and bought one at the big box store in our area. Got it home, assembled it, noted it had a Briggs and Stratton engine, late Husband liked those. Added oil, filled the gas tank, and mowed till I ran out of gas.

This was huge for me. Late husband loved mowing. I'd have had to fight him to do it - so I had done it maybe twice in twenty-five years, and always with his help and supervision.

Now I understand my late husband's frustration with my landscaping, plant placement, artistic ideas of how the yard should look. Navigating the self-propelled mower around my plants was dicey, I don't know how he managed with the much more cumbersome riding mower.

Way to go! And he probably is chuckling about the landscaping...

Korina

That's great news I am so happy for you, I had to go thru same type of situation

as my Ruth and I were always in the yard together....stay positive...

OH and being a husband my self, I would say he'd be Proud...

NATS

I have one of those ancient looking mowers too! Mine never starts without a jump, I have no idea why, I bought a new battery for it last year, now I am waiting for my battery charger to come in. I never understood chokes, but somehow I've managed to get the lawn mowed the last five years, and I know George would be proud. Of course the first time I tried using it (am on a hill) I peed my pants and I thought my kids were going to die laughing...my daughter didn't understand how I could get so scared when she said I never made it out of second! But last time I mowed I had it in fifth (speed) so I must be getting better at it. I've learned it really doesn't tip over even when I think it will. :D

Great job!! I'm sure he is very proud of you. When I managed to change the air conditioning filters I was so proud of myself I had to call my sisters and both my daughters.

Chris

Good job!!! I haven't even tried to fire up the weed eater. Bob was always struggling with it, so I figured it would be too much for me. Instead I got the roundup and sprayed all the edges. It killed everything and then nothing but a hardier variety of weeds grew in their place! I'd take the bad haircut look anyday compared to the thorny bushes I have now!

Good for you, I bought a weed puller today, I hope it works, I tried the weed whacker but it didn't really do a good job, so I was pulling them out, but I will kill my back, so I bought this contraption in Home Depot, I will let you know how it works. I also never turned the weed wacker on before, at least we are trying.

Have a good night

Karen

well my story is a little different. I used to do most of the the yard work. Mind you if something wasn't working properly he would always fix it and he would dig the gardens. One of my bigest moments came a few weeks back when I decided to cook for my family. We always cooked together because my husband loved to cook. I was cooking a turkey and I had never cleaned a turkey in my life. Johnny always did it for me because for some unknown reason it grossed me out digging around the inside of the turkey to get some unknown bags or whatever out. I remember him lifting the wings out and chasing me around the house when we were young. But I had to do it and I know he would be proud of me but I missed him terrible that day. and only we know the emptiness of doing something that triggers happy days with our spouse and for the simple things of ife we counted on them for.

What a positive thread, everyone is conquering things and taking steps forward that's great, I also have been able to work in the yard now and get some much needed trimming done, it gives me peace working out there, I miss Ruth out there with me and the laughs and fun times we had doing the work together but I'm doing as she wanted keeping things intact and looking good....the flower beds are in full bloom and I have about 6-8 tomatoes between my two plants...I have plenty more steps to take but at least I'm started, as it sounds like many of you are as well..

God Bless All...

NATS