Grief Healing Discussion Groups

What Do Guys Do On Weekends?

Today is Friday and I have talked many times about how the weekends are the worst. I want to start enjoying the weekends like I used to. Other than some bike riding my weekends consist mostly of missing my wife, crying, and feeling kinda lost. By the time Sunday rolls around I'm worn out with grief and looking forward to going back to work. I work hard during the week and would like to get excited about the weekends again, I'm just not quite there. I have been stalled out lately and have had some physical issues that have kept me down a little but I really want to start moving again. Work preoccupies the mind for me during the week and I have less time to get inside my head, the weekends are almost like a sentence served each week. I know this will change in time but it can get pretty brutal at times. What are you guys doing with your weekends to stay out of your own way? Thanks for listening....BW

Hello Bill,

The weekends/days off are a bit of a challange, I work Sat and Sun now and have Mon and Tue off, not by choice that's the schedule for my position, during the last year I worked Tue-Fri and took off Sat Sun and Mon to be with and care for Ruth, we so enjoyed those days and they will always be special to me, we had some of the best times during those weekends....I have this weekend off as I worked another schedule covering for my supervisor and it's ironic how you posted this today, so for the most part on my days off I have a routine of chores, laundry, yard work, and a grocery/Walmart run on Mon and Tue, but since I have this weekend off I am going to the beach Sat with Brenda my new friend then dinner afterwards (we pack for the day and cleanup after beach), both of our spouses did not care for the beach and we both love it so we go whenever I can get off Sat and Sun, Sunday we are going to watch her grandchildren for several hours and have dinner, we both find if we stay busy doing things together or on our own those days pass much easier....I have several small projects around the house I work on if all else fails....I pray you can find a comfort zone for your weekends so you can get past those days without dread....hope I gave at least a bit of help....

NATS

the weekends are almost like a sentence served each week.

It's that way for all of us...I keep busy doing housework/chores/cooking, etc. on Saturday and Sunday I go to church. I think it'd be easier if I was retired because I could schedule some things to look forward to but as it is, there's just me to do things around the place and I don't have much time for doing fun things, it does make it hard to look forward to weekends. I used to enjoy taking the dogs for rides/walks but the transmission went out on my truck so now I can't even do that. :(

Well I'm not a guy but being non-working cause of age, I have 7 days of nothing now. Weekends are worse still cause during the week family is by more often but out of town a lot on weekends until the snow comes. I don't want to go to the lake with any of them so I sit here stareing at a tv and not watching it, and being very sad and lonely. My cat always has to kiss me good morning each day to start my day. And if I cry he sits by my head with his legs around my neck. Tries to comfort me. We used to wait for weekends, but now they are the worst. I finally did start back going to church alone, so I do have something to get up for 1 day of the week.

I am not a guy; but, I agree weekends are pretty bad. It was five months ago today that I lost my husband. I still feel like everyday I am just barely surviving. I have not idea what to do to have "fun"; or if I am even ready to have fun. We were homebodies; but it did not matter becaue we were together. I hate Fridays because everyone is so excited about the weekend; they talk about what they will do with their spouses and families and I don't have anyone. I keep hoping things will get better...

The best weekends I have are the ones where I have a concrete plan. No wishy, washy what am I going to do? Pre-set goals, whether they are for home projects, book reading , sports ect.. No down time. Total plan. Try it, see if it works. My other criteria is that some of the time has to include leaving the house, spending some time with others and reaching out. Plan your weekend like it was work.

Good luck! Cheryl

I might have to try that - plan my weekend. I'm still on sick leave, so weekends shouldn't feel any different than other days, but they do. I find myself sitting at the kitchen table every morning, trying to get some energy to do something - anything. I have to walk the dog every day, but it's hard to find the motivation to do much else. On weekdays - there are often offices I need to visit, calls I need to make. Weekends - nothing. Who knows - maybe I need to move to a big city where there's always something going on. We live in the country and now that fall has set in, it's cold and lonely.

Melina

The best weekends I have are the ones where I have a concrete plan. No wishy, washy what am I going to do? Pre-set goals, whether they are for home projects, book reading , sports ect.. No down time. Total plan. Try it, see if it works. My other criteria is that some of the time has to include leaving the house, spending some time with others and reaching out. Plan your weekend like it was work.

Good luck! Cheryl

After I read this I started thinking, the weekends that I actually had some plans to go someplace or do something specific were a little easier. That's a pretty good idea, thanks. Sometimes the answers are the simplest thing possible. I have done a lot of the same things that you outlined and it does help, I just have to remember that idle time is not one of my best friends right now. This weekend has already started off better than the two previous, progress right? Thank you all for you kindness and responses.......BW

This is something I've employed since Jim broke up with me...since the weekends were our time together, it is real hard now that I'm alone again. I try to keep super busy. I wish it was with something fun, but alas, most of it is household chores, ugh! Not exactly something to look forward to but at least I'm spared the commute and I have my dog's companionship. If nothing else, in another five years my place should be good and cleaned up! (I've been here 33 years and there's a lot of stuff to go through). Today my neighbor dropped by for an hour or so, it was a welcome break from cleaning/organizing. :)

My weekends are generally quite busy as it is my all day time with Kailyn. I agree that keeping busy helps a lot. But I also like to have some quiet time to reflect, usually once Kailyn is in bed.

Korina